Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Not hot dishes
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:38 am
Thank you to whomever responded to this thread, but the pans here are very lousy and not big enough. I sadly can't do any dishes that should be served hot. I could do lukewarm though. I could bring my toaster oven which could fit 2 9x13 next to each other and more if piled. I'm making a smorgasbord style, so it will be sitting on the table for awhile. There are probably going to be around 50 or so people, majority adults. It's for a lunch and I want milichig/pareve. Any ideas what to serve. For salads, I thought of israeli salad and a chickpea salad. I don't want to make any lettuce salad and I need stuff that could sit. Any ideas please?

As a side note, I think they would like americany things Smile . Thanks a ton!!!!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 3:57 pm
poached salmon, fish goujons, quiche

You can perfectly serve them at room temp/lukewarm.

lkwdmommy

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 4:02 pm
Blintz pie can be eaten at room temp. Mini quiches? Cheese patties? How about soups (or is it summertime there now?)

Pasta salad can sit for a while.

And don't forget the cheesecake and iced coffee for dessert!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 4:03 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
poached salmon, fish goujons, quiche

You can perfectly serve them at room temp/lukewarm.

Can a crustless quiche be served at room temperature? I'm not sure what fish goujons are, but I googled it and it basically looks like breaded fish. Is that okay to serve at room temperature? Salmon is too expensive. Anything else?

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 4:07 pm
lkwdmommy wrote:
Blintz pie can be eaten at room temp. Mini quiches? Cheese patties? How about soups (or is it summertime there now?)

Pasta salad can sit for a while.

And don't forget the cheesecake and iced coffee for dessert!

If I can get ricotta cheese when I plan on making it, blintze pie is a good idea. What kind of cheese patties? Soup can be served smorgasbord style? Any good ideas for a cold soup besides fruit soup? Yeah. pasta salad is a good idea. I was planning on making mac and cheese and lasagna, but now that I can't, thanks for the pasta salad idea. I'm not making cheesecake and it's much too expensive to buy. Maybe I'll get ice-cream.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 4:07 pm
yup, you can def serve crustless quiche (more like frittatta) at room temp.
fish goujon is technically fried fish (not the huge whole piece but in smaller sizes) more like fish fingers.
you can also do moroccan fish at room temp, most white flesh fish should work.
Ditto for escaveche if you can get good quality mackerel fillets or small whitebaits (white fish is fine too).

CatLady

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 4:18 pm
If you want something American, how about a 7-layer dip served with tortilla chips or spinach dip served in a pumpernickel bread bowl. This always flies off the table at any function I've ever been to!

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 4:43 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Any good ideas for a cold soup besides fruit soup?

Gazpacho
Vichyssoise
Fresh pea soup

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 6:20 pm
CatLady wrote:
If you want something American, how about a 7-layer dip served with tortilla chips or spinach dip served in a pumpernickel bread bowl. This always flies off the table at any function I've ever been to!

All those sound great, but I can't get most of the ingredients Sad , not even sour cream and I love sour cream. It's better for my diet anyway Wink .

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 6:23 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

Gazpacho
Vichyssoise
Fresh pea soup

I once made gazpacho and it came out horrible. I don't know if it was the recipe or me not liking gazpacho. Vichyssoise looks good. Do you have a recipe for pea soup served cold? Now that that's said, would soup go well with a smorgasbord?

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 6:50 pm
Can pareve chili be served at room temperature?

yummydd

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:22 pm
CatLady wrote:

Seven layer dip sounds fancy... Mind posting the reci

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:25 pm
yummydd wrote:
CatLady wrote:

It's posted. Click where she wrote 7 layer dip.

OldYoung

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:39 pm
Greek Pasta Salad from KBD

1 lb. bowtie pasta, cooked all dente.
1/2 cup olive oil.
2 minced garlic cloves
6 T lemon juice
3T red wine vinegar
1 tspn oregano
1/2 tspn salt
1/8 tspn pepper
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 scallions, chopped
1 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
8oz Greek olives OR a 6oz can pitted black olives, drained
2 tomatos, cut into wedges (I use grape tomatoes, halved.)
2T capers (optional)
8oz feta cheese, crumbled

Mix the olive oil with garlic, lemon, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients to pasta and then toss with the dressing.

SJcookie

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:51 pm
Oh wow, 50 people! That's awesome, Yo'ma.
I personally think fettuchini alfredo, penne ala vodka, or basic pasta w/ marinara sauce would taste delicious lukewarm. You can make those dishes in a dairy pot - no need for an oven or flimsy aluminum pans.

Some other ideas:
Baked potato wedges with a creamy yogurt/heavy cream sauce
Nachos w/ salsa, cheese, avocado, & bean dip
Tacos/burritos
Bruschetta
Cold/warm pasta w/ feta cheese & zucchini
Pizza bagels
Cheese/potato/spinach/mushroom borekas or stuffed puffed pastry
Cheese/veggie kugel/muffins
Garlic bread w/ dips
Tofu/cheese veggie-noodle stirfry
Fried & breaded eggplant
Falafel
Tuna burgers
Fish balls in a tasty sauce served w/ mashed potatoes or rice
Fish shnitzel

Salads:
Corn salad (canned corn, pickles, red onion, and red pepper w/ a mayo based dressing)
Tri pepper salad (green, red, and yellow peppers w/ chopped red onion & dill is optional. Dressing is olive oil, lemon juice, salt, & pepper.)
Asian salad (shredded cabbage, craisins, some nuts & sesame seeds. Dressing is soy sauce, some vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper)
Greek salad w/o the lettuce (basically Israeli salad w/ black olives, red onion, & feta cheese)

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 8:04 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Rutabaga wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

Gazpacho
Vichyssoise
Fresh pea soup

I once made gazpacho and it came out horrible. I don't know if it was the recipe or me not liking gazpacho. Vichyssoise looks good. Do you have a recipe for pea soup served cold? Now that that's said, would soup go well with a smorgasbord?

Some pea soup recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

Obviously, you would need to use vegetable stock rather than chicken stock. And it would look pretty at a smorg if you put out individual servings in the double size shot glasses with a dot of creme freche or yogurt on top and a sprinkle of chives or other herb for garnish. (google images of shot glass soups for ideas)

INSPIREME

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 8:13 pm
Cheese and or potato blintzes can be served room temperature
potato knishes or bourekas

yummydd

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 8:22 pm
yo'ma wrote:
yummydd wrote:
CatLady wrote:

It's posted. Click where she wrote 7 layer dip.

Thanks, didn't notice.
Doesn't seem out taste though....

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 10:25 pm
How about cheese and crackers?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 9:25 am
SJcookie wrote:
Oh wow, 50 people! That's awesome, Yo'ma.

Thank you so much everybody. I have a lot to choose from. I really don't know how many people yet. It's for a surprise party for my dh and I have to get his phone from him to get the numbers and then I have to figure out who are his friends. He has tons of numbers on there because of work. It's not that much anyway. I just make one pan of food or double the recipe. If I make enough of a variety, there should be enough because like I said it's smorgasbord style.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals