Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sleepaway Camp for 10 year old girl

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 10:28 pm
I am looking into camps for this summer for my daughter who will be going into fifth grade. All my impressions and knowledge of camps is from when I was there 15 years ago, so I'm interested in hearing what camps are around and what kind of crowds go there.
Here's what I do know:
I know that Bnos has the Bnoseinu program for 5th grade and I've heard that it has more of a mixed crowd than the rest of the camp. I've heard nice things about Chaviva, but they don't start until 6th grade. I'm leaning towards Camp Shira, but am curious what the crowd is like there these days.

Any other camps to consider? Looking for a camp that has a yeshivish mix (doesn't need to be all Lakewood/kollel, but should also not be fancy, brand-name centered).

amother

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 8:03 pm
bump

Emotional

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 9:36 pm
Just curious, as a mother of a ten-year-old (almost 11) - is a ten year old ready for camp? I couldn't imagine sending my daughter at this age'

STovah

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 9:45 pm
I went to camp when I was 7... I definitely would not send that young, but I think that an independent 10 year old girl can enjoy a month away.

marina

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 9:46 pm
It depends on your kid, but I think generally a 10 year old is just the right age for sleepaway camp.

I'm also interested in hearing about various camps.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 10:48 pm
I have 1 DD that goes to Bnos (started in Bnosienu) and 1 to Chaviva. I'm happy with both- they went where friends were going.
Bnoseinu is small and tailored to the girls coming out of 4th and 5th. Very few OOT and lots of staff kids from Bnos, Agudah etc. mostly Lakewood, monsey, and Brooklyn some Passaic and 5 towns.
Chaviva starts after 5th. All ages are together so it's bigger than Bnoseinu and smaller than Bnos. Very warm caring admin that really know each girl. Lots of Queens and 5 towns. Some Brooklyn, Passaic... Some OOT as well- more as the girls get older.
Both camps are not known for showiness (compared to other camps) but there are brand names in both.
You aren't going to find many kollel kids in either camp unless they are staff kids. For most the 2K plus (for one month) is just too much.
It depends on the kid, but my DD was very ready at 10.
I'd love to hear how Camp Shira compares. My next DD may want to go there!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:
I have 1 DD that goes to Bnos (started in Bnosienu) and 1 to Chaviva. I'm happy with both- they went where friends were going.
Bnoseinu is small and tailored to the girls coming out of 4th and 5th. Very few OOT and lots of staff kids from Bnos, Agudah etc. mostly Lakewood, monsey, and Brooklyn some Passaic and 5 towns.
Chaviva starts after 5th. All ages are together so it's bigger than Bnoseinu and smaller than Bnos. Very warm caring admin that really know each girl. Lots of Queens and 5 towns. Some Brooklyn, Passaic... Some OOT as well- more as the girls get older.
Both camps are not known for showiness (compared to other camps) but there are brand names in both.
You aren't going to find many kollel kids in either camp unless they are staff kids. For most the 2K plus (for one month) is just too much.
It depends on the kid, but my DD was very ready at 10.
I'd love to hear how Camp Shira compares. My next DD may want to go there!

OP here
Thanks for your response. I heard nice things about Chaviva, but I want to send her to camp going into 5th grade, so that won't work for this year. I was initially going to pursue Bnoseinu, but I heard mixed info about the crowd (that's part of why I'm posting here, to maybe get some more input), and I figured if I'm not fully sure about the crowd there, I may as well send to Camp Shira which is where I went for many years and have fond memories of. I guess the expense of camp does wind up skewing the crowds in all camps richer. Are there any other camps to look into?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 11:07 pm
OP here again... My daughter will be of the first in her class to go to camp since most of the girls go to the country, so I can't really pick a camp based on where her friends will go. I know that many girls in her school ultimately wind up in Shira.

Anyone send to Ohr Chedva last year or hear anything about how the summer went there?

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 30 2013, 11:40 pm
amother wrote:
OP here again... My daughter will be of the first in her class to go to camp since most of the girls go to the country, so I can't really pick a camp based on where her friends will go. I know that many girls in her school ultimately wind up in Shira.

Anyone send to Ohr Chedva last year or hear anything about how the summer went there?

My just-turned-11 year old DD went last summer and had a wonderful time. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 12:04 am
I've heard great things about this camp:

http://www.kolneshama.org/about/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children