Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Crash course in crock pot cooking please!

SomeoneNew

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 11:32 pm
So we just got a crock pot and I want to make cholent. Haven't ever made it before (yes, I know how crazy that sounds!). What do I need to know so that it doesn't burn or boil dry or something else terrible?

All I know is that it has 5 heat settings. I've always avoided getting one because I really do worry about fires and cooking disasters. Please help!

SS6099

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 11:45 pm
One tip that helps me prevent burning the food: I use crockpot bags which require water in between the bag and base. This prevents sticking to the bottom.
Cook on high for about 4 hours and then medium setting until serving. And check the liquid level before Shabbos.

SingALong

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 8:55 am
Every crockpot is different. I have one that needs to be on low from before shabbos or else the food gets burned.
Another needs to be on the highest setting, and even then the Food isn't super cooked, it's just done.
Try the first shabbos on high erev shabbos, change to medium for shabbos. If you see it needs to be cooked more next week set it on high. If you see it burned on the bottom put on a lower setting next week.

Cholent recipe: soak beans in water Thursday night (barley, navy beans, cholent bean mix)
Friday morning: rinse beans very well in strainer.put 1 cup water in pot and place cholent bag inside. Pour beans into bag in crock pot. Add peeled cut potatoes. Add meat/chicken. I use flanken and a marrow bone. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder. Add water till food is covered.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus