Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Knaidel-Klutz-Proof Matzah Ball Recipe?

Ima'la

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 8:04 am
Anyone have a foolproof recipe for light and fluffy knaidlach? Easy is a plus! LOL

The first year we made Pesach, my knaidlach came out delicious. Apparently it was beginner's luck, b/c since then... Rolling Eyes

cindy324

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 11:39 am
you mean knaidlach with matzo meal? I finally perfected 'em after years of eating golfballs LOL

Firstly, I cook them longer than the 20 minutes it says on the box. I leave it cooking on low flame for at least 30 minutes , sometimes even 40 minutes. Also about halfway through, I turn the balls in the water. They come out soft and fluffy through and through.

Ima'la

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 6:37 pm
thanks cindy...so cooking them longer makes them fluffier?

btw, yes, I did mean with matza meal.

does anyone have a recipe (not a mix)? c'mon - only one response? only 2 Imamotherers are making knaidlach this Pesach?

shalhevet

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 6:47 pm
Beat an egg with a fork. Add matza-meal (I can't remember how much - I'll check it up later; I think 100g) , 50g margarine, 4 tblspoons ground almonds, 4 tblspns hot chicken soup (water doesn't taste so good), salt and pepper. Beat together. It should be a little too runny to make into balls. Put in the fridge for an hour (this is the secret to them being fluffy). Form balls, drop them into boiling soup (or water). Put the lid back on, bring back to the boil, then simmer and do not take the lid off for 40 minutes.

(And we don't eat gebrokts ... I make them after Pesach to use up the leftover matza, which is why I can't remember the recipe exactly)

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 9:57 pm
1/2 cup matzo meal
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil

beat eggs and oil add matzo meal let stand 15 min then with wet hands roll into balls and put into boiling soup for 20 min.
My mother actually add fried onions and some parsley to hers ...

S.Shcwartz

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 10:08 pm
Is there a recipe for non-gebroktz? Is it possible at all without matza meal?

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 10:23 pm
S.Shcwartz wrote:
Is there a recipe for non-gebroktz? Is it possible at all without matza meal?

non gebroktz - how would that be possible they are called matzo balls ... just wait till last day ... or after pesach ... some people make these egg and potatoe starch noodles if you need s/t ...

S.Shcwartz

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 10:28 pm
So how is that done? Make a blintz and cut into strips?

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 10:31 pm
we gotta wait for someone to tell you ... sorry don't know ...

shanie5

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 11:23 pm
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup water
tsp salt
dash or 3 of pepper
4 eggs
1 cup matzoh meal
1/4- 1/2 tsp baking powder.

mix all (put baking powder in after matzoh meal, not before. put in fridge for 1/2 hour. boil water or soup (soup is much better for flavor) make balls and boil knaidlach for 20 plus minutes. I usually put mine straight into the soup 1/2 hour b4 shabbos, and they are perfect when served.

withhumor

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 11:23 am
To make ‘egg noodles’, mix eggs with a drop of salt and oil, and fluff it in between every few crepes that have to make on the stove in a frying pan. (enjoy! Uggggggg!)

Store in the fridge but be aware, it doesn’t last to long in the fridge, so freeze it instead. What you do is you take a few crepes and roll them up very tightly into a roll, and start slicing very thinly, this method saves a lit of time. you can pre-cut them and freeze them in zip-lock bags and take them out before each meal and put on top of the soup pot to warm. Or you can dump it into pot, then it’s fluffy… but not everyone likes it in the pot…

For knaidlach that are non gebrokts, you try ground chicken and mashed potato, miniature balls…

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 12:10 pm
For fluffy matzo balls- I use sprite- the recipe calls for seltzer, but I don't drink seltzer and never have it in the house, but sprite we have- so that's what I use and they come out big and fluffy.

Ima'la

Post Sat, Mar 31 2007, 3:01 pm
I used your recipe shanie - thought since mine were coming out too dense, the baking powder might help - and I cooked them for 40 min. like cindy said.......and they came out PERFECT!!! Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics