Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Bal Tashchis-

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 3:36 pm
So now before I bring some examples can someone tell me what is baal Tashchis? And how does it apply to lets say leftover food, or outgrown clothes etc?

Last edited by Tefila on Mon, May 23 2005, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Motek

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 3:52 pm
the Hebrew word is "bal" which means "don't"

not to be confused with 'baal' which means "master"

and "tashchis" does mean "destroy"

here's a link which explains the origin of the prohibition, and if you read until the end (it's not long) it explains how it applies to other things too

http://www.torah.org/advanced/......html

Last edited by Motek on Mon, May 23 2005, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 4:04 pm
Ok here's an example here I am serving my babies food reg food and they don't want to eat anymore so

a) Do I finish it (and gain more weight) since the food would go off, if I left it for tommorrow. And noone else wants it!?
b) Do I wrap it well and donate it to the soup kitchen though who will take it?
c) Do I throw it outside and pray the birds will eat it?
or
e) Do I chuck it and say blow it we are not so bad off, I mean it's just ....... a few pieces of chicken?

What Well?

Motek

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 4:15 pm
what do you do if you serve your guests and food is left over on the plate?

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 4:17 pm
So nu what do you do in that case Motek 8). Anyways with family we all share the same germs so I think there is a diffrerence no?

Last edited by Tefila on Mon, May 23 2005, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rivkie81

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 4:18 pm
My husband always says, your stomach is not a garbage can. It's better that you throw it out if it won't get eaten. You don't have to get sick just so it doesn't go to waste.

Motek

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 4:19 pm
you know ... throw it out!

which is why, I like to tell my hostess and I like to ask my guests - how much to serve, so it doesn't get wasted

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 4:25 pm
But Rivkied why throw it out maybe your neighbor has a pet or you have birds. Ok another example your fridge is full and you decided it's time to check the contents and find a couple of salad bags and fruit that your family is not hot on, which are not out dated yet. So what would you do with that especially, if it is still in a closed package

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 4:31 pm
Motek, that is what serving platters are for. Wink My mother used to always tell us as kids. Your eyes are bigger then your stomache. Better take a smaller first portion and take seconds then to heap your plate and have food go to waste. N/o ever went hungry and the food doesn't dissappear even after everyone has firsts and seconds. If we would take too much and couldn't finish it we had it wrapped up for the next day.

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 4:36 pm
Quote:
If we would take too much and couldn't finish it we had it wrapped up for the next day.

With family one can do that but with guests Confused

Ok so here's what I could do w/h salad bags donate it to the local shuls kitchen, to the schools kitchen, or farm it off on our cleaning lady or gardener but not throw it out.

Ok so how about clothes now?

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 5:08 pm
I was talking about supper -family only. About Shabbos - serving platters. If I had food that was good but not getting eatten, first try and be creative and see if you can make s/t new out of it that others will eat. If it for sure won't go then I would give it to a family that I know that can use it or give it to bachurim that are in a dorm.

yehudis

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 6:18 pm
I always have a hard time throwing things out. It's a family joke -- if we have some food left over and nobody wants it, my husband says, "Let's just leave it in the fridge until it turns green and then throw it out."

And anything that's not food -- forget it. That's why we have too much stuff for our apartment. And most of it I didn't buy myself. But what do you do with a gift that takes up space and is not really necessary?

miriam

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 6:24 pm
With clothing, I think people keep circulating it until it's falling apart. I love getting bags of handme down clothing from friends.

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 6:30 pm
Pass it on until it can't be worn anymore. Ripped or worn out clothing can be used as shmates. Example: old undershirts can be used for polishing shoes.

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 8:50 pm
You know with clothes, furniture one can:

a) Give to charity even cancer ones take it. I've done that
b)Farm it out to a neighbor or friend, even cleaning lady. Noone wants it What c) Sell it on ebay or at a consighnment store. Done that and made some money Tongue Out d) keep as dress up costumes or shmates. Done that and regretted it
But why oh why do we need to throw it out Confused

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 11:59 pm
There was a truck where I live before Pesach to take shaimos. I was thinking that they should have another truck to take "old" clothes and another truck to take the food that people might dispose of before Pesach (although I don't know where they could give all of the half-done bottles of ketchup, etc.)
I once had some clothes I wanted to get rid of and couldn't find anyone to give it to or an organization to pick it up. The rav told me I could throw it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics