Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
College

How many people went to college in class having baby children at home.
yes  
 51%  [ 14 ]
no  
 29%  [ 8 ]
 7%  [ 2 ]
waited for children to be in school  
 7%  [ 2 ]
had a full time babysiter  
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

babalushka

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:01 pm
I know it is not really working but it has many hours and then when you leave there is still more hours of hmw and test, so I consider it a job too. Any advice how people manage it, now I am almost finished my B.A but people have been telling me do not even apply to a M.A program because then you will have no time for your child, is that true? and how did others handle it.
P.S I am a single mother and in college until 9 pm once a week and 5 pm other days.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:04 pm
I took a year off.
Then I only had to come once a month, they made a special schedule for me. BH. So I came there with dh and baby dd and he took care of her while I was busy !

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:05 pm
I'm a sahm and finishing college. the trick is to take as many easy courses as you can. take what you can online. it's a lot of work, but no sitting in class elsewhere. you can do your coursework while the kids sleep.

as for masters, there are a lot of good programs online now. that might be more doable for you. many women do this, but it does require a support system in place, even if it's just a relative volunteering to babysit from time to time.

bubbebia

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:14 pm
So many college courses are now available online these days. These days you can find long distance learning for everything from elementary school through graduate school. One of my DDs did her entire masters degree online, part time, without ever having to set foot on the campus of the school she got her degree from. And one of my other DDs is currently working on a program that is also online, though she has to be there for 3 2-day meetings over the course of 1 1/2 years. DSIL#1 has been working on finishing his BS online too. It's great for people who have to work full-time or those who have families and have a hard time making it to class. But a word of caution: make sure the program you choose is accredited! Good luck.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:20 pm
I'm all for online, if you can find what you need.
Caveat; you gotta be motivated...

Shana_H

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:23 pm
KOL HAKAVOD to you, may you be Matzliach in all that you do! Definately finish your BA! Definately go for your MA! Do it one class at a time and take as many classes as you can on-line. Remember something worth getting is worth fighting for!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:35 pm
It depends on the graduate program. Each one has different requirements, and some are more compatible with family life than others.

babalushka

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:45 am
Thank you all for your advice.

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:37 pm
I'm a single mom. I work full time and am currently finishing my second graduate degree. I have a roll of about five babysitters available to call, plus family members as back up in case of emergency. I also take out excess student loans to help me get by.

Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. It's not easy though! However your friends are right that you won't see your kids enough. But you shouldn't necessarily let that stop you; because of school you will have the potential to support your children and vastly improve your lives.

Be proud that you are empowering yourself with education. You are setting a wonderful example for your children!!

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:50 pm
If you're dealing fine with the BA, the masters might not be any harder, depending what type of degree you're going for. Compare programs carefully because some will be more cumbersome than others, both in terms of workload and scheduling.

Also consider the usefulness of a masters in your field. I don't know what you're in. Some fields you can't really do much at all without a masters, but others it pays to take a break and start working after your first degree because experience is more valuable and if you get a masters before getting experience, people don't want to hire because they will have to pay you more for your degree without getting the advantage of experience. Talk to people in your field to figure out which type of scenario applies.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:22 pm
I started college again as a single parent, mostly online, but one course I had on campus finished just before I had to pick up the kids from school and daycare went a bit over.

Now I am doing my BSN and it is entirely online because I am working and dealing with kids and now a husband too..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics