Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Multitasking and men

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 7:15 am
Is it possible LOL ?

When I took my ds9 to school today he sneezed. I told him to cover his mouth. His answer, I can't, I'm walking Confused Rolling Eyes Scratching Head What . I noticed that when I'm walking with my dh and he gets a phone call, he slows down or even stops to talk. Come on, we have the light!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 7:27 am
I think they can.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 7:42 am
I would love to know if any neuroscientists ever measured multitasking abilities in men vs women.

I notice that I can handle far more tasks before my brain hits "overload" as compared to my DH. I can parallel process whereas he is definitely a serial processor.

sped

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:03 am
Totally agree. When dh boils water, he needs to stand and watch until it boils. If I ask him to do something - even simple - his reaction is - in a few minutes. It is something I am still having a hard time dealing with.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:43 am
It depends on the man.

My MIL still marvels over how DH did his homework as a teen. He would have the TV on, work on a jigsaw puzzle, and do his HW all at the same time. It's his process.

He still does that. When he's working on his computer, he will be listening to a shiur and playing some action game at the same time.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:44 am
Rutabaga wrote:
When he's working on his computer, he will be listening to a shiur and playing some action game at the same time.

OMG!!! lol mine is the same

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 9:11 am
that's one funny kid ...

but I do believe women are more astute in this arena ...

in case anybody cares - as I age I'm finding it harder to keep up with 5 things like I once did

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 10:36 am
I was going to start a thread about this and then saw I already did Smile .

Since it was getting late to leave for school I told my ds8 to wash his hands while finishing what was in his mouth. He said he couldn't because he is not able to wash his hands and swallow or chew at the same time.

I'm surprised my kids can breathe and walk at the same time Rolling Eyes .

How they're able to listen to music while studying is beyond me, though!!

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 10:42 am
Sometimes I feel like I can't multitask. If too much is going on, I lose my focus.... About the only thing I can do is have music (that I have heard a million times so I'm not thinking about the words) on in the background. But even that I have to pause occasionally.... But it does help me to put on my headphones and put a song or album on repeat in order to block the everything out so I can focus on one thing... Mostly at work.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:03 am
I'm a little bit like that. I can't do anything when I talk on the phone, I can't even walk. I stand or sit in one place.
I think it's more of a nature than a man/women thing.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:10 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I'm a little bit like that. I can't do anything when I talk on the phone, I can't even walk. I stand or sit in one place.

I think it’s more of a man/woman thing. But there are always exceptions. I’m one of them. I’m not great at multi tasking. I still think I’m better at it than my husband. But I think that’s because of a social construct. Women are expected to hold the baby and cook dinner and throw in another load, so they do.

cm

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:11 am
Most people are not as good at multitasking as they think they are. (There's research on this, but I don't have time to look it up now).

tigerwife

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:15 am
Blessing1 wrote:

That’s so funny! I am the opposite- I don’t talk on the phone much but when I do, at least some housework will get done! Unfortunately my sparse phone habits reflect on the amount of work I actually get done 🙄

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:24 am
I read a theory based on evolutionary biology.

Cave men had a dangerous job, and they had to pay close attention. Go out. Kill mastodon. Drag mastodon home. Wait for praise from wife.

Cave women had a million small jobs. Tend the fire, watch the babies, gather nuts and berries, sew the hides, cook the food, etc.

Of course there are exceptions everywhere, but this was the general idea of how societies worked back then.

Then you throw ADD into the mix, and it all goes to heck! LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics