Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, coconut milk??

oatmealcookies

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 2:13 pm
At what age can I give my baby almond milk, rice milk, soy milk or coconut milk? Not as a substitute for breast milk but as a replacement to juice. He takes a juice bottle (diluted with water of course) but I am getting nervous that he is drinking too much juice and its not good for him or his teeth. I would call the pediatrician but hes pretty flexible so I want to know if other people have tried giving almond milk, rice milk, soy milk or coconut milk to their babies under 12 month?

SplitPea

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 2:18 pm
My opinion might not be what you are looking for.

I don't give my babies ANY liquid other than breast milk under 9 months and only rarely at that under a year.

If yu must give something other than breast milk or formula give WATER. Not rice milk, not soy (honestly never give soy!) not coconut, almond, hemp, or anything of the like just give WATER. Babies especially under a year don't need anything more.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 2:21 pm
SplitPea wrote:
My opinion might not be what you are looking for.

I don't give my babies ANY liquid other than breast milk under 9 months and only rarely at that under a year.

If yu must give something other than breast milk or formula give WATER. Not rice milk, not soy (honestly never give soy!) not coconut, almond, hemp, or anything of the like just give WATER. Babies especially under a year don't need anything more.

Totally agreed. Soy is VERY bad for children, it's full of phytoestrogens that can mess with their development. Pretty much all of the "milk"s on the market have added sugars, too.

smss

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 2:22 pm
there's really no need to give him other milks at all if he's still nursing. none of those milks are perfect for babies for various reasons - you should definitely avoid rice and soy milk though. almond and coconut are better choices, if you had to use them, but if he's still nursing, better he should get as much of that as possible and not quench his thirst w/ substitutes. a sippy cup or 2 of water a day should be ok.

Sparkle

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 3:23 pm
I concur with the other posters: Your baby needs no other milk than yours. If you have to supplement for some reason I'd recommend goat's milk if you have any access to it. But breast is definitely best :-)

Note: Soy milk is bad. I stay far away from anything with soy for everyone in my family, unless it's organic and fermented.

chani8

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 3:28 pm
You could try formula. Otherwise, any of those except almond milk (unless you're sure there are no nut allergies) are fine, to me. I think coconut, rice, and soy are all acceptable for babies, especially after age 6 months. Those all sound better than just juice which is mostly sugar, no fat at all.

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 3:55 pm
I wouldn't give soy to a perfectly healthy baby who is breastfeeding, but you know there are soy formulas for children who can't tolerate cow's milk...my son's dietician recommended it for my allergic son. He can't have almond either since he is allergic to nuts, and rice milk has no protein value as well as not being recommended for children under age 5 due to arsenic levels found in it...

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 3:57 pm
Just give water.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 7:02 pm
I gave my babies almond milk and hemp milk after 1yo, like you, as a substitute for juice. The milks I'd buy are 'original unsweetened.'

I also give goats milk.

And calcium and vitamin D supplements. I do avoid soy.

Enjoy the wide variety of beverages for our little ones.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics