Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
The ultimate travel, making aliya, what do we take?

Liba

Post Fri, Sep 24 2004, 7:40 am
I am trying desperately to declutter and get ready to move. We aren't going for 9 months so we have time to pare down, but what do I keep?

I figured that I should get rid of all my electrics because of the currency change but was just told that we won't be able to get some stuff 220 so we should run it on a converter (like my icecream maker).

I am hoping to get things down to a bare minumum so we can fit everything, without stress, into a 20 foot container.

I also have a whole lot of questions that I am having a hard time getting answered.

Someone told us not to officialy make aliya because since I am going to be making an American salary I would have to pay American taxes and then Israeli taxes, but they could't tell us what the rates would be and all my googleing hasn't helped. I really want to officially make aliya but I have to make sure we can financially make it if we are paying taxes twice.

Heath care also has me worried. My oldest has a lot of medical issues. She doesn't make digestive enzymes and has regular gastroenterologist appointments because of that and has to be followed by a hematologist for potentiial bone marrow failure. She has low muscle tone and has occupational therapy twice a week because of that and physical therapy once a week as well as regular neurology appointments and yearly head MRIs to watch her scar tissue. She has an othotist that we see to make her ankle braces and an orthopedist to make sure they are doing their job and to give us prescriptions for the braces. There is more, but you get the picture! She is a wonderful, functional child who goes to regular school and is top in her class accademically, but physically she is a battery of issues and I need to make sure we can keep her healthy. I was told that we may not qualify for "gold" kupat cholim insurance because of her issues. I doubt standard kupat cholim will be good enough. How expensive is private insurance and what does it cover? How do we find out if her medications are available in Israel? In America she has government insurance in addition to her private insurance. The govt insurance picks up all copays and everything that her private insurance doesn't pay. She also gets SSI payments to help with her extra expenses.

Enough for now, my kids just work up and I have to get everyone ready for the day!

Thanks for any help of chizuk!

Gmar chasima tova and an easy fast!

sharon

Post Fri, Sep 24 2004, 10:35 am
Kol Hakavod to you! Are you going via an agency, I.e. Nefesh B'Nefesh? Perhaps even if you aren't you can call them up and pick their brain, or any other such agencys that promote aliyah?

I wish you much hatzlachah and a gmar tov!

BelovedBird

Post Sat, Sep 25 2004, 8:00 pm
Liba, wow! I didn't know you were making aliya. Please pm me your email address, dh did alot of research on this for others and I have tons of advice for you.

As far as the "private insurance" it won't help you get better care, if there even is such a thing, as far as I know. It would also probably be astronomical. You can pay for "mashleem" or "magen" which is kupat cholim with extras. I would start by calling doctors or others with kids with special medical needs to see what they do. I don't know how medical stuff works though if you are not Israeli. I can try to make some calls for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating