Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
So how much did you spend so far…
Previous  1  2  3  4

shayna82

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
I try not to be the critical type but I'm just wondering whats the point of this thread do I get a prize if I spent the most money or rather the least amount of money? Everyone should spend according to what they can afford.
Withhumor I think you are totally wrong! new shoes for pesach is more important then a cleaning lady! there is another option to a cleaning lady you can get off your behind and do it yourself however if your children outgrew thier shoes what are you gonna do cut the front open? as long as you can have your cleaning help I consider that a little selfish.

why dont u start a thread on spending the least amount of money and still getting by then? if you dont like the thread, scroll on down. not everyone will post a topic thta sits well with you. and secondly, going another 8 days without new shoes, most people can do. unless of cource they are soo tight and small thta they cant go another minute. for most people im assuming, they dont let it get that far. for some cleaning help is more important then getting a couple toddler news shoes for pesach.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 3:27 pm
I would like that thread - I don't spend that much !!!!

cl

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 4:02 pm
I dont think this thread was meant to b a competition - I just think some of us - especially pesach 1st timers - like 2 see what is 'normal' amount 2 spend.

I have 7 adults (5 guests) an 1 toddler 2 cater for this yomtov so it good 4 me 2 have an idea of what people are spending money on an general costs.

Some of us can, BH, afford to pay $1000+ for pesach an some of us are struggling to even cover the basics but it seems thats the cost of yomtov and DH keeps reassuring me that money spent on a mitzva can only be for the good an IYH we will be paid back for it.

newmom

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 4:15 pm
I don't see what there is to get uptight about this thread. I think people want to see that
pesach is costing a pretty penny for everyone else, and that their spending habits are not just out of control.

hipstamom

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 8:55 pm
Let see...

$200 @ IKEA: 6 pl. blue dish set (a pretty cobalt blue), 2 sets of flatware ($20), white tone-on-tone checked tablecloth (for $5, I have a small table), Startbox 1 ($80 but has every kitchen basic that you can think of), 6 pk. of red wine glasses ($5, who can beat that?), 2-in-1 springform pan ($8, it also has a tube insert,) a 13x9' casserole that can go from oven to table ($9).

Food:
Meat: about $80 for deckel brisket.
Chicken: about $20 (got thighs and ground turkey on sale @ Pathmark.)

$28 for blech on 18th Ave.

$20 for labels, candles, (I ran out last shabbat),and dish soap.

Grand Total: approx. $350 but I think I got an obnoxious amount of stuff!

I'm not even close to finishing. sigh... Don't have time to go during the week since I go to school.

I'm getting the rest of household stuff, perishables and the rest of the meat Saturday night/Sunday morning. DH is going to make another trip to IKEA on Sunday.

I still have figure out how much wine I need. Anyone know a good way to estimate amount per person/ per bottle? Thanx!

S.Shcwartz

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 12:17 pm
$28 for blech on 18th Ave.
are u serious? Is that the going price?

baseballmom

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 1:54 pm
Ok, I am finally done shopping for Peasch... and my grand total was $800 - that includes fresh food, dry goods, meat, matzah, and paper goods. B'H have all the pots, dishes etc. Another $1000 on clothing for me and dcs! I sure hope our tax refund comes soon (of course that means I have to file it first Wink )

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 2:08 pm
Sure. a big blech is $$$$$$$

amother

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
Im not the amother above ... but to be honest I'm jealous of all of you who seem to be complaining ... I don't have a cleaning lady and look how much money I spent and wasted and you don't even seem satisfied - believe it or not some people do not have help and they do not have money so pesach becomes a hugh burden - personally my kids will be happy if I buy them new toothbrushes let alone the fact that I cannot buy them the clothes they need and I feel bad for all of us - and my job is not to panick and pretend it's okay even when I know it's NOT

I feel the same way. No one in our house is getting new clothes for Pesach. I did buy new shoes for one child whose old shoes were way too small. Myself, I haven't had a new item of clothing, other than stockings, in three years and my glasses are broken. It's a major treat to just get my sheitel washed.

No one needs to feel bad that they can afford things. In fact, I'll tell you myself to enjoy it in good health! Still, seeing how much others spend is a bit depressing for me. Sad

amother

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 9:51 pm
shayna82 wrote:
lol... I had a million toothbrushes from dentists ofice, each year I just pull another bunch out.

That's great for you! I am really happy that you can do that. It just seems like everyone is minimizing other's money concerns. I know in my family we don't have the money to go to the dentist (insurance doesn't cover it).

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 8:24 am
My insurance doesn’t cover dental either. If something really hurts, we take Tylenol for a few days. I haven’t been to a dentist in years. So much for the privilege of having private insurance, that barely covers anything!

I’m also pretty much done with my Pesach, I already shopped the food yesterday, I think I was there the firm at KRM, 7:31 am! Got the delivery, started on a coking orgy that didn’t die down until 10 pm. Everything is done B’H. if only all I had to do for Pesach is cook, I’d be a happy queen, it’s my favorite part!

SO back to the original subject, this year we invested in China, silverware, oven, the works so it cost us a hefty buck (a few thousand) however next year, it will only cost us for food, AND if we need any new clothes. That’s it!

amother

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 8:45 am
amother wrote:

I feel the same way. No one in our house is getting new clothes for Pesach. I did buy new shoes for one child whose old shoes were way too small. Myself, I haven't had a new item of clothing, other than stockings, in three years and my glasses are broken. It's a major treat to just get my sheitel washed.

No one needs to feel bad that they can afford things. In fact, I'll tell you myself to enjoy it in good health! Still, seeing how much others spend is a bit depressing for me. Sad

thanks at least I feel that s/o else understands me ... today I can breath a little easier cause my friend sent me $$ for food

amother

Post Sat, Mar 31 2007, 9:10 pm
I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, but I'm just really upset because we just realized we only have about $30 in the bank and we haven't paid for matzah or wine yet. Crying I don't know what we are going to do. Next year I'll know to tell my husband to buy that first.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sat, Mar 31 2007, 9:11 pm
withhumor wrote:
My insurance doesn’t cover dental either. If something really hurts, we take Tylenol for a few days. I haven’t been to a dentist in years. So much for the privilege of having private insurance, that barely covers anything!

Hugs to you!

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 31 2007, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, but I'm just really upset because we just realized we only have about $30 in the bank and we haven't paid for matzah or wine yet. Crying I don't know what we are going to do. Next year I'll know to tell my husband to buy that first.

what about places that have maos chittim ... it is specifically for matzo you know ... see if you could ask ... the rav of my shul made an announcement today that people should give cause there are many local families that need ... and pesach is all too close ... GOOD LUCK!!!

ny21

Post Sat, Mar 31 2007, 9:22 pm
clover - like the stuff you use for havdola when you put it on the tooth
it numbs it and easies the pain.
you can also buy oil of clover at a health food store for around $8.00.

withhumor

Post Sat, Mar 31 2007, 10:22 pm
Yes, clove oil is pretty good, thank you!

There are many anonymous donors who give their money to organizations every year, especially for pesach. Wherever you go, you see organizations handing out matzo, wine, potatoes, etc. there is no excuse not to take from the organizations. Even if you are making a decent earning, Pesach is an expense that doesn’t fit into a regular budget these days. If you have $30 left in bank, please accept matzos and wine and potatoes from an organization. It’s not like you can pay for it anyway by now! Use that money to buy 1 nice toy for the kids for yom tov, which they can open after the zman or something. Life is short, make every minute count. Your children won’t remember in 5 years from now if they had torn shoes 1 year or not, but they will remember the memory of a calm family hour where everyone shared anew puzzle!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics