Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Quinoa
1  2  Next

dr pepper

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 2:54 pm
does anyone know what brand of quinoa is prefereable to buy for pesach? from what I know, it doesn't need kosher certification, but for pesach should be packaged in a facility that doesn't package chometz products.

so far the only brand I can find in my store is from arrowhead mills, which definitely processes chometz.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 2:57 pm
Translation please. Scratching Head Help Question

dr pepper

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:03 pm
lol, ok...

quinoa is is seed that is more like a grain, and can be eaten as a replacement for rice, barley, couscous, things like that. it is kosher for pesach and not kitniyos either.

so it's klp, but a lot of companies that package it also package pasta and other chometz so it's preferable not to buy from those companies for pesach. I'm asking if anyone knows a company that doesn't package chometz, I'm thinking along the lines of an allergen-free manufacturer.

sorry, is that any clearer?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:08 pm
dr pepper wrote:

sorry, is that any clearer?

Yes. Thank you. (It sounds like manna. Fills you up and is also kosher l'Pesach. I thought only potatoes did that trick.) 8)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:24 pm
I remember it being kitniyos, not chometz.

dr pepper

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:26 pm
Star-K and OU say it's not.

yoyosma

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:28 pm
edit

Last edited by yoyosma on Thu, Mar 08 2007, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

cindy324

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:30 pm
Oooohhh...a variation instead of potatoes. I never tried quinoa but it's very healthy, and as soon as someone answers your question, I will try it for pesach! LOL

yoyosma

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:31 pm
We made it with fried onions and tomatoes. It was really good.

dr pepper

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:33 pm
yoyosma wrote:
We made it with fried onions and tomatoes. It was really good.

So do you know what brand you used? Did you have to check it before pesach?

yoyosma

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:34 pm
Here is the recipe thread for Quinoa.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....aafa7

Last edited by yoyosma on Thu, Mar 08 2007, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Helani

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:48 pm
The following Passover notice is from KOAOA on January 31, 2007.

Quinoa seed (I.e. not flour, and not flakes) under the certification of Kosher Overseers is acceptable kfp without further checking. These products are sold under the brand names of Ancient Harvest and Trader Joe's.
ed. note: Quinoa must be in closed boxes.

(http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/PAlerts/)

dr pepper

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:51 pm
excellent, thanks!

withhumor

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 4:42 pm
where can I buy it in Boro Park? What does it look like?

cindy324

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 5:17 pm
withhumor, I'm planning to buy some , too. when I find it I'll let you know where I got it unless you find it before me, then you gotta let me know, but I would assume that Pathmark may sell those brands, or maybe Shoprite.

withhumor

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 5:19 pm
Gee thanks, I’m looking forward to introducing this to our diet.

Re: Chestnuts:

My grandmother used to make this: cut an X on the top of fresh chestnuts with the shells. Then bake them in the oven, pure heavenly, you eat them hot, they’re buttery creamy.

How long to bake it? and simply wrap them in silver foil? It’s a great source of protein, no?

Boys"R"Us

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 12:31 am
I'm not sure if chestnuts are protein or not. but I can tell you that they need to bake about 45 min. And I don't cover them at all.

taffy

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 12:44 am
Any health food store would have quinoa.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 1:12 am
I make tabouli from it. We LOVE it.

From kosher.com: Quinoa: The Grain That's Not
Copyright © 2006 Star-K Kosher Certification. All rights reserved.
By Rabbi Tzvi Rosen, Star-K Kashrus Administrator; Editor, Kashrus Kurrents
reprinted with permission from the Star-K

Tired of potatoes, potatoes, potatoes for Pesach? Try quinoa ("Keen-Wa"), a sesame-seed-sized kernel first brought to the United States from Chile nineteen years ago, according to Rebecca Theurer Wood. Quinoa has been cultivated in the Andes Mountains for thousands of years, growing three to six feet tall despite high altitudes, intense heat, freezing temperatures, and as little as four inches of annual rainfall. Peru and Bolivia maintain seed banks with 1,800 types of quinoa.

Quinoa was first grown outside of South America fifteen years ago, says Wood: Steve Gorad and Don McKinley, wishing to market quinoa in the United States, had commissioned a farmer to see if quinoa would grow in the Colorado Rockies. It did.

Seeds range in color from pink and orange to blue-black, purple, and red. However, once their natural saponin coating is washed off, the seeds are pale yellow.

Kosher for Passover Status: Quinoa was determined to be Kosher L'Pesach. It is not related to the chameishes minei dagan-five types of grain products, nor to millet or rice. Quinoa is a member of the "goose foot" family, which includes sugar beets and beet root. The Star-K tested quinoa to see if it would rise. The result was as Chazal termed, sirchon; the quinoa decayed - it did not rise. Furthermore, quinoa does not grow in the vicinity of chometz, nor does its growth resemble kitniyos (see Igros Moshe O.C. Vol. 3, 63). Therefore, quinoa is 100% Kosher L'Pesach. It is recommended to purchase from manufacturers that do not process Chometz grains. Consumers are urged to carefully check grains before Pesach for extraneous matter.

Quinoa Preparation: To avoid burning the delicate kernels, pour the quinoa into boiling water (twice as much water as quinoa), turn off the flame, and cover the pot. The quinoa will continue to cook itself, is ready in ten minutes or less, and can be served like rice. Quinoa is a translucent dish with more calcium, iron, and protein than wheat, and is gluten free.

Excerpt from http://oukosher.org/index.php/.....4830/

Iggeros Moshe explains that the minhag to not eat kitnios developed differently than other minhagim and therefore rules that only foods which we know were specifically included in the minhag are forbidden. [See also Chok Yaakov 453:9 who makes a similar point]. With this he explains the generally accepted custom to not consider potatoes to be kitnios even though logically they should be, as follows: the minhag of kitnios can be dated back at least until Maharil, who died in 1427, and potatoes didn’t come to Europe until the 16th century, so potatoes were a “new” vegetable which wasn’t included in the minhag. This logic has also been suggested as a basis for permitting the consumption on Pesach of a grain called quinoa. The thinking is that since quinoa, which has only recently been introduced to the Northern Hemisphere from its native South America, was never considered kitnios, it remains permitted on Pesach even though logically it should be included in the minhag. While this logic is sound, it is noteworthy that quinoa is often packaged in plants that also package wheat and barley, and it is possible that those grains (I.e. chametz) could get mixed into the quinoa. Therefore, before using quinoa on Pesach, someone who knows how to distinguish between these grains should check the quinoa to ascertain that it doesn’t contain any wheat or barley. An important “exception” to the aforementioned rule that “new” vegetables aren’t included in the minhag, is corn/maize which Mishnah Berurah 453:4 and others rule is kitnios even though it was introduced to Europe after the minhag had already begun.

Mishie

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 1:33 am
Here's a picture of what the Quinoa looks like:

I just want to add: It's really important to rinse the quinoa well, under water, before cooking it. It tends to have a bitter coating, which comes off very easily with water.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics