Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
3 Day Potty Training Methods

abemom2

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 10:51 pm
[size=18]HI! Have any of you tried any of the 3 day potty training methods sold online? From people's comments it seems they work, but you never know with that.

What do you say?
[/size] Confused Confused

su7kids

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 11:03 pm
Why is it sold online?

Do you know the methods? What are you buying? I think you can do it in 3 days, if you have the right age child and the time, without buying a kit.

mimivan

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 11:20 pm
No, but I was very desperate to potty train my son before cheder. Nothing was working. Someone had suggested letting him run naked and putting a small potty in the room, and put him on it as soon as he needed to go. I rejected this at first because of many reasons (tzniut, mess etc..) Finally, I had no choice, (and I found out my rav's wife did it) and it worked like a charm. I'd only do it again like that if I were desperate, but at least I know something that works.

Make sure you give lots of rewards too

su7kids

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 11:39 pm
Also, making a very big deal every time he does it right. Like a party with streamers and blowers etc.

If he has a favorite TV/video/story book character, or even his grandma, have him call them every time he makes, and have them FUSS. Dad or a friend can double as the TV/video/story book character, with warning.

Of course, more importantly, remind the child what needs to be done and where.

abemom2

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:02 am
At this point, after 4 days, he will only go on the potty if he made #2 in his underwear and wants to be changed fast. Otherwise he'll tell me right after he has an accident. He gets stickers, candy, we call the grandparents... He will almost not go on, and the first two days he was really excited to be on. And giving him his privacy doesn't either help. When he's on he could sit for a really long time, but will only make once he's off.

Thank you.

Newsie

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:44 am
I didn't keep my son totally naked, just bottomless and it took us around 4-5 days till he was trained well. Those 5 days were ROUGH though. You have to be able to totally devote all your time to them.

mimivan

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:56 am
Yes, we kept him home from gan and I had to take time off!!

hadasa

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 3:17 am
There's a book called "Potty training in less than a day". I used that method. It took me more than a day, but it made a lot of progress in kids who were really having a hard time.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 4:15 am
The system was developed children with mental deficiencies. (Reread Toilet Training in Less Than A day). The original premise was that for these children it was 100% training as opposed to understanding and education. Pain/pleasure as well.

Besides the "train Mommy" aspect of it, I would not use it at the beginning of training. It is not healthy that this should fall on normally functioning child out of the blue. If training is ongoing and stuck. A day or two of this might finish the job as long as there is no pressure and it is a pleasant experience.

Training children like dogs is not a good parent - child relationship model.

su7kids

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 10:46 am
How old is the kid you're working with at this stage?

If he's old enough, I would tell him that he will ONLY get rewards if he makes on the toilet after being clean, not if he sits after being soiled.

But "reasoning" with him depends on his age.

abemom2

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 2:08 am
Reasoning wouldn't work, he's almost 2.5. I've tried. Whenever he makes in his diaper he says, "Mommy toilet." He knows what it is but won't go.

Thanks for all advice.

su7kids

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 2:21 am
Honestly, honestly honestly, from my experience of training 7 kids, the only one who had problems was the one who was around 2 at the time. All the others were 3 or more, and I must say, I neve rhad any problems with them.

So, you know where my vote lies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training