Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Quick and easy Shabbos desserts?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

etky

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 12:39 am
granolamom wrote:
I've never met anyone else who liked those Joyva jell rings! my family thinks I'm crazy for liking them, whenever they see any at a school party or shul kiddush they bring some home for me. I just may have to try this dessert, thanks Smile

My gosh, I haven't thought of those in at least 30 years. The'yre still around? I used to hate them as a kid. Second only to Good and Plenty.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:14 am
goodmorning wrote:
What is the ratio of strawberries to concentrate?

1bag of bodek frozen strawberries to one can of apple juice concentrate. If you don't have those available, eyeball it, starting with less concentrate and adding more as needed.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 7:01 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
1bag of bodek frozen strawberries to one can of apple juice concentrate. If you don't have those available, eyeball it, starting with less concentrate and adding more as needed.

Ever tried with other fruit?

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 7:29 am
Pineapple wrote:
Ever tried with other fruit?

Yes, I have done a mix of strawberries and frozen pineapple chunks with either pineapple chunks or mango juice. Also strawberries and mangoes in mango juice. My mom tried a mix of strawberries and blueberries with orange juice concentrate and they loved it. It's a pretty versatile recipe. Smile

ETA: With mango and pineapple juices, I froze the juice instead of using concentrate and then tasted it - if it needed, I added a little sugar.

SJcookie

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 8:05 am
Store bought cake embarrassed

Pineapple

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 8:09 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
Yes, I have done a mix of strawberries and frozen pineapple chunks with either pineapple chunks or mango juice. Also strawberries and mangoes in mango juice. My mom tried a mix of strawberries and blueberries with orange juice concentrate and they loved it. It's a pretty versatile recipe. Smile

ETA: With mango and pineapple juices, I froze the juice instead of using concentrate and then tasted it - if it needed, I added a little sugar.

Do u use strawberries for taste or texture?

Kitten

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 11:15 am
A fancy fruit salad.

suzyq

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 1:07 pm
I can't believe no one mentioned my favorite - Duncan Hines! The brownies are awesome and the cakes are very yummy also. Plus, it's all made with oil and no margarine (I never use margarine - I always substitute oil and rarely have problems).

If it seems too basic, you can always fancy it up a bit. My guests LOVE my mint brownies - I just add a little mint extract and white chocolate chips to the brownie mix. I'll also add peanut butter or other things (check out the duncan hines website - they have lots of recipes). For cake, I usually add a pudding mix to make it a bit denser and you can make a lot of different combos - sometimes I'll do a cinnamon cake (mix cake mix, pour half in pan, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then repeat both steps), or I'll just make a cake and frost it with funfetti frosting.

No reason to make things complicated - it literally takes five minutes and it's into the oven.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 1:45 pm
Pineapple wrote:
Do u use strawberries for taste or texture?

Both. Most fruit has similar texture when you're blending it frozen. The original recipe, though IS for strawberry sorbet...taste Smile

sarahd

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:03 pm
groisamomma wrote:
You poor things--no jelly rings???

Please let me know when your birthdays are and where to mail them...I can't imagine life without jelly rings LOL

Easy for you to laugh. You haven't been suffering from jelly-ring withdrawal for the past decade or more. Banging head Rolling Laughter

mom4many

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 1:34 pm
lovemytwins wrote:
I posted this on a different thread. Really easy and fast.

I have this cherry cobbler recipe that for some reason is such a huge hit. It's a simple recipe and really easy to make, I think because the crumble part isn't too sweet it balances out nicely. In the hundreds of times I've made it, I've gotten hundreds of compliments.

If you want to change it up or need a larger amount double the crumble recipe and add a second can of fruit. Bake it in a 9x13. I've often made cherry/blueberry. It's pretty much foolproof too.

Cherry Cobbler

• 2 cups flour
• ¾ cups sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
• ½ cup of oil
• 1 egg

• 1 can cherry pie filling

Mix together all ingredients except cherry pie filling to make a crumble. Grease a pirex dish (8 or 9 inch) and pour half of crumble into the dish. Pat down the crumble to evenly distribute along the bottom of the dish. Pour the cherry pie filling on top of the crumble. Pour the remaining crumble on top of the filling to cover. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes – 1 hour.

Thanks so much for sharing! I've been looking for a crumble without marg for ages, tried a few & didn't like the results. I made this cobbler this Fri in literally 5 min (no cleanup either!) with blueberry pie filling and we polished it off!

ice coffee

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 2:43 pm
Melt bag of chocolate chips in microwave or double boiler. Pour it over a bag of pretzels, mix it all up and spread into a pan. Refrigerate. Break into chunks.
We love this dessert.

anotherima

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 9:50 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I make ChocolateTown Pie. It's a recipe adapted from a Hershey Cookbook. The recipe says to put it into an unbaked pie crust but I find that a graham cracker crust works just as well, if not better. The margarine can be replaced with oil and tastes amazing! I sometimes add in peanut butter or other kinds of chips to make it interesting, but it's just as good as is.

Chocolatetown Pie (adapted from The Hershey Cookbook):
1 graham cracker crust
½ cup oil or margarine
2 eggs beaten
2 tsp. vanilla or 2 Tbsp. bourbon
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour (can also use whole wheat)
1 cup semi-sweet choc. chips
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Cream oil or margarine, sugar and eggs, add other ingredients and mix well. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until golden. Let cool for an hour before serving.

Another easy dessert is Duncan Heinz Brownies, if you are in America. Anyone who can read and crack an egg can make them. You can serve with a scoop of Parve Ice Cream if you wish!

I made this pie for Shabbos and there is none left. DELISH!

m+m

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 10:21 pm
Graham Cracker crust
1.5 un-whipped whips (yes, unwhipped!)
1 row of crushed Oreo type cookies

combine whip and oreo pieces and pour in crust. Freeze and enjoy!

m+m

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 10:23 pm
Esti's Mom wrote:
Graham Cracker crust

Sorry OP just read the part about no whip. So I guess this wont work for you. This is my go to dessert for anyone else here that would like to try it.

tigerwife

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 10:26 pm
Adding another easy dessert:

Peel an apple and cut it in half.
Remove the core.
Dip into a cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Cover with puff pastry.
Bake for around half an hour (depending on how many apples you bake, more or less).
Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.

Delicious and wholesome!

tigerwife

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 10:31 pm
Esti's Mom wrote:
Graham Cracker crust

Haha that was the first dessert I ever made! So good and easy, and generally guest-friendly.

I actually used only one whip, poured it into a bag with the Oreo pieces and shook the bag until it was partially 'whipped', I guess? This way one whip filled the pie crust.

shanie5

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 10:49 pm
sarahd wrote:
Easy for you to laugh. You haven't been suffering from jelly-ring withdrawal for the past decade or more. Banging head Rolling Laughter

We have a discount store near us. I just bought 2 boxes of jelly rings for $1. They had loads of them. My kids think I am crazy for liking them!

granolamom

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 12:11 pm
sarahd wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Chocolat.....TZ1VO

Sanguine

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 12:44 pm
Friday night we had jello with chocolate chips. We haven't made it in long time - still takes like jell-rings. Make sure to use raspberry jello
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics