Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Thoughts?

ForeverLearning

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 6:17 pm
Ok, so I've had set in my mind from the beginning of the pregnancy that if it's a boy, we're going to name him Akiva Yonah (it's my turn to name this one lol). But lately, I've been having second thoughts about the name and am not sure what to do about it. Oh, and I'm 38 1/2 weeks and it's gonna be a boy, iy"H. Thoughts?

timtam

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 6:18 pm
Sounds lovely to me. But why are you having second thoughts? Is he bring named after anyone? Is Yonah for Yom Kippur?

ForeverLearning

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 6:21 pm
I'm not sure why I'm having second thoughts, to be honest. It's just this feeling I've been getting on and off that it might not be the best name. He's not being named after anyone, so I kind of have free reign on this one.

Haha, that's so cute, I actually didn't think of Yom Kippur when I picked Yonah. I just thought that Rabbi Akiva and Yonah HaNavi (in terms of his dedication to klal yisroel) would be the kind of role models I'd want my son to have.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 6:21 pm
Nothing needs to be completely decided upon now. You have a week after he's born to figure it out. We had 4 names for DD#2 and couldn't decide which one to use until after she was born. When we got to know her after a day or 2 her name became clear. Why don't you wait until after he's born and see how you feel then?

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 9:39 pm
I agree with bubbebia. We chose a name for dd the night before she was born. After she was born I realized the name was wrong. After lots of discussion about it, a friend called me to wish mazal tov. I thought "she has a dd named Shira." And thats when we found dd's name.

sababa

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 3:45 am
If you're having second thoughts why don't you come up with a few alternatives and maybe once the baby is born you'll feel right about one.

acccdac

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 9:14 am
Is it possible that it's bothering you that you are not naming after someone?

It's funny cause when I saw your title it reminded me of my line in seminary "I will either marry an Akiva or name a son Akiva."

My oldest is Akiva, when I suggested the name to my dh at 4 months he was happy with it. (No one who needed a name) as the due date got closer the one name didn't sound right, also my grandfather had a brother Akiva (he's written about in sfarim) who was named Akiva and I felt a name should be added. We decided to add my grandfathers name. We made Akiva the second name but that is what we call him.

When he was born on lag b'omer 2 weeks early we knew the Akiva was that right name but we did still use the second name.

ForeverLearning

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 10:44 am
acccdac wrote:
Is it possible that it's bothering you that you are not naming after someone?

It's funny cause when I saw your title it reminded me of my line in seminary "I will either marry an Akiva or name a son Akiva."

My oldest is Akiva, when I suggested the name to my dh at 4 months he was happy with it. (No one who needed a name) as the due date got closer the one name didn't sound right, also my grandfather had a brother Akiva (he's written about in sfarim) who was named Akiva and I felt a name should be added. We decided to add my grandfathers name. We made Akiva the second name but that is what we call him.

When he was born on lag b'omer 2 weeks early we knew the Akiva was that right name but we did still use the second name.

B"H, we have no one in the family to name after, so I wanted to name after someone in our history.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 11:54 am
I think you chose beautiful names for a wonderful reason ... & remember it's navuah - so if it's meant to change you'll know at the right time ... b'shaah tova !!!

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 11:59 am
p.s. I had a name for my child right up until she was born & then it got changed ~ definitely a pleasant surprise with a lot of hashgocha that one can sometimes only see later in life

ForeverLearning

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 5:44 pm
Wow, Hashem is so amazing. Just an update: Because I had been having this nagging feeling that we should change the name we had originally picked out for our future DS, I did a little digging and found out that there were two people on my side of the family that we could name after, so we're changing the name to Aryeh (my father's uncle) Leib (my mother's grandfather). This just struck me as such an awesome case of hashgacha pratis and bina yiseira that I wanted to share Smile

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 3:09 pm
happy that you found a name. I really want to use the name yonah as I am having a boy soon. we need to use another name, one of dh's grandfathers. the problem is that dh thinks yonah is a second name and doesn't go as the first name. I really want it to be the first name b/c that's what I'm going to call him. thoughts? thanks!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 3:10 pm
Why would a name only be a second name, beshitta? lol

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 3:16 pm
I think he means it sounds better. like for example, chaim yonah sounds better than yonah chaim. whatever, he'll get used to it! I decided I'm not discussing names until after the baby is born!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names