Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Does anyone do canning?

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 2:04 am
Is it worth it to can foods?

It seems like there is an outlay initially, to buy jars & possibly a deep pot. & then you need time to process raw food, boil the jars etc.

Does anyone do canning? Do you do it to save money? & does it actually save money?

How hard is it to make sure things don't go bad? I think that is the one thing that really holds me off from even trying-- I worry that if I do it wrong I can end up with just a lot of spoiled food.

SRK

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 3:28 am
curious about it also in israel

mandksima

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 4:14 am
I have been wanting to do it but was told I should get the jars and covers from the States so I haven't done it yet. I have been successful freezing things though and since I have a big freezer, I just do that. Things like applesauce, tomato sauce and soups. Homemade pickles could stay in the fridge for months though so I just do that. Unless you can buy fruits/veggies for extremely good prices and have lots of time to prepare, I can't see it being worth it. What do you want to can?

smss

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 5:00 am
I'm also interested in this. I would want to make all-fruit no-sugar jam, and tons & tons & tons of homemade pickles so I'd never run out and just go to the store for them....

maybe one day Smile

SRK

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 5:18 am
Pickles, or anything. How do I do homemade?

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 9:01 am
We garden. This summer we had an over run of green tomatoes at the end of the season. I would have maybe pickled them or made some kind of green katstup.

There is local apple picking & can also get slighly spoiled apples in quantity for less, so apple sauce.

same- pumpkins & pumpkin butter or just pumpkin for pies & soups.

I do freeze a lot of things when I have left over, but find I forget about them in the freezer, though I am better at using my pantry.

& also wonder if I might have less waste from freezer spoilage, as sometimes kids leave the freezer open..

willow

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 10:08 am
Cucumbers are super cheap here and I pickle often. But we eat them all within two days. They are that good.

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 10:50 am
I did strawberry jam last season. End of season, strawberries were 7NIS/kg...

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 10:54 am
My MIL has done fig, apricot, strawberry, raspberry, plum, kiwi, greengage plum, blackberry.

It does save money, especially if you buy only high quality jam, but they may be less good or last less long. If it's from your garden it's of course even cheaper.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:06 pm
at best making fruit preserves sounds FUN ... but I wouldn't go the gamut on much else ...

bubbebia

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:36 pm
I make my own jam in the summer when fruit is at peak season at our local farmer's market. Sometimes we even pick our own. This year I made apricot, blueberry, peachicot, triple berry and black and blueberry. I use the jars year after year and many of the bands but seals have to be new each time or it will not seal properly. To buy a new package of seals is not expensive. I used to use a regular great big soup pot with a round cooling rack in the bottom, but ultimately found it was not expensive to make the investment of a canning pot/rack. I've now had it for 5 years and it's going strong. There is a paperback book put out by Ball, the canning supply people, about how to can pretty much anything. I got it cheap at a Barnes and Noble sale. Check Amazon/ebay. It's fun. But you also need a lot of storage space if you can lots of stuff! Good luck!

alef12

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 3:29 pm
Yes.
Been busy this year and last but really have to get back to it. The main things we can:

Applesauce- In the fall when the apples are local fresh and plentiful I make tons of applesauce (no added sugar) Cans beautifully and then doesn't use up freezer space. This year I've been making less and freezing. I should really can some before the local apples are gone.

Roasted tomato sauce - In the past I used tomatoes from our garden or bought plum tomatoes by the case in August and made this. Delicious.

Plain chopped or diced tomatoes- mostly to save extra from garden.

Pickles- of course. Bread and butter is our favorite type of homemade pickles.

I don't have a pressure canner so have only canned 'acidic' things.

Volunteer

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 12:32 am
I love to can my own low-sugar preserves, and pickles.

What I like about it:
1. Creativity- I can make my own flavors and combinations, and spice things exactly the way I like
2. Health (maybe)- If you use low-sugar pectin, you can make good homemade preserves with very little sugar
3. I can store unusual or highly seasonal fruits that are not available year-round.

What you might not like about canning:
1. Cost: Whether or not you'll save money is iffy. It all depends on what you're canning, and how much it costs in your area, compared with the cost of buying canned/jarred products ready-made. Also, remember that time is money, too.
2. There's a learning curve. If you like cooking, you may enjoy learning how to can. Since there is a risk of spoilage and contamination, you need to be careful to follow the recipes exactly.

I think freshpreserving.com is a good web resource for recipes and techniques. They also run a phone hotline, so you can ask questions. The people on the line are helpful.

MiriamBatya1997

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:58 pm
I can. It saves me time and money. I buy chicken at a better price from the coop and then have canned chicken ready for a recipe (usually soup or stew for me). I also do soup starters like beef and mushrooms or beef cubes. Winter storm knocks the power out! Pop a couple lids, heat on the propane burner and instant hot stew that didn’t require a lot of propane. I’m about to move but plan to expand this year.

BABALABUSTA

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:15 pm
Hi, Reviving this, I'd love to can some food for yom tov. Now we have time for about 20 days, Can I can main dishes or just compotes and jams? Id love to have it smoother on the days before yom tov when gust/ family are arriving

MiriamBatya1997

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 9:17 pm
BABALABUSTA wrote:
Hi, Reviving this, I'd love to can some food for yom tov. Now we have time for about 20 days, Can I can main dishes or just compotes and jams? Id love to have it smoother on the days before yom tov when gust/ family are arriving

You can can meat and veggies. I use a pressure canner for low acid foods. There are multiple canning groups on fb (non frum) but you will find what you need based on what you have access to. Canning rebels is my fav. If you prefer YouTube, Sutton’s daze and Kneady Homesteader are a great place to start. So, for Yom Tov, I have chicken chunks canned in broth, beef cubes, and beef and mushrooms. 3 instant soups or stews ready to start. The veggies for my keto kugels are in the freezer (broccoli and cauliflower turn to mush when canned). When I get back from a trip soon, mushrooms are next on my canning list. I have green beans, celery, and carrots on the shelf. I also canned a shakshuka starter (tomatoes, peppers and onions). Add seasoning and eggs and that meal is ready. I have some soup but will add more when I get back. So in 20 days, you can prep your soups, some of your sides and maybe some veggies. My main for RH is brisket. While I’ve canned it cubed, I’ll make it in a crock or crockpot. Leftovers can be canned for soup.
Having some foods canned means they are already prepped. Some folks want cans of each entree on their shelves. I’m more of an ingredient canner. So my canned chicken is plain. I can use it in chicken chili, matzo ball soup, or chicken a la king ( non dairy) because I’m not locked in. Look at your holiday menu and decide which items would be helpful if it was already prepped now. I include the freezer, too!

BABALABUSTA

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 5:53 am
Thanks!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen