Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Kosher for Passover Gasoline :)

Motek

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 3:09 pm
Kosher for Passover Gasoline - no joking!

Kosher for Passover Gasoline
By Danielle Wolfbergand and Henry Lorman Bergen County Jewish Times Teaneck,
New Jersey March 1,2007

Yaniv Ban-Zaken, a local gas station owner, will be selling Kosher for Passover gasoline during the holiday this year. The move, Ben- Zaken says, has become necessary due to the increased ethanol content in gasoline required by the government. The ethanol is typically derived from corn, which is a forbidden food for Jews on Passover. And, according to Ben-Zaken, underJewish law, it is also forbidden to derive any benefit from corn.

"We will be providing a number of services to anyone interested in making their motor vehicle Kosher for Passover," Ben-Zaken says. Services will include siphoning off the non-Kosher gasoline and replacing it with the Kosher gasoline. The entire process will be supervised by Rabbi Yitzchok Mendelbaum. A special exemption to the EPA rule regarding the plant ethanol content of gasoline had to be obtained from the government to allow for the use of this gasoline.

The move has created some controversy among local community leaders. Rabbi Shalom Silver, of Congregation Ohel Emeth in Teaneck, has recommended to his congregants that they not buy the gasoline.

"Although Jews of Ashkenazi descent are not permitted to eat corn on Pesach, they are permitted to derive benefit from corn byproducts, such as gasoline with ethanol additives," he said.

However, Rabbi Mordechai Silver (no relation to Shalom Silver), of Yeshivas Torah Ohr in nearby Englewood, disagrees, and maintains that while it might technically be acceptable to use mass-produced gasoline, those who can afford to purchase the new alternative should. "In Jewish law, we have a principle of lifnim mshuras hadin-- going above and beyond the basic requirements of the law," he explained in an email. "Thank G-d, many people in the area can afford to do so in this case."

Some local Jewish leaders have also complained about the high price of the ethanol-free gas, which Ben-Zaken estimates will be $9.69 per gallon, but Ben-Zaken insists that it is necessary. "The Kosher gas is made in small quantities and not mass produced, so the costs are high."

In fact, Ben-Zaken, an immigrant from Israel who is not himself religious, claims that he will not be making any profit on the sale of the Kosher gas. "I'm doing this more as a community service. My hope is that people will be more likely to patronize my station the rest of the year."

Julio Sanchez, one of Ben-Zakens employees, also expressed some concern over the high price, explaining that it might drive away customers and reduce his income from tips. Co-worker Naveen Samhari disagreed, because, as he says, "Orthodox Jews are among the best tippers in the area."

Ben-Zaken also says he will be contracting with a local car rental agency to provide customers with a Kosher for Passover car if they would prefer not to use their own. This will also save the time of having to clean chametz from the car before Pesach--time that many local two-income families do not have.

"Jews use different dishes for Passover. They ought to be able to use a different car, as well." Ben-Zaken says.

Danielle Wolfberg is a freelance writer and reporter. Henry Lorman has published several novels and is currently working on a memoir, to be published by Random House.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 3:21 pm
Is anybody drinking the gasoline - L'Chaim Drunken Smile ... very interesting "rip off"

brooklyn

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 4:16 pm
I heard that in some religious neighborhoods they are putting a special plastic sheeting over the sidewalks so that no onecwould accidently step on some crumbs that may be there and would therefore come into contact with the soles of their shoes and might end up in their homes when they walk in.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

(Just kidding for those of you who might believe it)

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 4:19 pm
really brooklyn - how could you get us so excited like that ... just to be kidding!!!!

su7kids

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 4:40 pm
I thnk maybe we should all live in a bubble for those 8 days.

Some things really go too far, in my opinion.

withhumor

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 5:25 pm
So if I live in a bubble then I don’t have to clean anything on the outside? Can my children have separate bubbles, that would be fabulous. I might put a moon walk on the bottom of theirs, and a jolly jumper hanging from the top of another… the list goes on.

Now this aint funny, I know a family that puts silver foil on their walls, so that you don’t have to ‘touch’ the walls that were touched with chometz fingers all year round.

su7kids

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 5:43 pm
withhumor wrote:

Now this aint funny, I know a family that puts silver foil on their walls, so that you don’t have to ‘touch’ the walls that were touched with chometz fingers all year round.

Maybe they should get some 409 and CLEAN the walls! LOL

I think I'm totally GETTING why people don't eat out on Pesach!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics