Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Help! My husband cooks too much!
1  2  3  Next

Would you let your husband do this?
Not a chance  
 33%  [ 2 ]
No way!  
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:00 pm
My husband loves to cook. He recently started cleaning too.

But, he refuses to use my womanly pots, and will only cook in cast iron pans or dutch ovens.

Also, he puts in way too much salt and too many spices.

Also, everything he cooks takes hours to make.

Also, I'm the woman of the house. Shouldn't I be in charge of the kitchen? I don't do his work for him. Why should he be allowed into my territory and start cooking?

We're newlywed, and I don't want him to think he can just saunter into my personal kitchen and start taking over all of my roles.

incognito

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:04 pm
I hear you, but be careful. I know of a couple that they got married and he went into kitchen to cook and she said no, he got really mad and they are divorced today ( yes I have no idea what else went on in that marriage. )

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:08 pm
I'm not sure which post is funnier. The OP or the one following it...

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:08 pm
Seriously?

I love it when DH cooks! It's a nice break for me and he enjoys it, so why not?

If you don't like the way he seasons, then casually mention it in such a way that he won't get insulted. My DH loves spicy food (as in hot), but I can't tolerate it so he tones it down for me.

You mentioned that you are newlyweds, so it might not be such a big deal now, but you will really appreciate his ability to cook when you are pregnant or postpartum or sick or exhausted.

red sea

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:23 pm
Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Pretend you love it, you will thank yourself later.

Maybe suggest a schedule where you take turns cooking so you get to cook too. If you like it less salty just ask, he can add more salt to his own portion after.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:26 pm
Cast iron pots are great.

Husbands who cook are great.

There's no reason that any one partner in a relationship should have a particular role; its up to the couple.

If he uses too much salt, ask him to use less. And work out a cooking schedule. Or send him over to my place and let him cook for us.

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:27 pm
My first reaction to your thread title was: "Your husband cooks too much? I'll take the leftovers!!!"

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:45 pm
You must not be thinking straight. A MAN WHO COOKS IS A GIFT!
My husband made me dinner on our second date, on one burner in his basement student apartment. I knew then that he was a good guy who would share in the cooking.

of our kids, my SON is the better cook. and he is very nearly as good as me, and I am a caterer.

my son is also great at laundry and my husband does his own laundry, by his own choice!

its OUR house, its OUR marriage and its OUR kitchen

oh, but only HE makes FANCY AND WEDDING CAKES. not me, no way, no how.

AND he has a day job that supports us all. if he wants to cook up a storm when he comes home, GREAT!

gold21

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:03 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
I'm not sure which post is funnier. The OP or the one following it...

LOL, true! :-)

sky

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:17 pm
Is the poll a joke?

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:47 pm

L25

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:59 pm
Op- I think I might understand you. my husband knows how to cook. and clean. and fix things etc. He's just all around more geshikt then I am and I'm the SAHM! When we were newlywed it bothered me more, in an insecure way- like he's better at doing what I'm supposed to be doing! With time I've learned that we cook differently- I don't always like what he makes. It sounds like you've figured that out already Smile I do take advantage of when he's home to make pancakes and stuff because he's great at doing all that flipping stuff while I've still not really figured it out and don't have the patience to stand there and flip. Are there things that he makes that you do like? Things that are a potchke that he would be more then happy to make and you to eat Smile ?

If you really don't like his food-if he's not offended you can eat different food. You might be surprised that he'll be fine with that as long as you let him cook- don't take that away from hims.

Yes I know a newly wed couple like that- she likes pasta and cheese, he likes chicken- he knows how to cook so they just each make their own dinner doesn't seem to affect their shalom bayis at all. Sometimes these things affect your shalom bayis only if you make them in to "issues" otherwise there's no problem.

black and white

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 9:08 pm
I may be too tired
Is this thread for real? I can't figure out if you are mocking or not op

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:56 pm
Maybe he wants to trade recipes with my dh? He is a great cook.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:55 am
Sorry - I just totally redid my post here

I just reread this post - I see it's in the miscellaneous section. If this isn't a joke (which the poll points to - it definitely belongs in the SB section cause we're going to see OP there soon - see the parts I bolded

ectomorph wrote:
My husband loves to cook. He recently started cleaning too.

But, he refuses to use my womanly pots, and will only cook in cast iron pans or dutch ovens.

Also, I'm the woman of the house. Shouldn't I be in charge of the kitchen? I don't do his work for him. Why should he be allowed into my territory and start cooking?

We're newlywed, and I don't want him to think he can just saunter into my personal kitchen and start taking over all of my roles.

Read it over - This is definitely a joke (especially with the poll) - sorry I fell for it at first

Last edited by Sanguine on Wed, Jan 08 2014, 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total

willow

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 4:53 am
I don't care if he cooks I actually like it. I just hate how long it takes for him to clean up

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 5:12 am
My pots don't have gender.

I'm thinking about naming them now, after reading about people naming their sheital.

Tenach names, or?

sped

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 5:29 am
Frumdoc wrote:
My pots don't have gender.

I'm thinking about naming them now, after reading about people naming their sheital.

Tenach names, or?

Definitely Tanach. Just trying to come up with food related ones. Maybe try nezid adashim for one?

grace413

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 5:32 am
My pots have genders. Some are milchig and some are fleishig.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:45 am
It has happened that I worked and he didn't. So why can"t he cook?

The bathroom is not my bathroom. Neither is the kitch.

Now if he cooks BADLY that's something else. Can you buy him books, suggest he goes to a workshop (with a guy so he feels understood lol), or something?

If you tell him it's not his role, don't be surprised he stops helping at all
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics