Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
ISO Book recommendations for beginner sewing

rosey

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 1:18 pm
Sewists out there please recommend your most used/loved books on sewing. I'm a beginner, particularly interested in making clothes for my girls, but also other projects for home decor, gifts, anything. I've done some simple things from website tutorials, but it's a hassle for me to be dependent on a computer, I'd much rather work out of a book. Thanks

rosey

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 3:26 pm
No thoughts?

tzniutfashion

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:31 pm
I can recommend the Vogue Butterick Step-by-Step Guide to Sewing Techniques. Get the latest version.

Available on Amazon

Fox

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 5:20 pm
Nancy Zieman of Nancy's Notions has a ton of really outstanding books on various topics.

However, rather than relying on books, I find YouTube videos to be far more useful. The live-action allows all the fine points to be demonstrated without losing anything.

Search various topics, and you'll soon develop your own roster of favorite video instructors. In addition to Nancy Zieman, I love Jenny Doan (Missouri Star Quilt Company) and The Crafty Gemini. Threads Magazine also has a series of sewing videos for beginners. Even if the topic isn't precisely what I'm working on at the moment, I find it incredibly relaxing to watch other people sew, and I've learned lots of great techniques by accident!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics