Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Making kids own up to what they did wrong

gryp

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 6:48 am
How do I gently bring my 3 year old to come to terms with the fact that he did something wrong and he needs to fix what he did?

When I try and talk to him to show him what happened, he can't handle it. He doesn't want to hear, he just starts screaming- "Don't talk to me! Talk to someone else!" (which makes me laugh LOL ) and he throws a fit.

When I wait to talk to him about it later, I don't feel that it's as effective. ie, the mess has already been cleaned up, his younger brother has completely forgotten that he was hit, etc.

I try to tell him a bedtime story every night about a little boy who did just what he did and what happened because of that, etc, but I can't tell if I;m making any progress.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 6:52 am
Well.. you can tell him that you don't want to talk to someone else, since someone else didn't do XYZ. Or you can give him the choice... of either discussing it calmly and fixing whatever or he can sit in the corner in time out and THEN you'll discuss it and he'll fix whatever.

He needs to understand that actions have consequences and not wanting to hear about it isn't the solution.

gryp

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 6:55 am
Quote:
Or you can give him the choice... of either discussing it calmly and fixing whatever or he can sit in the corner in time out and THEN you'll discuss it and he'll fix whatever.

I like that, thanx!

JMto2

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 7:15 am
I have to sometimes control myself from hitting my daughter what I do is I put her on a stool in the dining room and she has to sit there for 2 minutes I set the timer and she can not talk because she is thinking about what she did wrong and by then she is calmer and talks and I make her apologize
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics