Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Grab Bag/White Elephant Gift

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:27 pm
I just received an email from my office manager saying that "we are having a grab bag/ White Elephant holiday party..." and suggesting a grab bag gift valued $15-$20 including tax.

I know what a grab bag is; not what a White Elephant is. Please explain to me and give me a suggest of what to get. I assume it is a blind grab bag of some sort.

If it matters, there are around 35 people in the office, around 1/3 frum, 2/3 not Jewish (and a couple of not frum Jewish people) and around 2/3 women and 1/3 men. Age ranges are from around 20-65. Participation is optional, but I would participate as I am not too involved in office matters as I'm the only part time employee and work remotely most of the time.

What kind of gift would you suggest getting?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:45 pm
A white elephant is an idiom for a valuable but burdensome possession of which its owner cannot dispose and whose cost (particularly cost of upkeep) is out of proportion to its usefulness or worth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_elephant

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
A white elephant is an idiom for a valuable but burdensome possession of which its owner cannot dispose and whose cost (particularly cost of upkeep) is out of proportion to its usefulness or worth.

Thanks. I am familiar with the term white elephant as you describe it; it didn't dawn on me that was what it meant in this context too.

Now I'm even more confused as to what to get.

Barbara

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:52 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
amother wrote:

Thanks. I am familiar with the term white elephant as you describe it; it didn't dawn on me that was what it meant in this context too.

Now I'm even more confused as to what to get.

http://www.wikihow.com/Organiz.....hange

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:54 pm
http://www.wikihow.com/Organiz.....hange

why don't you ask for specific rules so that people know what to expect ... this would be good for the entire office

maybe they're calling it white elephant - but really want a simple grab bag

if a price is set you have to wonder - cause nobody wants to go out & buy something useless ... or do they What

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:55 pm
Something gender-neutral and appropriate for an office setting, like a mug, picture frame, or paperweight?

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:58 pm
http://www.yankeeswapgiftideas.....lars/

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 7:00 pm
Ooh, this is starting to sound more complicated than I am really interested in. I'd just assume bow out of the whole thing, but I really think it would be best for me to participate since I am not really part of the whole office "scene"in general (and I'm a close relative of the big boss, as well as one of the oldest there so I don't have much relationship with the other workers).

CatLady

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 7:25 pm
This game is the highlight of my office party, so much so that we've started doing it in my family for Chanukah.

You can never go wrong with a travel mug and Starbucks gift card. And keep in mind that if you get a Bag O'Bacon, or some other unsuitable gift, you always swap with someone else.

Tova

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 7:32 pm
One year for one of these things I just browsed Bed Bath and Beyond and found this small fishtank that had a plastic workstation in it. It was very cute. The recipient LOVED it, everyone else was so jealous of her that she chose it. She kept it on her desk until she left the company.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:09 pm
Where I come from, that's just a variation of Secret Santa. You don't have to participate.

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 11:23 pm
I participate in two "white elephants" every December season. It's a variation on the secret santa without referencing anything x-mas. The ones I've participated in tell me who I am supposed to send my package too, so I know the gender of the recipient and I often have a general idea of some appropriate gifts. They usually have a list of rules regarding prices (and whether gift cards are allowed), a "mail by" date if it's being done remotely, and a final reference to keep gifts either practical (one of my work exchanges asks participants to give something that relates to work) or cultural neutral.

IME, the exchanges really help you to network and be part of the work community. Even when I've gotten "eh" gifts in return, I've always found that my participation is looked upon favorably.

Gifts I've given:
- a really nice silk-like scarf (if you don't know who will get it a gender neutral scarf/gloves set)
- an amazon gift card
- a care package of (purchased) chocolates, hot chocolate, coffee, tea, and cookies
- a nice flashlight set
- artist paintbrushes (this one likely won't be too relevant for you)
- a set of picture frames

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 10:03 am
cbsmommy wrote:
I participate in two "white elephants" every December season. It's a variation on the secret santa without referencing anything x-mas. The ones I've participated in tell me who I am supposed to send my package too, so I know the gender of the recipient and I often have a general idea of some appropriate gifts. They usually have a list of rules regarding prices (and whether gift cards are allowed), a "mail by" date if it's being done remotely, and a final reference to keep gifts either practical (one of my work exchanges asks participants to give something that relates to work) or cultural neutral.

IME, the exchanges really help you to network and be part of the work community. Even when I've gotten "eh" gifts in return, I've always found that my participation is looked upon favorably.

Gifts I've given:
- a really nice silk-like scarf (if you don't know who will get it a gender neutral scarf/gloves set)
- an amazon gift card
- a care package of (purchased) chocolates, hot chocolate, coffee, tea, and cookies
- a nice flashlight set

I emailed the office manager to ask if there are any more rules or guidelines. From the original email though it doesn't look like we will know who will get the gift. I like the Amazon gift card idea though since I've got a few $15 ones in the house from when there was a promotion to get $5 back when you guy $45 of them.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 10:12 am
Just got a response from the office manager who explained like someone above did: "Everyone chooses a number (lets say there are 10 participants so 1-10) and number 1 chooses a gift. Then number 2 can either take numbers 1’s gift or choose another and so on and so forth, once number 10 goes then number 1 has one more chance to swap with anyone."

So, no knowing who will get the item, so it should be suitable for anyone. Looks like I'll go with the Amazon gift card unless I get another brainstorm.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 10:12 am
cbsmommy wrote:

Gifts I've given:
- an amazon gift card
- a nice flashlight set

I emailed the office manager to ask if there are any more rules or guidelines. From the original email though it doesn't look like we will know who will get the gift. I like the Amazon gift card idea though since I've got a few $15 ones in the house from when there was a promotion to get $5 back when you guy $45 of them.

syrima

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 11:04 am
I once got a snow scraper mitt and snowball maker form one of these things.
I would encourage you to go, it is a lot of fun.

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 11:53 am
Jewel gift cards and gas station gift cards used to be very popular where I worked. Target and Wal-Mart cards would also probably be great gifts. They're places that people tend to go to regularly and allow the recipient to use the gift for necessities or luxuries, no matter how you define either.

BTW, be sure to check back and let us know what you received!

mommyhood

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 12:13 pm
CatLady wrote:
This game is the highlight of my office party, so much so that we've started doing it in my family for Chanukah.

You can never go wrong with a travel mug and Starbucks gift card. And keep in mind that if you get a Bag O'Bacon, or some other unsuitable gift, you always swap with someone else.

When dh had to buy a grab bag gift for work I did a travel mug with a small package of Starbucks VIA packets. I got them both from Target. He said they were a big hit.
I've also done a bottle of wine when it's all adults.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics