Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tipping bus driver

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 1:50 pm
I have 2 boys going to daycamp. Door-to-door bus service is included in the camp fees. Twice this summer the bus has zipped right past our house without stopping to pick them up. Once we managed to flag it down around the corner and driver/bus counselor claimed they did not see the camp bags on our porch so they thought boys aren't coming to camp today (but front door was open!) and second time we didn't even notice the bus skip us but the driver said the same thing when he brought the boys home (and again, the front door was open and boys were standing by the screen door inside the house waiting, wearing their camp bags). So now the camp sent out a suggested tip letter and I am not sure how to handle it. I usually give a double tip or a 1.5x tip since it's 2 boys but 1 stop. I think I will give a single tip this year. But should I write a note explaining why I do not think bus driver or counselor's service to me this summer is worthy of the full double tip or will that cause hurt feelings and I am better off giving the smaller tip without saying anything?

SplitPea

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:
I have 2 boys going to daycamp. Door-to-door bus service is included in the camp fees. Twice this summer the bus has zipped right past our house without stopping to pick them up. Once we managed to flag it down around the corner and driver/bus counselor claimed they did not see the camp bags on our porch so they thought boys aren't coming to camp today (but front door was open!) and second time we didn't even notice the bus skip us but the driver said the same thing when he brought the boys home (and again, the front door was open and boys were standing by the screen door inside the house waiting, wearing their camp bags). So now the camp sent out a suggested tip letter and I am not sure how to handle it. I usually give a double tip or a 1.5x tip since it's 2 boys but 1 stop. I think I will give a single tip this year. But should I write a note explaining why I do not think bus driver or counselor's service to me this summer is worthy of the full double tip or will that cause hurt feelings and I am better off giving the smaller tip without saying anything?

A tip is for good service they received a salary and gave you sub par service. I would tip $1. Enough to let them know you didn't forget to tip but to also show you were not happy with the service.

But then again I am not from NY and don't believe in tipping everyone and their mother....

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:

When my daughter was a bus counselor, the thing that annoyed her most were the kids who were not in front of their houses, ready to go, when the bus was scheduled to arrive. It meant stopping, sometimes for several minutes, sometimes requiring her to go knock on people's doors. And, of course, it meant that every other parent down the line would get angry with her, because the bus was late and their kids had to wait. Can you imagine if everyone did that? With 12 stops, if the driver had to wait 3 of 4 minutes for each kid, the last kid could be stuck waiting for more than half an hour!

So, my first question is, where are your kids supposed to be when the bus arrives? If they're supposed to be waiting for the bus, then you can't really blame the bus driver or counselor for not stopping when they weren't. They really can't read your mind to know that open door means that your kids, who are nowhere in sight were going to camp.

If they're not expected to be waiting when the bus arrives, then you should definitely complain to the camp, but still tip a lesser amount.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 2:59 pm
They were waiting right by the door but inside the house. Am I unreasonable to expect a toot of the horn and not just a drive by (that was so quick we missed it even though we were watching and waiting?)? During the school year, the bus stop is on the corner, and the driver is sweet enough to glance down the block incase my son is running from the house to the bus stop on the corner. Here I should be getting door-to-door and the driver can't stop long enough in front of the house for my sons to open the screen door?
Seriously, if I am in the wrong here, I would give a full tip and feel bad that I am not happy with the service. It didn't occur to me that I might be unreasonable to expect the bus actually stop only if the boys are standing at the curb. I figure it works like a carpool- you watch/listen out for the car or the toot and run out with the child to buckle them in.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 3:07 pm
I live in ny too and they told me to have the kids waiting inside because they said it was give or take a few min, and they always honk and the few tones we wernt looking - the bus counselor always came and knocked on our door. At least the camp I send too I assume that's part of the bill - and I plan to tip the bus driver and counselor. When they get home I also wait inside and when I hear a honk go out.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 16 2013, 1:28 pm
amother wrote:
I live in ny too and they told me to have the kids waiting inside because they said it was give or take a few min, and they always honk and the few tones we wernt looking - the bus counselor always came and knocked on our door. At least the camp I send too I assume that's part of the bill - and I plan to tip the bus driver and counselor. When they get home I also wait inside and when I hear a honk go out.

OK thanks for that!

mommydiaries

Post Fri, Aug 16 2013, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
They were waiting right by the door but inside the house. Am I unreasonable to expect a toot of the horn and not just a drive by (that was so quick we missed it even though we were watching and waiting?)? During the school year, the bus stop is on the corner, and the driver is sweet enough to glance down the block incase my son is running from the house to the bus stop on the corner. Here I should be getting door-to-door and the driver can't stop long enough in front of the house for my sons to open the screen door?
Seriously, if I am in the wrong here, I would give a full tip and feel bad that I am not happy with the service. It didn't occur to me that I might be unreasonable to expect the bus actually stop only if the boys are standing at the curb. I figure it works like a carpool- you watch/listen out for the car or the toot and run out with the child to buckle them in.

Yes that's the way our bus works. Kids are ready, bus honks, they go out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics