Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What do you think of the name Kinneret
Previous  1  2  3  Next

joy613

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
I think of the singer

That is the first thing that comes to my mind too.

Also, I think of the lake. Which makes me think of the Galil. Which I love. So I love hearing that name.

And sanguine, that is such a beautiful song. Never heard it before but it's in my head now.

ROFL

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 10:53 pm
Love the name, love the song ,there are also many other songs with your future little girls name in it!

Butterfly

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 12:03 am
The name Kineret reminds me of a popular singer who has starred in many concerts is Israel and in the U.S.

Not only is she an amazing star in singing, she also stars in middos tovos as well. Perhaps that is why I adore this name so much.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 2:36 am
My immediate association is the lake.
Which isn't such a bad thing.
Go for it.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 2:43 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
agreer wrote:

I personally don't like it, but I'm not so into modern-Israeli names. I do prefer the classic.

Is it for a boy or girl?

Ummm, Kinneret is not considered a modern name by a long shot. It definitely falls into classic/vintage Israeli names. People have been giving girls that name for at least 40-50 years.

It's a girls' name, for the poster who asked.

I love the sound of it, but it is considered old-fashioned in Israel. However, it still feels fresh to me, it's not one of those 'granny' old fashioned names.

It's vintage, which is very much on trend in Israel (Actually two of my daughters have vintagish names).

LisaS

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 3:16 am
I think it's a beautiful name, but also uncommon, so you'd have to me ok with naming your kid an uncommon name.

Our cousin used the name for her baby that was born last year during the raniest week of the whole winter when the Kinneret filled up.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 4:01 am
I'm torn over this.
As an Israeli I love it . It's an elegant, feminine, slightly nostalgic name that evokes ארץ ישראל הישנה והטובה.
The association from my American childhood however is Kinneret Challah.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 7:04 am
I say no. It is a name of a lake and I don't like names tha are called after objects. It is a made name for the lake by secular Israelies. In secular israel it is considered old fashion. It is a name of frozen food company. To me it is a name hat tries to make a Zionist statement frum israelies would never use this name. I am Israeli. This name is too heavy and old. Not frum.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
I think it is unusual but beautiful. It has a kind of elegance and peacefulness to it. Re the meaning, I think the meaning is "lake". Lake Kinneret.

No, or the lake would be named lake.
It's linked to violine (kinor) due to its shape

Isramom8

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 7:36 am
The ones I knew are over 40 now. (One is the singer.) My daughter knows one around 30 and one around 20.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 7:41 am
Ruchel wrote:
amother wrote:
I think it is unusual but beautiful. It has a kind of elegance and peacefulness to it. Re the meaning, I think the meaning is "lake". Lake Kinneret.

No, or the lake would be named lake.
It's linked to violine (kinor) due to its shape

LOL.
The generic word for lake is actually agam, which is a pretty popular name now in Israel, mostly among secular people.
Amother who said Kinneret is not a frum name - it may not be a haredi name but dati leumi/hardal people have used it and still use it now and then.
The first Kinneret I ever met was Rav Moshe Levinger's (think Gush Emunim and Hevron) daughter.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 7:50 am
I read an article from a charedi French rav saying a "frum name" is a name with mesora, or with a positive connotation that Jews use, in any Jewish language (Hebrew Aramaic Yiddish Judeo-whatever).

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 9:28 am
Just to put my two cents in . . .

I love it!!!

Such a pretty name!!

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 9:44 am
amother wrote:
It is a made name for the lake by secular Israelies.

The name of the lake appears twice in Tanach

במדבר לד יא
וְיָרַד הַגְּבֻל מִשְּׁפָם הָרִבְלָה מִקֶּדֶם לָעָיִן וְיָרַד הַגְּבֻל וּמָחָה עַל כֶּתֶף יָם כִּנֶּרֶת קֵדְמָה

יהושוע יג כז
וּבָעֵמֶק בֵּית הָרָם וּבֵית נִמְרָה וְסֻכּוֹת וְצָפוֹן יֶתֶר מַמְלְכוּת סִיחוֹן מֶלֶךְ חֶשְׁבּוֹן הַיַּרְדֵּן וּגְבֻל עַד קְצֵה יָם כִּנֶּרֶת עֵבֶר הַיַּרְדֵּן מִזְרָחָה

Last edited by imasoftov on Wed, Oct 16 2013, 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 9:50 am
Quote:
It is a name of a lake and I don't like names tha are called after objects.

Israel? Sinai (the maharal of prag's brother)? those are place names, too.
As for objects... Jews use names of pleasant "objects" like the sun, the moon, gold, silver, or animal names, since forever.

Quote:
To me it is a name hat tries to make a Zionist statement

I'm really not dati leumi, but I don't find any Zionist statement in this name.

marshmellow

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
I say no. It is a name of a lake and I don't like names tha are called after objects. It is a made name for the lake by secular Israelies. In secular israel it is considered old fashion. It is a name of frozen food company. To me it is a name hat tries to make a Zionist statement frum israelies would never use this name. I am Israeli. This name is too heavy and old. Not frum.

Many names are objects. A flower or precious stone is an object and many names mean these. I would think a lake is less of an object than these things. A lake is natural beauty. Also, it wouldn't bother me at all whether a name is Israeli, secular, old fashioned etc, so long as I like the name, its energy, and it's not a name that a child would get teased for. As for the Zionist bit, I'm a Zionist so I like it.

But I understand that the name doesn't appeal to you. It's a name that you either like or don't like - however in my experience, a person's character and personality can totally change your opinion of their name for better or worse! There is a lot of spiritual energy in a name. I personally happen to know a girl called Kinneret and she is just the loveliest girl who has always been completely selfless.

Last edited by marshmellow on Wed, Oct 16 2013, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Beyla

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 11:52 am
It's the name of a summer camp.
So it makes me think of vacations.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 18 2013, 11:54 am
It sounds very MO in my opinion.

I don't know any great woman from the torah with that name.

I know of the lake with that name. Is it ok to be named for a lake?

I think it's spelled with 1 "N".

amother

Post Fri, Oct 18 2013, 12:19 pm
I'd probably like it if I could just stop picturing frozen challah.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:49 am
BUMP...

I love the name Kinneret and am considering it for my baby -
What (modern Israeli) middle names go well with Kinneret?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names