Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why do you care about how other parents dress?
  Previous  1  2  3  11  12  13

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 11:45 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
Which approach? The approach that says that you are allowed to make school rules and not accept people to your school if they don't follow them?

no the one where you call people names like bummy and slutty and whatever because you judge them by how they dress.

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 7:36 am
Barbara wrote:
SLUT (dictionary.com)
noun
an immoral or dissolute woman; harlot.
Obsolete . a dirty, slovenly woman.

MERRIAM WEBSTER

chiefly British : a slovenly woman
a : a promiscuous woman; especially : harlot

Synonyms
bimbo [slang], chippie (also chippy), doxy (also doxie), fancy woman, hoochie [slang], hussy, Jezebel, minx, quean, floozy, tramp, trollop, wench, wh***

As the word was being used by a woman in Brooklyn, in my OP, I will assume she meant the US definition -- that the woman was a 'ho.

Honestly, if someone walked up to you and said, "you look like a slut," would you really think they meant that you were dressed sloppily?

Why did you deliberately distort things like the definitions? It is almost like you can't help yourself. It is dishonest.

No Barbara they mean they are dressed in a s-xually provocative way as I mentioned in my post that you quoted. I never said they were slovenly. I included the WHOLE definition because it is the intellectual honest thing to do.

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 8:31 am
Squishy wrote:
Why did you deliberately distort things like the definitions? It is almost like you can't help yourself. It is dishonest.

No Barbara they mean they are dressed in a s-xually provocative way as I mentioned in my post that you quoted. I never said they were slovenly. I included the WHOLE definition because it is the intellectual honest thing to do.

Nowhere in the definition that you quoted does it say that a slut is someone who dresses in a s-xually provocative way.

D
Quote:
efinition of SLUT
chiefly British : a slovenly woman
a : a promiscuous woman; especially : harlot
b : a saucy girl : minx
— slut·tish adjective
— slut·tish·ly adverb
— slut·tish·ness noun
— slut·ty adjective
See slut defined for English-language learners »
Examples of SLUT

<had>

Another source:

Quote:
slut
[sluht] Show IPA
noun
an immoral or dissolute woman; harlot.
Obsolete . a dirty, slovenly woman.
Origin:
1375–1425; late Middle English slutte; compare dial. slut mud, Norwegian (dial.) slutr sleet, impure liquid

Word story
Slut first appeared in the written language in 1402, according to the Oxford English Dictionary , that great repository of language information. At that time, slut meant roughly what one sense of slattern means today: a slovenly, untidy woman or girl. It also apparently meant “kitchen maid” (”She is a cheerful slut who keeps the pots scrubbed and the fires hot.”). By the end of the 15th century the sense “a woman given to immoral or improper conduct” had come into use, and it is the only meaning in use today. Interestingly, the same second meaning, a promiscuous woman, developed for the term slattern.

"Only meaning in use today." And everyone knows it. When you call someone a slut, you're not saying that she's wearing her skirt a tiny bit too short. You're calling her a wh***. And I'll stick to me guns here. It is absolutely disgusting that frum women freely use that term to refer to other frum women. And I have never -- ever ever ever -- seen a Chassidish woman dressed in anything that even approximated looking like a slut.

But what do I care. Feel free. Call women in your community "sluts." I'll defend them.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:12 pm
WOW

OBnursemom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:14 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
WOW

You resurrected a 6 year old thread and all you have to say is WOW? LOL

PeanutMama

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:17 pm
🙈 I have no words

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:40 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
🙈 I have no words

If you need to, snip some salient posts and start a spinoff.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:39 pm
Sorry...I should’ve said “anybody want more popcorn” lol but 🙈😳
Page 13 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  11  12  13 Recent Topics