Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling to Israel for the 1st time HELP

amother

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 9:53 pm
There is a chance that my husband and our soon to be 2 children will be able to go to israel. For me it will be the first time. My dh is an israeli citizen and apperantly that makes my children israeli citizens too and that might create issues once we get there. Did anyone ever have this situation and what did you do to get your children out of the army and whatever else. My current child has an american passport. I am an american citizen and dh is and israeli and canadian. and I m planning to make the child soon to be an american too. Any advice. Also any advice on traveling with 2 children and what is a good double stroller is terms of size that will fit in the israeli car which I was told are small.
THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH GREATLY APPRICIATE ANY HELP.
posting annon because people know me here. thank you for understanding.

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 11:49 pm
You would be wise to call your nearest Israeli consulate before you go to find out whether your children are, in fact, considered Israeli citizens. If so, you may be required to get Israeli passports for them (you can do that at the consulate), as Israeli law stipulates that Israeli citizens MUST enter and leave the country on Israeli travel documents.

The consulate will also be able to advise you concerning the army issue. As far as I'm aware, it's really a non-issue until around their 16th birthdays, which is when most Israeli teenagers get their "tzav giyus" or "tzav rishon" (recruitment orders). At that point it becomes a question of whether or not they're obligated to serve, and that's determined by a variety of factors, which is why I suggest calling the consulate.

happy

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 6:34 pm
seems a little far fetched to worry what will happen in 18 years from now! I know plenty of people who are Israeli citizens who travel to and from Israel with American children. What is your concern? are you planning on living in Israel in the near future-cause if you live here and just travel there, they can't recruit your kids! (when they come of age).

amother

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 9:25 pm
happy thanks for replying. I already called the counsulate of israel and all I have to do is get passports and there is no issue with the army cause I can sign a waiver. My concern is more of how smart is it to take a 2 month old and travel with a 4 toddler and 2 months old. also what cloth to take with since its very hot. should I even bother to take a jean skirt or am I gonna get tomatoed? I want to visit meah shearim I heard if you don't dress to their code you get rocks thrown at you or something like it. also I will only have 2 weeks and I want to see the kotel of course kever rambam and the kever of arizal those are my order of priority and if I can see other things great if not ok. I know it will be hard to travel with baby. want to know what would make it easier. thanks for any advice or ideas.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 1:46 am
How smart it is to travel w/kids depends on the person. Everywhere in Israel you can get diapers, wipes, pacis, nursing pads, etc. Also mehadrin milkic or soy formula and jarred baby food. In expensive or bargain brands. I suggest a snap and go for the baby and a carrier if you like them. The snap and go is for traveling in buses and cabs. Carriers are much easier for small babies for hikes, walking tours and in and out of buses.

Its very hot depends on where you will be. If you are going to be in Gush Dan (TA, Bnai Brak) the summer is hot and humid. Bring a sweater, hoodie, etc. For cool nights, after swimming, etc.

If you are in the mountains -Y-m, Tzfat, Yesha the summer days are nice but nights can get chilly.

Tiveria, Jordan Valley, Dead Sea and Negev (esp Eilat) can get so hot that people only come out at night. But the nights can be freezing in some of those areas (think running the heater and sleeping with a down quilt.

You probably will not see any rain unless there is a fluke drizzle. There are cloudy days though.

I would take a reg summer wardrobe incl water shoes (there are pebbles on the bottom of the Kinneret), good walking shoes. And a fleece jacket w/a hood and a nice sweater for Shabbos. Sun hats, rubber shoes and such will be a few shekels there if you do not buy in a hotel or tourist trap. Since your dh is Israeli he or his family will know where to buy cheap items you don't like shlepping.

Oh, and if you need a good sunscreen bring it. The cost is prohibitive here.

As I said in another thread, we love to travel around and if you need any help on a particular area in terms of where to stay or anything else give a holler or pm me.

BTW, I would not sigh anything now. You are tourists. If your children decide to return as adults they will be returning Israelis. Since the army is totally irrelevant at this age it would be foolish to burn any bridge. There hasn't been an army prob for years even for guys who were born and grew up here. I would decide any questions of status when each child is around 16 because the laws change all the time and you will know what each child is thinking about doing w/their lives. For girls it is even more foolish because any girl who tells the army she is religiously opposed to serving will never be called again.

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:55 am
Don't forget to drink a lot and make sure toddler drinks too. Also, sunhats are imperative for the kids.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 5:01 am
Didn't see this before:
Quote:
what is a good double stroller is terms of size that will fit in the israeli car which I was told are small.

There is no such thing as an Israeli car. Cars come in the same makes you see in the rest of the world, so ask what make. If you are renting you can choose. You don't see many Oldsmobiles or Continentals or other super wide cars but other than that you see the normal collection. A double that folds and is light is a MacLaren and similar. My dd's double, a heavy Peg one behind the other fits in a car trunk. The lighter ones just leave room to put something else.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 6:09 pm
Thank you everyone for all your replies and information is very useful. I am not 100% sure I m going but I hope we can afford it. Thank you again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics