Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What are your Pesach dishes/flatware like?
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 4:53 pm
Mine are bright white China with gold rims and don't look as nice as they did when they were new . . . . I have nice gold flatware to match, with the gold stuff peeling off, and nice Arcroc glasses to drink from. I also have heavy silverware for Chol Hamoed, and tons of Tupperware .....

What do you have or wish you had?

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 5:24 pm
Truth is........ I can barely remember. The real stuff only gets brought out for sedarim, the rest of yomtov its plastic plastic and more plastic!

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 5:58 pm
Similar to what I use during the year - styrofoam.

curlyhead

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 8:08 pm
Disposable. The one time a year I dont wash dishes as I am too busy cooking. but I still have too wash the pots.

shanie5

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 10:14 pm
my dishes are round, the bowls concave (or is it convex?), the forks have 4 tines each.............................

shopaholic

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 10:24 am
Last year was our first Pesach that we made so I had a lot to buy. Therefore, we used plastic. This year I am going to buy silverware but I'm never getting dishes. I buy pretty papergoods for the seder & then the rest of the time it's plastic. My mother does the same.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 11:47 am
I don't blame you, momof3. If I hadn't gotten dishes as a shower present, I'm not so sure I would have bought them....and then I got the flatwear to match, not knowing it was poor quality....AND we have to store it all!

IMO the disposable plastic soup bowls are very nice and they hold a good amount of soup, not like the china bowls which can be skimpy.

Raisin

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 4:22 pm
nothing - just a few cheap pieces of cutlery. We make big sedarim and no dishwasher, so paperware.

ssbarnes

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 7:00 pm
Our dishes for Pesach are a very plain white. I can't remember what the flatware looks like. I guess that will be a nice surprise when I unpack everything.

We used to have the children use disposible for their dairy meals, but a couple of years ago DH bought this hideously ugly set from IKEA. It it white with these blue flowers that look like they were drawn blindfolded. It was $5 for the set including silverware. Thankfully I only have to look at them one week a year. LOL

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 8:46 pm
As I said, I've been making Pesach for 20 years and my plates and flatwear isn't nice looking anymore . . .so, what I wish I had?

I don't know!!!!! I often pass by housewears sections in stores, and never like what I see, so I think I'd just like nice glass plates, bowls, and pretty, good quality flatwear - and enough that I wouldn't have to wash over yomtov and just stick eveyrhting in the dishwasher, but maybe that's a pipedream . . .

I'm going to see how everything washes this year so if I buy anything, it'll be for Pesach 2008!!!!!

shayna82

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 8:50 pm
we got that pattern with the gold rims. I love it. and two sets of 8 glasses. 8 tall and 8 short. a nice set of flatware, enough for lots of guests. tons of spatuals and stuff like that. I got a nice amiount of mixing bowls, tupperware type containers, a big set of pyrex including doubles of some sizes. so this is what I figured. pesach, I dont have a seperate dishwasher.. and now that im bh expecting and with back pain, im NOT doing dishes, eventough most of the time I have nooo problem with them. so I think im gonna refrain from using the pans, and get disposable for the real cooking, like roasts and sheaperds pie and kuigels. and just use the nice deecorative bowls and platters which are easy to wash. sound good chocolate moouse?

mimsy7420

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 9:04 pm
shayna82 wrote:
we got that pattern with the gold rims. I love it. and two sets of 8 glasses. 8 tall and 8 short. a nice set of flatware, enough for lots of guests. tons of spatuals and stuff like that. I got a nice amiount of mixing bowls, tupperware type containers, a big set of pyrex including doubles of some sizes. so this is what I figured. pesach, I dont have a seperate dishwasher.. and now that im bh expecting and with back pain, im NOT doing dishes, eventough most of the time I have nooo problem with them. so I think im gonna refrain from using the pans, and get disposable for the real cooking, like roasts and sheaperds pie and kuigels. and just use the nice deecorative bowls and platters which are easy to wash. sound good chocolate moouse?

If your dishwasher is stainless steel you can buy seperate racks and use them for pesach. Obviously ask your own Rav. But that's what my parents did, although just buying the racks seperate is expensive. But it's probably worth it.

shayna82

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 9:07 pm
intersting, but its not steel... im just gonna do the disposable, im actually excited to do it in that, cuz then I can just pop it in the freezer and not worry that I need that pot for something else.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:06 pm
A lot of things are "preferable" to have, like stainless steel, but it all boils down to what you have is what you have . . .our apt came with certain appliance which cannot be changed. The OU Pesach bulletin said a dishwasher can be kashered by running it through two empty cycles, and DH agreed that we can do it.

Of course no one HAS to kasher their stove, oven, or dishwaser; it's a choice, and there were years that I had separate burners, etc., but I have found that using what I have for all year round is the best, most practical solution - it works well, heats right, and I'm used to it.

If we have any guests for Pesach, I'll definitely tell them that we're using the dishwasher so if they don't want to come, no problem . . .

And I like these glass dishes; anyone care to comment?

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/.....age=1

bashinda

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:10 pm
That reminds me of whether I'm going to use my oven for Pesach. It's a self cleaning oven and that's one of the reasons I got it and then a few people had to ruin my fun by saying that it might not be enough.

If I got Pesach dishes they'd be simple china. I like that better than glass. Actually I used to love Japanese style china, very simple but hardly practical at the moment.

shayna82

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:11 pm
I like those dishes, nice and airy, a new look... I say they are affordable enough, go for them!

are you for real that you can run the dishwasher twice and thats it to kasher it?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:20 pm
Yup! It's in the OU bulletin! For Kashering a dishwasher from chometz to Pesach, you run it twice through, empty!

BasHinda, as I said, you don't have to use the oven. PLenty of ppl don't......but we found we weren't happy without an oven...and if you want to be extra machmir, you can run the self cleaning cycle twice.

shopaholic

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:29 pm
It's funny. This thread got me thinking on Friday. I don't remember buying silverware last Pesach, but I don't remember using plastic either. I spoke to DH & he reminded me that we got silverware as a wedding present & saved it for when we make Pesach. I guess that's one less thing to buy this year!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:35 pm
BasHinda, I have a separate, decorated tablecloth for Pesach, which I suppose isn't minhag Lub either - most ppl go for a plain white tablecloth, right? Mine is full of orange, blue and yellow flowers......so my plates have to be pretty plain to match - not that I can't just wash a white tablecloth or buy something new, but I look forward to it every year !!!

Anyway, I constantly look at dishes when I'm out and about, and hate most patterns . . .I grew up with nice glassware so I guess that's what I'm used to!

Shayna, do you really think the price is okay? It's per plate and per bowl, not per set - I don't want a set anyway, I find for Pesach we need a just medium sized plates and a nice big soup bowl . . . I'm not really sure what things cost, I see such a variety of prices these days!

bashinda

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:35 pm
I do use the oven though. guess I better call a Rav
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics