Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help with my 8 year old

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:29 am
I got a phone call last night from my daughter's teacher.

Evidently my daughter decided not to study for her spelling test, and to cheat off of her friend. She was caught and a note was sent home. Then evidently, in an attempt to keep me from finding out.. She scribbled a signature!!! shock

So this morning I called her on it and she hid in her closet and cried.

On top of it her father is coming intown this weekend, so she's very anxious.

So the school called today and said she yelled at the teacher.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

btw: when I found out she cheated and called her on it. I told her I was more disappointed that she faked my signature, and that she knows she can come to me for anything. I hugged her and told her I love her no matter what, and we pinky promised that she would not do it again.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:30 am
She's one crafty, smart kid is all I can say. Sorry, no help here. Good Luck!

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:34 am
I think that you talked to her was the most important thing here. Continue to let her know that it is okay to make mistakes and that when she needs help you'll be there. Also tell her that even though it's nice to get good grades - it is certainly better to get a bad grade truthfully than to cheat and that next time she can try and do better. And I agree she certainly is very crafty for thinking to fake your signature Wink

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:50 am
Maybe you could schedule a meeting with the teacher and head off some of the issues. Get the teacher to give you advance notice of tests and have a behavior reward system.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:55 am
thanks southern

We are already doing that, problem is getting her to bring home her backpack with the homework..

Then the other problem is that I am in college and somedays.. I have tons of homework and other days my brain is simply hurting from exams.. Then other days, I need to clean for PESACH.

Yes I do make sure to spend individual time with all of them, but there are three of them vying for my attension when they arehome.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 11:01 am
Is there an older girl who would stay after school with her and eat snacks and do homework before she comes home? If that is not possible, could she go to the home of a teen who would help her with the homework and then bring her home? Does she have a classmate that she could buddy up with and study together?

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 11:20 am
I wish... it's just not that type of community here..

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 11:50 am
tell her that for her own good she needs to not catch the habit of cheating, or it will become harder and harder to learn and really work... I caught the habit because the whole class was doing it and I've become such a lazy girl... although, getting caught in higher classes can be very dangerous, she could get expelled or unable to take an exam for years. Tell her, I' m sure she can understand.

granolamom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 8:25 pm
I'm with Ruchel...explain the problem with cheating. well aside that its just plain WRONG. she'll lose credibility, others won't trust her, etc. your dd sounds bright, I'm sure she can understand this. but sometimes kids do dumb things!
I'd also tell her you understand why she may have thought it was a good idea to cheat/forge signature, ask her what else she could have done (get a wrong answer? own up to you about the cheating?) and what would've happened had she made another choice.

you have a prime teaching opportunity....grab it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics