Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
SAHM - FTM - other?

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 1:30 pm
I'm not thrilled with the designation of SAHM (stay at home mother). All it says is that she stays at home. Is she in bed all day? watching TV? does she work from home?

How about FTM - fulltime mother to describe women who are just that, fulltime mothers!

But then some might say - aren't they wives too? and neighbors, sisters, friends ... I still think FTM sums it up much better than SAHM.

What do you think?

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 1:34 pm
I dont like catergories. if you stay at home, you stay at home. if you work, you work. I dont think what you spend your time with during the day detracts an iota from being a mom. even if you are at work, your still a full time mom.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 2:14 pm
I'm with shayna.

dr pepper

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 2:19 pm
I think with that designation you might offend a lot of working mothers. A mother is a mother regardless of their situation, every second of the day. IMO all moms are full time moms.

su7kids

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 2:22 pm
I think one can be a full time mother while working.

A SAHM is as opposed to a working mom. Maybe she should be called a SWKM (stay with kids mom).

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 3:50 pm
What's the saying - Every mother is a working mother.

su7kids

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 3:53 pm
For sure, every mom works, and moms who stay at home with their kids sometimes put in more work and effort than those who work in an office/out of the house/leave their kids with babysitters, etc.

One is not better than the other. The question is what works for YOU!

I meant that a mom who works for a salary outside the home.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 4:06 pm
I lost patience for the Mommy Wars long ago.

BlumaG

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 4:14 pm
I run a playgroup not at home but I have my kids with me so SAHM doesnt fit but I guess FTM does

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 5:45 pm
I love home maker. It reminds me of ‘chachmas noshim bansa baysa”

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 5:53 pm
su7kids wrote:

The magazines do say that ... what about what works for the KID(S)?

As for being a fulltime mother while working - you've said your opinion. Now I'll say mine. I think that statement reflects the Olam ha'Sheker (World of Lies) we live in. I think it denigrates those mothers who actually devote their days to their children, in person, being physically there with them (hope that was specific enough).

To say that a mother who drops off her child at 8 a.m. and picks her up at 6, is a fulltime mother like the child who is with her mother all day, sounds like Orwell's Newspeak to me! It's hard to believe that you actually wrote that. Sad too Sad

redhot

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 6:10 pm
I do not like the title Full time mother when used to just label women who do not leave the home, and take care of their kids alone. I am not sure what category I fall in because I am home when my kids are home and I work when they are in school, but I think that EVERY SINGLE GOOD mother, be it a working mom, or a mom who doesnt work outside the home, is FULL TIME MOTHER. There is never a moment in any day that a mother is not a mother. it is full time,every minute, every hour of every day.

redhot

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 6:12 pm
ps- why do we need titles?? Why cant it just be 'MOTHER' (and if u work, and feel the need to add that on, say -"and I am a ___")

su7kids

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 6:30 pm
Motek wrote:
su7kids wrote:

The magazines do say that ... what about what works for the KID(S)?

As for being a fulltime mother while working - you've said your opinion. Now I'll say mine. I think that statement reflects the Olam ha'Sheker (World of Lies) we live in. I think it denigrates those mothers who actually devote their days to their children, in person, being physically there with them (hope that was specific enough).

To say that a mother who drops off her child at 8 a.m. and picks her up at 6, is a fulltime mother like the child who is with her mother all day, sounds like Orwell's Newspeak to me! It's hard to believe that you actually wrote that. Sad too Sad

I didn't say I agree with these sentiments, I said this is what is "out there".

I personally was a SAHM and proud of it, until my kids left home, and even now, am available for any of them 24/7 (yes, they're still allowed home on Shabbos!)

I have always made MY choices by what works for me (meaning, my family, as they are an extension of me, until they form their own family).

Maybe I don't make myself that clear when I'm typing in a hurry from the office! Sorry.

happymom

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 7:01 pm
yes a mother is always a mother. but its just a fact that if you are with your kids full time your being with them full time and if u arent u arent. some people must work. but if a mother can be with her children full time, while being a GOOD mommy (most of the time Wink ) what could be better?

redhot

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 7:06 pm
I agree happymom- but labeling a sahm as "full time mother" excludes the women who go out to work, and is insulting -in my opinion. It takes away from the fact that all mothers are mothers all of the time.

there has got to be a better 'title' than sahm or full time mother. anybody?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics