Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is Shutdown affecting any govt. programs?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 11:44 am
I have an appt. to recertify my food stamps case. I tried calling the office where I am supposed to go to verify if they are open or if there are any changes, but nobody is answering the phone and the voicemailbox is full (as usual). Does anyone have any information about this? I don't want to shlep for nothing as I need to arrange child care...
I am in Brooklyn.

smss

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 11:44 am
I heard WIC is/will be closing down. not sure about food stamps.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 12:10 pm
I heard WIC is shutting down too, and I also heard that IRS refunds are stopping so if you're on programs you're probably also on EIC and getting large tax refunds--- so be aware.

I don't THINK food stamps are stopping and I know for sure that social security isn't stopping.

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 11:01 pm
And you still have to pay your taxes.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Oct 11 2013, 12:04 am
IRS refunds are after April, no? I hope the govt wont be shutdown til april!...

Honesty

Post Fri, Oct 11 2013, 12:08 am
Lots of people file for a 6 month extension and actually file their taxes now in October.

Honesty

Post Fri, Oct 11 2013, 12:10 am
Lots of people file for a 6 month extension and actually file their taxes now in October.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Oct 11 2013, 12:13 am
People who get refunds make sure to file as soon as they can, as early as February... they need their refund Very Happy

amother

Post Fri, Oct 11 2013, 12:18 am
Mama Bear wrote:
People who get refunds make sure to file as soon as they can, as early as February... they need their refund Very Happy

People who need the money should not overpay their taxes in the first place. I never understand the excitement of a refund check for money that is already yours and should have been drawing interest in your account rather than in the government's.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 11 2013, 12:19 am
Mama Bear wrote:

We filed late (with an extension) and Baruch Hashem received our much needed refund a couple of weeks ago. The money is going into savings, and will hopefully not disappear in electric bills and tuition.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 11 2013, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

People who need the money should not overpay their taxes in the first place. I never understand the excitement of a refund check for money that is already yours and should have been drawing interest in your account rather than in the government's.

I'm the amother below you. Our refund is not actually a refund, it's almost all credits. We don't pay much taxes at all.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 11 2013, 12:30 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

I'm the amother below you. Our refund is not actually a refund, it's almost all credits. We don't pay much taxes at all.

Yes, that is different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics