Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Anyone treating ADD-inattentive type without meds?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 2:28 pm
My six year old son has Add-inattentive type.
He doesn't disrupt the class, but he doesn't learn much either. A trial run on Vyvanse was quite successful, but I'm soooo hesitant. His teacher makes things exciting, and is very devoted- so the overall situation is conducive to progress.

I just wish there's some vitamin, etc.. that I could give instead.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 3:09 pm
I have tried Omega 3. I didn't see any significant difference. I will tell you that my DS has been on the medication Focalin XR since September and he is a different kid. We went from dreading PTA the last 2 years to getting a list of positive comments from teachers this year. My DS is really grasping what is going on in class and went from going out for: chumash, kriah, reading, and OT-to being in class almost the whole day! In many ways I regret the time and money that I wasted trying the Omega 3. If you are having success with medication I would encourage you do stick with it. My DS went from hating anything to do with school to being the first one at the bus stop. His whole attitude changed. He used to talk about how his teachers hate him, that he was slow and dumb. He made a complete turn-around since we started the medication.
Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 3:09 pm
I have tried Omega 3. I didn't see any significant difference. I will tell you that my DS has been on the medication Focalin XR since September and he is a different kid. We went from dreading PTA the last 2 years to getting a list of positive comments from teachers this year. My DS is really grasping what is going on in class and went from going out for: chumash, kriah, reading, and OT-to being in class almost the whole day! In many ways I regret the time and money that I wasted trying the Omega 3. If you are having success with medication I would encourage you do stick with it. My DS went from hating anything to do with school to being the first one at the bus stop. His whole attitude changed. He used to talk about how his teachers hate him, that he was slow and dumb. He made a complete turn-around since we started the medication.
Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 6:26 pm
As an adult with ADHD and other mental health issues: I WISH my parents had given me the help I needed as a child, both medication and skill development. My life would have been very, very different.

You've had positive results with medication; there's no reason to not continue with that. He will be much better off in life if he's able to learn in class now.

In addition to the medication, you can help him develop skills. For example, something that I find helpful when I'm struggling to pay attention is to use a timer set to 5-15 minutes, and then make myself concentrate on one task during that time. It makes things easier because I know I'll have a break soon during which I can take some time to contemplate whatever is going through my head. Keep repeating, and I get things done. In conjunction with a therapist, you can find appropriate techniques and help him develop them.

Other things that you can do IN CONJUNCTION WITH medication: make sure he's on a regular sleep routine and getting enough sleep and has a reasonably good diet.

I think it's great that you want to help him, and that you want to make sure that what you're giving him isn't harmful. But this is a problem both of a physical nature and a behavioral one, and the physical part of it isn't going to be helped through vitamins or supplements. It's entirely possible that early intervention will help him to overcome this problem, and that he can be weaned off medication under a therapist's guidance in the future.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 6:36 pm
I've heard success stories using alternative methods to "organize" the brain, including exercises, sound therapy, diet changes, and skill training. I believe the success rate depends on the nature of the problem; I don't think all "ADHD" is really the same thing because I see many different people presenting with symptoms that qualify for the same diagnosis yet their profiles are actually very different when you look more deeply - some have more sensory integration issues, some have more auditory processing deficits, some have more of the impulsivity...

If you PM me, I offer a free screening to help you decide which treatment options could work for you.

Also try contacting imamother member Sparkle, who successfully treated her kids' special needs with natural remedies.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 8:00 pm
Op here.

I was fine with the meds until I read the pamphlet that came with it...and the side effects including mental illness, depression, etc...As someone who has seen a lot mental illness up close, I'm shuddering.

shoshana11

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 4:42 am
I think it depends which ADD he has and how he'll do without the meds (there are 7 types of non-hyper ADD). If he is not hyper the meds will be helpful but not as significantly as with ADHD. I read a beautiful book : "Superparenting for ADD: An Innovative Approach to Raising Your Distracted Child"
by Edward M. Hallowell. And also : "Healing ADD Revised Edition: The Breakthrough Program that Allows You to See and Heal the 7 Types of ADD", by Amen, Daniel G., and I highly recommend reading both of them. It helped me tremendously in understanding and parenting my kids. Kids get used to meds and in a few years you will need higher doses and or additional meds to stimulate the brain, so even though they are absolutely essential in some children, they are definitely not to be taken lightly. Good luck with your decision!!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 8:39 am
seeker wrote:
I've heard success stories using alternative methods to "organize" the brain, including exercises, sound therapy, diet changes, and skill training. I believe the success rate depends on the nature of the problem; I don't think all "ADHD" is really the same thing because I see many different people presenting with symptoms that qualify for the same diagnosis yet their profiles are actually very different when you look more deeply - some have more sensory integration issues, some have more auditory processing deficits, some have more of the impulsivity...

If you PM me, I offer a free screening to help you decide which treatment options could work for you.

Also try contacting imamother member Sparkle, who successfully treated her kids' special needs with natural remedies.

I like this post seeker ( and others you make ) so I'd like to pm you for some advice. Is that OK

ima bima

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:04 am
Caffeine is a stimulant. Try to give your child a cup of coffee before school and see if it makes a difference. It's still a drug but at least it doesn't come along with a pamphlet!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:20 am
We tried natural approaches and behavioral which helped somewhat academically but not socially. In second grade we saw big problems that the inattentiveness caused socially and with self esteem. Imo damage to a child's psyche and feelings of selfworth present more of a long-term risk to wellbeing than possible side effects of the drugs. We succumbed, put her on basic ritalin, and she is happy and thriving bh.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

I was fine with the meds until I read the pamphlet that came with it...and the side effects including mental illness, depression, etc...As someone who has seen a lot mental illness up close, I'm shuddering.

I know the side effects can look scary. But, I want to point out that a child whose ADD is not managed well really suffers and that can cause depression and anxiety and other problems as well. I had ADHD growing up, and it was never managed and I struggled EVERY SINGLE DAY of my childhood in school, I was depressed at age 6, and then again at age 15 I fell into such a deep depression that I nearly killed myself. I did at some point take Ritalin for a few years - it was a God-send. Changed my life.

So, I know that the side effects looks scary, but they are rare. And even if they do occur, stopping the medication almost always gets rid of them. Please keep in mind that allowing your child to suffer through his problems will ultimately give him more issues, and I believe that the risk of that is higher than the risk of serious side effects from taking ADD meds.

If you are really concerned about the side effects, talk to your child's doctor - they can help put into perspective what the likelihood is of serious side effects and what can be done if they appear, and whether side effects will be long term. Having this information will allow you to make an informed decision about whether medication is the right decision for your child.

P.S. I also strongly advocate for management techniques along side medication.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)