Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Making mock Potato starch
1  2  Next

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:04 pm
Has anyone ever heard of a different product other than potatoes with which to make a starch, like potato starch but easier to make? I heard that there is a banana-like kind of thing that you bake in the oven till it's hard and then grind it and you can use it like potato starch on pesach. Does anyone know what this is? What it's called and if it works and tastes like potato starch?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:06 pm
Is it a plantain?

From wikipedia:
Plantains are also dried and ground into flour; banana meal forms an important foodstuff, with the following constituents: water 10.62, albuminoids 3.55, fat 1.15, carbohydrates 81.67 (more than ⅔ starch), fibre 1.15, phosphates 0.26, other salts, 1.60. The sugar is chiefly sucrose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.....flour

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 4:44 pm
at least after you make potato startch you hve the potatoes to eat . . this seems like a waste of a banana. and iw onder how the taste is....

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 4:48 pm
It's not really a waste b/c you're using the whole thing.

Actually, fried plaintains (tostones) would be a great idea for a snack on pesach. Why haven't I thought of that before?

Last edited by DefyGravity on Tue, Mar 27 2007, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 4:50 pm
but just for that one inyan.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 4:52 pm
I don't understand where there's any waste.

bashinda

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 5:01 pm
I saw in the Lubavitch UK a recipe for apple kugel which had ground nuts in place of potato starch. has anyone tried using that for a substitute?

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 5:38 pm
you can add finely grated COOKED potato to almost any recipe - I even made a cake that way!

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 6:01 pm
You can use ground nuts in some things - eg gefilta fish, as a schnitzle coating (but it is expensive.)

Poelmamash can I have your cake recipe using grated cooked potatoe?

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 6:06 pm
yeah - I've seen a chef on tv cook with bananas for a passover recipe once ... anyway a plantain is green and more starchy than a regular banana ... slice them thin before you bake them if you're really gonna do it ...

bashinda

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 6:11 pm
Raisin wrote:
You can use ground nuts in some things - eg gefilta fish, as a schnitzle coating (but it is expensive.)

Poelmamash can I have your cake recipe using grated cooked potatoe?

sorry but this is a me too post. any tips or pointers?

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 6:14 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
It's not really a waste b/c you're using the whole thing.

Actually, fried plaintains (tostones) would be a great idea for a snack on pesach. Why haven't I thought of that before?

I made fried plantains for Pesach last year, they were great!!! Tongue Out

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 9:24 am
Is plantain easy to get? Does anyone know where in Boro Park it can be gotten?

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 9:48 am
10 eggs, separated,
beat whites with 1/2 c. sugar
another 1/2 c, sugar, 2 c. gound walnuts, 1 med grated cooked potato VERY fine with yolks. gently fold in whites and bake immediately on 350 in 2 round cake tins (w the holes - THIS IS VERY IMPT) ALSO IMPT, bake for over 1 hr until totally done!!

REG sugar, not boiled

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 10:04 am
Poel, correct me if I am wron gas I am not sure I understand this:
I grate the potatoes, like for potato kugel. then I cook it in a pot of water, and then I drain the water and use the potatoes in the recipe?
Also does this taste good? And can I do this with any other recipe?

bashinda

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 10:37 am
poelmamosh wrote:
10 eggs, separated,
beat whites with 1/2 c. sugar
another 1/2 c, sugar, 2 c. gound walnuts, 1 med grated cooked potato VERY fine with yolks. gently fold in whites and bake immediately on 350 in 2 round cake tins (w the holes - THIS IS VERY IMPT) ALSO IMPT, bake for over 1 hr until totally done!!

REG sugar, not boiled

so you're saying I can't use regular tins for this? Do they sell the already toiveled tube pans? In the regular year I use other pans for sponge cakes all the time but Pesach isn't the rest of the year. Does this mean I have to go to Auction Ware for the fourth time if I want to make this cake? Oy va voy LOL

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 9:10 pm
Quote:
so you're saying I can't use regular tins for this?

you can try bashinda, but nothing's guarenteed... Twisted Evil
OTOH, if it flops... 2 cups of ground nuts Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Poel, correct me if I am wron g..I grate the potatoes, like for potato kugel. then I cook it in a pot of water, and then I drain the water and use the potatoes in the recipe?

not! the potato would be totally waterlogged that way. Just boil a potato whole, or in cubes, drain, then grate.

trafficgal

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 10:02 pm
when ever we make potato kugle on peasach we grate it and let it sit in a bowl then squeaze it move the potato to another bowl to make the kugle let the potato juice sit the stuff that settles on the bottom is potato starch, drain it and then put clean water in it let it sit again do this till it is clean and a hard starch forms at the bottom! we do it every time we make kugle and we make tons of kugle and we get enoguh starch for a few cakes on peasach.

shayna82

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 10:19 pm
yikes sounds like a lot of work to me... I can never have enough time to do that...

bashinda

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 10:30 pm
or patience. also I could see myself throwing out the starch part by accident.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics