Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Do you wash your hands in a sink outside the John?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 10:28 am
After using the John, do you always wash your hands in a sink outside the bathroom? Is it permissible to wash your hands in the bathroom? What is the Halacha?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 10:30 am
first of all stop calling it john!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
first of all stop calling it john!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, is that your husband's or son's name?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 10:35 am
she must be doing that so we don't guess who she is.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 10:42 am
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you be able to wash your hands in the bathroom?

lotte

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 11:03 am
I don't understand why she does not want us to know who she is..what's embbarassing about it?
I always washed my hands in the bathroom and them went out to say asher yatzar.but I realized that all people that are frumer than I am do go out of the room and wash their hands out of the bathroom.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 11:07 am
I don't get it. What's frummer about washing your hands outside the bathroom?

lotte

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 11:11 am
only1 wrote:
I don't get it. What's frummer about washing your hands outside the bathroom?

I am not sure but I THINK according to halacha you should not wash your hands IN the room?

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 11:14 am
But why????????????????????????

Hannah!

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 11:39 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 12:07 pm
I never took it upon myself NOT to wash in the bathroom.

newmom

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 5:21 pm
I don't like touching doorknobs period, but especially in bathrooms where I know that people don't wash their hands until they are out of the bathroom.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 7:34 pm
The idea is that you wash negel vaser after use of the bathroom which some hold can only be outside of bathroom ... so you wash your hands with soap & water in the bathroom so that you are hygenically clean ... and then wash negel vaser outside of bathroom for halachik purposes ...

I actually see people wash in kitchen over dishes and wonder if they wash with soap in bath ... I hold a papertowel in public bathroom to open door ...

jewgal84

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 7:47 pm
I was my hands (with soap) and negel vasser in the bathroom sink and say asher yotzar after my hands are dried out of the b-room.

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 8:10 pm
greenfire wrote:
The idea is that you wash negel vaser after use of the bathroom which some hold can only be outside of bathroom ... so you wash your hands with soap & water in the bathroom so that you are hygenically clean ... and then wash negel vaser outside of bathroom for halachik purposes ...

I actually see people wash in kitchen over dishes and wonder if they wash with soap in bath ... I hold a papertowel in public bathroom to open door ...

That's exactly what I do. errm, not wash with the dishes, but the first part. Btw, has anyone seen the pic of the 2 sinks and in one sink are soaking dishes and the other is a baby bathing?

mumoo

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 8:42 pm
when we have a big crowd and both sinks have long lines, invariably one kid will get the great idea to wash for hamotzi in the bathroom. I will wash ater the bathroom or shower in the bathroom, but halacha or not, I don't like the thought of washing for hamotzi in there.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 7:06 am
greenfire wrote:

Ok that makes more sense - wash your hands with soap in the bathroom, and wash negal vasser outside the bathroom. I thought the OP meant there was something wrong with washing your hands with soap in the bathroom.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 7:31 am
only1 wrote:
I thought the OP meant there was something wrong with washing your hands with soap in the bathroom.
Nopes, but realistically, going to the kitchen and washing with a cup, every time you use the JOHN, is time consuming. Is it a must Halachically?

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 7:37 am
amother wrote:
Nopes, but realistically, going to the kitchen and washing with a cup, every time you use the JOHN, is time consuming. Is it a must Halachically?

obviously not e/o does it ... I don't ... but I know many people that do ... they also wash negel vasser every time they touch their hair or shoes or scratch a body part ...

mumoo

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 8:31 am
greenfire wrote:
amother wrote:

obviously not e/o does it ... I don't ... but I know many people that do ... they also wash negel vasser every time they touch their hair or shoes or scratch a body part ...

after using the bathroom
after taking a bath or shower
after cutting your nails
after a haircut/shve
after touching/removing shoes (I heard only leather shoes)
after scratching your scalp
after touching parts of your body that are usually covered (does this mean elbows for a woman?)
after leaving a cemetery
after touching or being under the same roof as a niftar (attending a funeral)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics