Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
What is your menu?
Previous  1  2  3

shoy18

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 6:50 pm
BrachaC wrote:

Egg roll or vegetable blintzes make a nice appetizer

how do you make egg rolls??

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 6:59 pm
would making an omelet work and then adding some beef or vegetable filling and folding like an egg roll and fry it? I have no clue how that would turn out...

MOM222

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:04 pm

Last edited by MOM222 on Sun, Jan 20 2008, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

cindy324

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 11:44 am
here you go cl:

Crumbly Apple kugel

2 1/2 cups potato starch
1 egg
3 yolks
1 1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cup sugar
6 Granny Smith aplles peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Oven on 325
Mix together starch, eggs, yolks , oil, and sugar until crumbly

In another bowl mix apples , 1 cup sugar, and lemon juice. drain a little of the liquid from the apple mixture.

Place half of crumb mixture in bottom of 9x13 pan, spread apple mixture on top, place remaining crum mixture on top of apples. Bake for 2 hours.

If crumb mixture is sticky add potato starch

Stove top apple kugel

7 eggs
7 apples peeled cored and sliced
7 tbsp sugar
7tbsp potato starch

Mix all ingredients. Pour into 10" hot greased frying pan. When sides appear brown, turn over to fry on other side. This kugel can be served cold.

Apple kugel

10-12 apples eeled and thinly sliced
12 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 cup potato starch
1/4 cup orange juice
juice of half lemon

Preheat oven to 350
Spread apples into a lined 10x16 pan.

Beat egg whites on high speed, gradually adding sugar until stiff. Slowly add rest of ingredients and mix gently until combined. Pour batter over the apples. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

bashinda

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 11:47 am
I'd like to make the egg roll without the potato starch. think it could work?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 12:51 pm
BasHInda, a lot of stuff doesn't work without the potato starch or matza meal, in my expericne. you're better off sticking to foods w/o those ingredinets you aren't using.

bashinda

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 1:13 pm
not necessarily though. I make egg lukshen and I use the spice and spirit cookbook and leave out the potato starch...

shayna82

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 1:15 pm
bashinda wrote:
okay so when people are posting their menus is that for one meal or just all the possible dishes they're planning on preparing for Pesach? I've been assuming the later. I'm still having trouble figuring out what to do for meat at the seder. Any ideas?

im having roast for some meals, and meat loaf. I was thining about making a meat tzimis with beef stew cubes, but scratched that off my lis...

u can make sheaperds pie

bashinda

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 1:28 pm
ah that works. shephard's pie, maybe some sort of chicken, meat tsimmis sounds good actually. I even have a recipe I like. Thanks, Shayna!

shayna82

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 1:30 pm
hey no problem!!!!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 5:45 pm
I'm not sure exactly what I'm making this year - this is from last year.....

Mains/Meat
brisket-frozen in packets, one for beg and one for end days
chicken - plain - fresh
cholent for Shabbos - chicken and potatoes, zucchini and carrot prob
meatloaf - plain and two-tone - frozen in packets, one for beg and one for end days
we make chinese night during chol usually - wings and a stir fry with cabbage and fresh ginger

Fish:
fish - striped layers of gef and salmon - frozen raw and baked as needed
swet and sour salmon - fresh, made at the beg. of yomtov
gef fish w/tomato sauce

Soup
Chicken - same soup we make all year - frozen in packets, one for beg and one for end days
maybe onion soup and or zuchini soup, same recipes as during the year
Never got the hang of making soup nmuts or chicken dumplings, so our soup is plain . . . . .

Sides
sweet potato pie-also frozen in several tins for 1st and end days
tsimmes- frozen in packets, one for beg and one for end days - sweet potatoes, carrots, and maybe butternut squash, oh and fresh ginger
apple beet salad - made fresh for end days, b/c of the apples
fresh cabbage orange salad
fresh crunch of almond salad
tomato salad - fresh
ratatoulle - made fresh on yomtov with eggplant, zucchini, peppers if I'm peeling them and tomatoes
fresh salad with mango, lettuce, and nuts
plain boiled potatoes to cut up and add to chicken pan for a good taste

My potato kugel was not that big a hit last year so I prob won't repeat it....

I can make good pickled salads but only I like them - health salad, 24 hour salad, carrrot slaw, cuke salad - PM me if you want any recipes

The 3-colored kugel from Cindy and Mom222 kind of intrigues me!

Desserts
apple pear sauce for dh made before and frozen in 2 or three Tupperwares, maybe one Tupperware with sliced oranges, wine & ginger
fruit salad - made and eaten fresh - melons, pineapples
if I make ice cream, it'll be strawberry ice and pineapple slushy
I bake cake mixes but mostly for breakfast and snacks - the brownies/chocolate cake turn out the best, have also done coffee cake

Drinks:
lemonade, orange juice

avocado dip for the gebrokts, made fresh on last day

Piper

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 7:15 pm
Anyone have any sephardic recipes?

We don't really have a community to fall back on for food traditions. I love middle eastern food, as does my daughter. Both my DH grew up conservative ashkenazic, me- nothing. But I do have a portion of family who keep sephardic. Yeah, it's crazy. Shaking

cl

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 5:08 pm
thanx 4 apple-kugel recipe:)
I will be trying it out later this week IYH.

cl

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 5:48 pm
Piper wrote:
Anyone have any sephardic recipes?

there is one fish dish my MIL is going to make us 4 pesach an we make it during the year. I have not checked yet which - if any - of the ingredients need to be substitued for pesach, I think it depend on ur minhag.
For eg, the recipe calls for green peppers but we dotn eat anything with the peel on so we will have 2 get the peel off b4 preparing. also I dont know if u can use garlic or herbs like coriander on pesach.

Fish: Anyway u fry garlic with slices of peppers and add strips of white fish and season with coriander and black pepper (and other spices u like) and add water so it makes a kind of sauce. simmer on low till cooked thru.

Meat Soup: Chunks of potato and some of carrot and onion in pot with chunks of meat. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and black pepper and boil till all is cooked thru. If u eat rice on pesach (which we dont) it tastes delicious when you pour the soup over the rice. Otherwise u can just eat it as a soup.

bashinda

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 9:03 pm
well I'm still doing a work in progress here. but so far I'm going to do

main meals:
meat tsimmus, shephard's pie, chicken (roasted, citrus, almond schnitzel using egg and grown almonds or maybe I'll try a filberts this year), roast, hamburgers

sides:
potato kugel, potato latkes, sweet potato latkes, roasted root vegis, need to think of more stuff here

salads:
carrot salad, cucumber salad, nobody eats beets so I'm at a loss what other salad Icould prepare that might have a chance at getting eaten so I think that will be eat. Oh, egg salad!

desserts: I'm going to try to sorbets and slushes this year and maybe if I'm adventurous there's a chocolate torte in the spice and spirit I might try if I have time before Pesach and I get a hand mixer

breakfasts: eggs and potatos

Oh and lots and lots of grapefruit juice and orange juice. Yum!

shoy18

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 12:09 am
How do you make shepards pie?

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 12:31 am
here is the recipe I use for shepherds pie:

2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 med. onions
1 c. chopped mushrooms
1 tsp. vegetable oil
4 carrots, chopped in 1/2" pieces
1 beef boullion cube
1 c. frozen peas
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 can water
6 lg. potatoes
Butter, salt, pepper, mixed herbs to
taste

Fry beef, drain off fat. Saute onions and mushrooms in oil; add to beef. Boil carrots for 10 minutes until they begin to soften. Drain water and add to beef mixture along with soup, water and beef cube. Add peas. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and mixed herbs (bay leaf, thyme, rosemary). Transfer to Pyrex deep oven dish. Peel, boil and mash potatoes until creamy. Place on top of mixture. Place dish in oven and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until mixture is hot and potatoes begin to brown. Serves 6.

you can add or remove vegetables to suit your taste and pesach requirements.

bashinda

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 12:55 am
Mine is very basic. I used to fry the beef but it was always watery. I had someone else's and it was much better and her trick is not to pre-cook the beef at all. So I chop up a spanish onion and add 1/2 it to the beef. (2 lbs. chopped meat) and approx. 1/4 tsp. salt. I figure kosher meat has enough salt.

I mash some potatoes and add the other 1/2 of the onions and salt.

I put the beef in the pan (I made a smaller pan but you can use a 9x13 pan) and pat it down and put the mashed potatoes on top. You can add a layer of carrots or a layer of boiled eggs ( that's what the spice and spirit recommended) I baked it at 350 uncovered for an hour or so. It worked nicely but next time I'm not going to use my food processor to mash the potatoes! (My potato masher didn't come yet and I was stuck)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics