Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
I got invited for whole pesach

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 11:45 am
We got invited to move in with family out of town. I feel uncomfortable believing that theyre serious. We rarely keep up or talk and suddenly theyre like sure move in come all the days. It sounds too good to be true and I told dh perhaps we should go but stay at a motel near them instead. he says if you get invited , go. Considering how many kids will be under one roof combined, im very hesitant. What would you do?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 11:47 am
I would write them a very nice check for their expenses, go and help a lot, and hope they don't get sick of me and kick me out after a few days!!!!!!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 12:02 pm
Ok, I hear you. tx

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 12:08 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I would write them a very nice check for their expenses, go and help a lot, and hope they don't get sick of me and kick me out after a few days!!!!!!

If you need to write a big chaeck and help a lot-why don't you stay home already?

shanie5

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 12:16 pm
cuz its still easier not to have to do all the cleaning and cooking and planning ...................................

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 1:19 pm
EVERYONE has to help on Pesach, unless you're going to a hotel.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 1:44 pm
do you know the kind of situation you'll be stayin in - we don't want another mishap of unhappy guests - If I were you I would find out what kind of room they actually have for you so you know - like if they plan to throw you all in the living room or stuff like that - or maybe you don't mind.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 1:46 pm
She's not going for a rest, is she? She's going for yomtov.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 1:48 pm
She's not going for a rest, is she?hje's going tor yomtov.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:18 pm
We will go for a rest because we cant afford a full blown vacation in a hotel. We don’t mind pitching in moneywise but I don’t think they’ll accept. Once we went away and brought with us a case of gefilte fish to Israel, they were so happy.

BlumaG

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 7:13 pm
I wud go but bring a case of wine and my own matzos which dpeending on the size family shud b less than $150 together

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 4:23 am
I think bring a case or 2 of wine is a very nice idea - it is also a typical thing a guest would bring. Plus you could find out if she needs any pesach dishes or machines and buy that.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 5:42 am
I dont know what she needs. we never keep up. matzos to shlep out of town is kinda dumb

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 5:52 am
well it depends on how you are traveling cause matza is an obvious staple & one that is expensive and for sure you and your family will be eating ... so it's not so dumb to bring matzo. anyway ... maybe you could figure out with the person whom you are going to and just say I would rather bring s/t that is good for you rather than what I may think is good ... so what can u use. And sometimes when people live out of town they do not have the same amenities as those of you from let's say NY
I once brought a family a pile of rosemary chocolate bars with a big ribbon - variety of flavors - cause in my fam we love em - especially on pesach ... the wine idea is also useful - try a variety with dif grape juices as well for kiddies - that could be fun ...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 7:11 am
The few times we went away we def brought our own matzos and gave the ppl a nice chunk of money AND worked like animals there. Pesach is a lot of work and expense!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 7:18 am
We invited a family (cousins) for Pesach. They told DH to buy matza separately for them & they are going to give us $$ towards the cost of Pesach. I would never ask for $ but I think what they offered is the right thing to do.

ssbarnes

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 4:18 am
A few years back we were invited to stay with another family for Pesach. (She needed help with cleaning and we were living in an extended stay hotel.) I helped with the cleaning and paid for half of the food. About day 7 it got to be too much for our hostess. She said some things that I felt were offensive. I didn't say anything to her. I just took my children and walked to the park. We didn't come back for hours.

When we returned, she appologized. We both cried and we were fine. It was not a vacation. There were many people living in cramped living conditions and when we put 2 families together, there are likely to be conflicts.

We are still great friends and we now laugh about what happened.

ny_ima

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 3:08 pm
op I liked your stay at motel idea. this way you will also spend time together and you wont have to prepare the whole pesach... plus you wont get on eachothers nerves. its a looooooooooooong holiday, its not just a shabbos and its over.
will they expect you to recipricate the invitation, say for a summer stay or something? would you appreciate that? that would be your ultimate answer to whether take it or pass.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 4:01 pm
We have absolutely no room for guest, we never invite people to sleep over. We still didn’t confirm and im getting antsy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics