Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Booster Seats in NY

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:29 am
Starting at what age and/or weight are you allowed to (supposed to??) use a booster seat for a child?
Thank you!

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:41 am
I think 45 lbs.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 3:14 pm
a kid has to be in a car seat until then? my son is 30-something pounds and I was wondering when I could switch him

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 3:17 pm
I think from 4-6 in a booster... althgouh it's safer to go by weight.

realeez

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 12:35 pm
Here in Canada it is 4 and 40 lbs. I have heard that in some states 30 lbs and up is enough. LOok at each specific booster seat.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 4:02 pm
A good website (forgot which) said that at 30 pounds many booster seats may be used, but it's safer to wait till 40 pounds. It seems to always be better to keep a baby or child in a "younger" type of restraint as long as s/he doesn't exceed the height limit before graduating him/her to the next upgrade.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 9:32 pm
the turbo booster by graco can be used from 30 lbs and up. I have the one with a back that I use for my 5 and 6 year old. My oldest has been in a booster since he was 3.

chochma73

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 10:22 pm
check out this link http://www.health.state.ny.us/.....t.htm
to see what is needed in NY State.

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 7:14 pm
The minimum weight on most belt positioning booster seats is 30 lbs.

HOWEVER (and this is a BIG however), you should NOT use a bpb seat with a child who is not mature enough to sit properly in the seat with the seat belt over him/her EVERY TIME. The belt positioning booster seats do not restrain the kids. They only reposition the seatbelt to an anatomically appropriate level for the child. Without them, the seatbelt would land too far up on the neck and stomach, potentially (chas v'shalom) causing internal injuries in the event of an accident.

A child who cannot sit properly (upright) in the seat every time, with the shoulder belt over his/her front (not sliding it behind the back), or who falls asleep and slumps over so the belt is on funny, or who likes to click/unclick the belt -- should NOT be in a belt positioning booster seat, regardless of weight or height.

If you have a child over 40 lbs. or so who still isn't that mature, put him/her in a forward-facing five-point harness seat that can be used WITH the five-point harness to 55 or 65 or even 80 lbs. Race car drivers use 5-pt. harness seatbelts for a very good reason -- they are hands down the safest kind of restraint available. There are seats on the market that can do this -- the Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard (harnesses to 65 lbs.) the Britax Monarch (harnesses to 85 lbs.), the Safeguard Go seat, the Sunshine Kids Radian, the Recaro Como and Signo, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, the Fisher Price Safe Voyage, Safety First Apex 65 (made by Cosco). There is a wide range of price points in here and they are well worth the investment.

Sorry to sound like a downer, but rushing kids into a belt positioning booster before they are ready due to convenience or whatever is not a good idea. Most kids are simply not mature enough to really sit properly in one until they are AT LEAST 4 years old. Some aren't even mature enough then.

FWIW, kids should remain in a belt positioning booster until they are tall enough AND heavy enough to wear a seat belt as it's meant to fit on an adult. That means that the back of their knees should hit the edge of their seat when they sit up straight with their rear all the way back in the seat, and the lap belt fits over their hip bones (not their tummy), AND the shoulder belt sits on the top of the shoulder/bottom of the neck. High back belt positioning booster seats have an added element of side-impact protection for a child's head -- maybe more inconvenient, but definitely safer.

Don't sacrifice your kids' safety for convenience. It's just not worth it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics