Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bamba for nine month old?

happy mommy6

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 6:25 pm
Can I give bamba to a nine month old? at what age can you introduce peanuts? there are no peanut allergies know in family... but he does have some eczema already.

watergirl

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 6:55 pm
I believe the drs say no peanuts until 2 years. I could be wrong. But its very unhealthy. Why are you wanting to fie it so soon?

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 7:32 pm
Peanuts are a choking hazard and aren't to be given to children under 5, but the introduction of allergen foods is controversial. The American Academy of Pediatrics used to say between ages 1-2, but new research shows that waiting that long is actually detrimental.

When I gave my kids peanuts I gave them bamba/peanut butter puffs at 9 months. I had benedryl on hand just in case, and don't give it on an Erev Shabbos or on Shabbos.

ladida

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 7:37 pm
totally agree with last poster.
I would wait til over a year b/c I think that is the recommendation for peanuts.
I gave my one year old bamba on a shabbos afternoon and had to go to the ER. We have no family history of food allergies on either side.
My baby had exzema too.
So do it on a weekday and when your baby is over one. Good luck

LisaS

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 1:40 am
I gave my son bamba at that age and don't see anything wrong with it. But then again, I live in Israel where allergies are much less common.

Bottom line - follow your pediatrician's advice.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 1:44 am
regardless of the peanut issue, why would you rush to give your baby total garbage?!?

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 5:00 am
If your baby already has eczema (and the source is unknown) I wouldn't. Pretty simply put, you don't know what could be causing the skin reaction, but you want to figure it out before you start introducing things that could cause it, or make it worse.

eli7

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 5:31 am
A good alternative are whole rice crackers (made from brown rice with nothing else added). If you're in Israel B&D makes a good version. My daughter loved these at that age (and still does).

Isramom8

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:22 am
Of course. Bamba is a baby food. How do you shop with a 9 month old in the cart without providing a bag of Bamba?

Sometimes my Israeliness scares me.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:56 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Of course. Bamba is a baby food. How do you shop with a 9 month old in the cart without providing a bag of Bamba?

I didn't know it was possible to be too young for bamba Ice cream

In a different thread we discussed that Israel has minimal peanut allergies cause kids are introduced to peanuts at such a young age through bamba

SingALong

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 10:00 am
I gave my 11 month old bamba and he broke out with a face rash for a day. It went away on its own. But I'm gonna wait awhile before trying peanut butter. Just my recent experience.

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 10:57 am
ChangedMyAvatar wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I didn't know it was possible to be too young for bamba Ice cream

In a different thread we discussed that Israel has minimal peanut allergies cause kids are introduced to peanuts at such a young age through bamba

OK, listen, and listen well. This is a THEORY. It is NOT scientifically proven. It IS possible to be too young for Bamba, and frankly, it's scary to watch kids react to Bamba because "it's only Bamba". We have 3, yes 3, completely Israeli neighbours who have kids with peanut allergies, and that is not including my kid (or myself). Out of 8 families in the building.

(And, Changed my Avatar, I somehow manage to take my kids grocery shopping without providing ANY snacks, and I always have. So it's possible.)

Sanguine

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:34 am
Marion wrote:

(And, Changed my Avatar, I somehow manage to take my kids grocery shopping without providing ANY snacks, and I always have. So it's possible.)

isramom8 was the one who shops with bamba - my kids are big already but I used to buy a bag of marshmallows when I shopped (didn't eat the whole thing) - I wasn't Israeli enough then and never would have thought of bamba (personally, I hate bamba)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:35 am
Introducing stuff early (not too early! not talking of 3 months!) is good against allergies

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 12:24 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Introducing stuff early (not too early! not talking of 3 months!) is good against allergies

That's debatable. It's one school of thought. There are others.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics