Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Fast and easy way to toilet train
1  2  3  Next

How long did it take you to toilet train your toddler during the day?
1 week and under  
 41%  [ 7 ]
2 weeks  
 11%  [ 2 ]
3 weeks and up  
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

proudmom

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 3:02 pm
What is the easiest and fastest way to toilet train a toddler?

michal

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 4:01 pm
When it's the right time, when they're ready and interested.Boys are harder. My last was 3 1/2yrs but he's the baby !

chavamom

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 4:09 pm
I have found if you wait until they are ready and motivated instead of trying to induce them to use the potty b/c you are ready for them to be out of diapers, they toilet learn very, very quickly. I actively tried to 'train' my oldest b/c he couldn't start 'gan' in diapers and it was a disaster. My others I said, forget it - when they are ready, they are ready and they all learned to use the toilet with very, very few accidents and almost immediately started staying dry during the night too. My oldest wet the bed until he was 6! I have friends who report the same experience, so I don't think it was a coincidence.

proudmom

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 4:09 pm
The problem is my 2 1/2 year old is going to school this coming year and he has to be toilet trained and if he isnt going to be toilet trained they are not going to change his diaper. They would just let him sit in it a whole day. I dont want my child to go through that.

chavamom

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 4:10 pm
See my above post - btdt! I would say keep him home until he is ready, even if he might have to stay home for the first bit of the year.

proudmom

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 4:12 pm
what is brdt? and if I do keep him home the first half then I will lose my place in the class. I dont want that. I can not keep him home with me he will be so bored. I am already keeping him home for the summer and that will be tough on me. I want to keep him home to toilet train him.

chavamom

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 4:15 pm
btdt= been there, done that Wink

Is there no other option? A playgroup or something? The new school year is a ways away and going to school might provide the impetus for him to learn to use the toilet. If the child is not motivated it can really be an exercise in frustration for both of you, not to mention that they can wind up having 'accidents' for a far longer period of time than they would have if you follow their time table.

You can try introducing the idea of the toilet and follow his lead. Maybe he'll be interested.

proudmom

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 4:18 pm
so you are trying to say that I should keep him home until he is potty trained?

stem

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 4:21 pm
The method that worked for us is let the kid wear nothing or just underwear for a day or two, or longer. Summer is the best time to toilet train for this reason, and also because in the winter there are usually added layers of clothing that get in the way of quick runs to the bathroom.

If the child refuses to cooperate, you have to back away and not bring it up again for a LONG time, otherwise it becomes a power struggle and the kid usually wins in these cases Smile

Also, I think the best method is to put them in underwear right away. Pullups feel too much like diapers and will not motivate them to remember to go to the bathroom.

IndyMom

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 6:24 pm
I agree with Stem - pullups are a waste of money. They feel like diapers - what is the point. I put my son in underwear- he had a few accidents, and then figured it out. I just trained him less then a month ago and he has pretty much got it. I ask him still every couple hours if he has to go - especially if he is very distracted with playing - but he hasnt had an accident in weeks. I am very proud of him Smile. he just turned 3 a month before we trained him.

chavamom

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 7:26 pm
Stem said it better than me - you want to avoid a power struggle. Ultimately, you can't make a child control their bladder or bowels. It is something they have to do themselves. You can provide the opportunity and try to motivate them, but if it isn't working, drop it and try again later. The situations of 'they MUST be trained by x date' can wind up disasterous b/c their is serious potential for a power struggle... If push comes to shove, yes, leave him home.

curlyhead

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 3:40 am
my son is was 2 in january. He was intrested so I tried to train him. teh 1st day and a hald in underware he was dry but then he had alot of accedients so I think I'll wait another few months.
He never did #2 yet? Is that normally later? How do you do that?

Pearl

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 4:40 am
Quote:
[quote="proudmom"]The problem is my 2 1/2 year old is going to school this coming year and he has to be toilet trained and if he isnt going to be toilet trained they are not going to change his diaper. They would just let him sit in it a whole day. I dont want my child to go through that.[/quote
]

although I can understand their reasoning here, I find it always very annoying when I hear this Exploding anger
"forcing" potty training be4 a child is ready for it, can backfire!
my first (girl) potty trained herself while I was recovering from giving birth...she just turned 2 and she was totally into it, hardly went on potty, but went straight for toilet.
second one (girl) couldn't be bothered, and was completely potty trained (day+night+nr 1+nr 2) when she already turned 4!
they really can't be forced!
but, summer time is the best time to give it a serious try! and I agree with stem - best is to go to underwear right away.

good luck proud, I really hope it will work out for you, iyh!

Motek

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 11:23 am
what if a 4 year old or older is "not ready" or interested?

these two threads make me wonder about the "readiness" aspect involved:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....cb8ea

chavamom

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 11:53 am
Motek wrote:
what if a 4 year old or older is "not ready" or interested?

these two threads make me wonder about the "readiness" aspect involved:

I didn't read the whole thread, but get the gyst.

Bottom line, you can provide opportunity, but ultimately the child has to be in control of his/her own bladder and bowels. This is not something you can do for them or MAKE them do. If you force the issue, you are lible to wind up with a power struggle. Read the recent thread on encopresis. While power struggles over potty training are not the only cause of this problem, it is a common one. As is refusal to have a bowel movement on the toilet and they make in their pants when they can't hold it any longer. Or wetting continually.

Wanting to use the toilet is one of those things that will come to all at some point b/c children naturally want to disassociate from babyhood and be like friends/peers/grownup. No one (without physical disabilities) goes to the chuppah in diapers.

roza

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 11:59 am
<<<Bottom line, you can provide opportunity>>

we provide such opportunity at 2 and it worked with all the children. you should know that in Russia they used to start putting a child on the potty as soon as they learn to sit which at 6 mon. (that's how I was trained) and by 1 year the child is trained. yes, right there were no dipers then. this whole start train-when-the - child- is ready business is a diper business shtik.

gryp

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 12:02 pm
Quote:
you should know that in Russia they used to start putting a child on the potty as soon as they learn to sit which at 6 mon. (that's how I was trained) and by 1 year the child is trained

oh boy do I know this! I have been told this so many times! Very Happy

chavamom

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 12:11 pm
I don't know about 'diaper business shtick'. In Israel they do very young potty training also in some sectors and I was always amazed at the amount of kids 'totally trained' that had lots of accidents. You would also hear stories from moms about how their child at a certain age would rebel and start having a potty refusal. Often the 'solution' to all of this is lots of punishment. My personal opinion is not to make it a battle, save yourself a lot of laundry and wait until they are ready.

"Ready" doesn't mean they go out and buy their own potty chair and say 'mom, let's get rid of the diapers'. If you introduce the idea and they are game, willing to sit on the potty and try to make - great! 'interest'. If they are resistant to sitting on it, refuse to go when you suggest - try again in a month or so.

My point was that artificial deadlines can create a lot of stress and resistance. Better to work on their time table and at their pace.

Sunshine

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 1:40 pm
[quote="roza]you should know that in Russia they used to start putting a child on the potty as soon as they learn to sit which at 6 mon. (that's how I was trained) and by 1 year the child is trained. [/quote]

I don't see how this is possible. How can a 12 month old physically have control over their body to be able to be trained? Maybe it was children who are almost 2. At 12 months a good percentage of children can't even walk. How do they control when they have to go if they can't even walk!?

Tefila

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 1:43 pm
Maybe
A) they believed in use of force in Russia
or
B) There kids are more developed then here What
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training