Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning lady problems

amother

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 8:33 am
We just started with a new cleaner a couple of weeks ago (in Israel). She is Israeli, and has a lot of personal problems and started unloading them on me the first week she came. Her husband left her with 2 young children and he isn't interested in seeing them, and she says she has to constantly work because she has no money to raise her kids and everything is so expensive, including her anti-depressant drugs. Not that I'm judging how she spends her money, but she drives a nicer car (new) than we do, and wears nice clothes (even just for cleaning). She also doesn't claim taxes on the money she makes, so she makes a lot more than the typical Israeli. I work from home and she talks to me about her problems and random things when I'm trying to work, even when I politely tell her I have to get back to work. It's causing me to fall behind in my work and lose money. On top of that, she isn't a very good cleaner, and if I want to be sure something gets done, I usually have to ask more than once and stand around, which is very uncomfortable for me. I end up cleaning up before she comes, cleaning alongside her, and then cleaning the things I realize she didn't do after she leaves. It's becoming very distressing. I would feel very bad firing her, because she is always talking about how she always has to be working because she has no money. I can try to find her another job, but I can't really give an honest positive recommendation. What should I do? Thanks.

Sregion28

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 9:07 am
Obviously you are a very nice person so you dont want to fire this lady but you are hiring her for a REASON and if she's not doing what you are paying her to do, then it's silly to pay her! No one would keep you on in a job where you weren't working!
I say, tell her nicely that she's not needed anymore, but your responsibility is to your family. to make money for them and have a clean house for them - not to her.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 9:26 am
Just tell her you decided to do it yourself cause you are trying to be careful with money that you don't have to waste ... especially since your following her around and doing some stuff yourself anyway ... why should you be paying $$$ if she is not getting job done ...

mirisimma

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 9:46 am
sheesh. you are a sweetheart, I can totally see myself getting into that kind of situation. heres my view: (dont listent to me, I would end up with the lady moving into my apt!!!) youre not paying a cleaning lady, youre giving tzedaka and an occupation to this lady. BUT you need a cleaning lady and you need to work.

firstly, I think its ok to tell her you need to close your door or keep your headphones on bc youre in trouble at work, and you can be insistent about it. if she gets offended bc shes constantly interrupting you, then shes offending herself as far as I'm concerned.

about the money and the cleaning: if you can afford to get another cleaning lady, then have her come after this one, and consider this your tzedaka money. if you cant afford thatm then decide whether you want to give tzedaka (keep this lady) or get a real cleaning lady.

if you decide to hire a normal cleaning lady, then dont feel bad. youre entitled.

how to fire her? oy I dont know. maybe tell her you cant afford a cleaning girl anymorelike someone else said?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 3:52 pm
I'd keep her until after Pesach and then tell her that you really can't afford to have help but you wanted to try and see if you could manage it financially.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics