Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Purity of speech

motheroftwo

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 10:39 pm
To what extent do we need to purify our speech?
I'm not talking about obvious vulgarity. I was at a shiur recently and the woman giving it was talking about tznius in our speech. She talked about a person she knows who would never say the word "pig". She would say chazir or 'p'. She wouldn't say "lice". Rather she would call them "lameds"
When talking to a child one should refine toilet talk. SHe thought it was nice how ppl. refered to it as "schmutzi and nassi" . Or saying lady's room instead of bathroom.
I just don't understand this. What's wrong with saying lice or pig. Why is it better to use the hebrew word for it. How does that make it cleaner???
Also why is schmutzi not a 'bad' word? what makes it better than using a generally used term for it? Why is my made-up word better than a word somebody else made up? I'm having a really hard time with this and I was quite perturbed by this shiur.
Any insight is much apreciated.

Tefila

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 10:46 pm
Omg we already have a thread on this somewhere but boy am I glad you are bringing this up. And yes purity in speech is something we learn in the Torah on how the Torah translates certain words etc

Motek

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 10:57 pm
here are two extensive threads on this subject:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....55ff1

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....55ff1

Quote:
She talked about a person she knows who would never say the word "pig". She would say chazir or 'p'.

What if she lived in Israel - would it be okay to call it chazir over there? Confused

she probably doesn't know that the euphemism for "pigs" is "davar acher"

Quote:
She wouldn't say "lice". Rather she would call them "lameds"

what else is on her list?

M for mice?
R for roaches?
how does she refer to the third plague -as "the third plague"?

Quote:
Or saying lady's room instead of bathroom

I thought "bathroom" was the euphemism.

Quote:
Why is my made-up word better than a word somebody else made up?

some made-up words that are used by many people, have acquired an "unrefined" connotation

but please, read the other two threads for more enlightenment Smile

stem

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 11:43 pm
motheroftwo wrote:
She wouldn't say "lice". Rather she would call them "lameds".

Wouldn't it be more correct to calling them "kafs" for "Kinim", or "Els" for "lice"?

LOL I actually got a good laugh from reading this. Thank you. LOL

gryp

Post Fri, May 20 2005, 9:32 am
I know people who say "chazir" instead of "pig." it just sounds less blatant and more refined. I also try not to use the word "pig," it doesnt make much sense, I know.
but not saying "lice" or "bathroom" I think is beyond extreme. they dont sound as bad as "pig" does.

deedee

Post Fri, May 20 2005, 11:55 am
in my younger years we were not frum but we always used nice language. then became frum moved to a diff area and went to jewish school. when I was 12 I was playing with siblings and used the word screw (which of course I heard in school). my mother marched me into the bathroom and washed my mouth with soap. suffice to say I never used "bad" language again!
what shocked me the most was when I was babysitting for a kollel family they (the children and parents) used the word piss (when refering to pish)!!!! I couldnt believe it here is supposed to be a very religious family and they are useing a "bad" word!
when ever I have the "urge" to use foul language to try to remind myself that this is the mouth that speaks words to our king of kings!

deedee

Post Fri, May 20 2005, 11:59 am
I had a science teacher in high school who was not jewish. when ever she had to go to the bathroom she would use the word lavatory!!!

Tefila

Post Fri, May 20 2005, 12:45 pm
Quote:
I had a science teacher in high school who was not jewish. when ever she had to go to the bathroom she would use the word lavatory!!!

Deedee Or in my case restroom Wink

deedee

Post Fri, May 20 2005, 1:05 pm
I had other teachers who were fond of-washroom!

deedee

Post Fri, May 20 2005, 1:07 pm
then I went to sem and all the english girls were saying I have to go to the loo! or I've got to spend a penny! it was a fun first few weeks to get used to what they were saying espically when we all got into the lift to go downsatirs and across the street to the garage (gas station!)!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics