Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What are great careers for girls graduating HS?
Previous  1  2  3

wispalover

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 3:50 pm
nursingstudent wrote:
Nursing is a great career, schooling isn't so bad someone can get their associates rn then work while finishing a bachelor's and soo many doff fields to working and for someone who wants flexible schedule there is homecare nursing, its always tough to find a job in the beginning bc a lot of employers want experience but there is always something to be found.

My SIL graduated from NYU nursing school as a RN in February 2013. She has a license in both NY and NJ. She has been to no less than 50 interviews and STILL cannot find work. Unless your DD is willing to work in a nursing home/ home care for experience (or until a hospital job comes up, maybe even in another state) the market is completely flooded with nurses.

chavamom

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 4:04 pm
RN is great "out of town". NY - good luck getting that first job. Someone who wants to live elsewhere for experience and then move back to NY would be set.

chavamom

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 4:06 pm
Audiology program - friend's daughter is in a program and newly married. Should she get pregnant and deliver during any time except during August? She would have to drop out of the program for a year and restart the next year with the next year's class. The classes are very small and follow a very ordered agenda where you can't miss a week or a month or even a semester. Something to really keep in mind.

Shuly

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 5:11 pm
Sonography

eschaya

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:21 pm
I second nursing if.... she will live oot and if she has an aptitude and appreciation for it. There is so much flexibility and room for advancement (np, midwife, anesthestist, cns, management).
I recently looked into pathology assistant; it has sjort schooling and pays wrll, but there are very few programs so you have to research if there is one in your area.
Sonography and radiology tech require very little schoolong, though tey dont pay as well.
If she is technical and legal minded as well, patent agents draft patents and make decent money without having to go to law school, though it does entail significant schooing.
Of course, the most important aspect is what interests yoyr daughter.

chatouli

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:55 pm
Simchas Purim wrote:
Why not? She might be really good at it.

re my comment "not law"

Because OP said, "She is willing to work hard but would like to go to school for something that has great earning potential and wont be flooded in a few years when shes looking for a job.

She also would like to do something that doesn't take forever to finish..."

Law schools and the legal profession are certainly flooded. The earning potential isn't what it used to be. It does take forever to finish. She would have to attend a four year college and then a three year law school. Then there's two more months of studying for the bar. I was 24 when I graduated and 25 when I began my career. I was younger than almost all my colleagues. The typical frum woman is married with one or two kids by that age (lucky for me, I am not typical Smile). Unless she wants to live off loans or marries someone with a great income, she's losing several years where she could be earning money.

Oh, and law school ain't cheap.

And the hours tend to be very tough. It can be very tough to fit family life into a good legal career (certainly not impossible -just tough, especially if it is a high paying job).

It is a great career otherwise though Smile

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 5:37 pm
June wrote:
kiwi strawberry, are you by any chance a working courter reporter?

court reporting is a really great career - if you finish. I strongly recommend that a girl becoming a court reporter should push off dating until she completes her schooling.

I am not a working court reporter, and I agree with you 100%. If a girl starts right out of high school she can be finished by the time she's 20. And start dating then.

cbg

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 6:12 pm
No one here mentioned COPE Junior Accounting course.
Look into it. It's a short course (less than 6 months), and COPE does job placement.
Also, you can continue another 2 years for CPA, while you work.
My dd (19)is doing this now and she loves it. She started in September and is graduating at the end of February.
From what I understand, you don't need to be great at math, it's more organizational skills, since computers do the calculating now a days.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 6:28 pm
my husband recommended me posting my recommendation for engineering jobs again Smile He has a degree from one-it's basically a bachelors but needing to repeat classes is not uncommon- aka not a quickie thing but not something you need a bachelors and then a masters etc... he said it's really hard but girls can practically go for free if not free in many places since it is such a male dominated field. The schooling is tough, really tough but if she's ok with that she can finish schooling in a decent amount of time. Even if she doesn't get a job in engineering people are consider engineers as smart and want to hire them. My husband has a decent paying job in computers and he's not so old. His degree is in computer engineering and while he's doing more troubleshooting, programming stuff he still got the job. His job is also basically a 9-5 job with benefits. He extremely rarely has to do any work over the weekends. He gets to spend plenty of time with us, his family Smile

anonymous- due to personal information

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:50 am
eschaya wrote:
I second nursing if.... she will live oot and if she has an aptitude and appreciation for it. There is so much flexibility and room for advancement (np, midwife, anesthestist, cns, management).
I recently looked into pathology assistant; it has sjort schooling and pays wrll, but there are very few programs so you have to research if there is one in your area.
Sonography and radiology tech require very little schoolong, though tey dont pay as well.
If she is technical and legal minded as well, patent agents draft patents and make decent money without having to go to law school, though it does entail significant schooing.
Of course, the most important aspect is what interests yoyr daughter.

A patent agent is a great career. It pays well, is flexible, and you can work from home. It only requires a bachelor in most science and engineering fields. If you want to work in the life science area, you may need at least a masters to get hired.

icebreaker

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:51 am
Anything STEM, if she has a liking for that field.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
Wow! Are there really that many frum girls/women who are lawyers? I wasnt aware of that. AFAIK, there is a need for frum female lawyers especially when it comes to family law.

I'm one. There are some frum female lawyers. The problem with most law jobs are the hours. There are more flexible law jobs (government, etc) but they don't pay as well. It may not be worth it you have a lot of student loans.

Beingreal

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:08 pm
My sister does ultrasound and loves it! Why not that?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:37 pm
I noticed no recommendations for dietitians or social workers. As a dietitian who works with a social worker (in very close quarters), we concur. We both have masters degrees and the pay is peanuts 🥜. I love what I do, my patients and coworkers, and have great flexibility, but the pay is pitiful.
BTW- I make the industry standard. Yes, a person can go private and work for themselves, but insurance reimbursement is terrible-if it exists at all, and it is typically hard to fill sufficient consecutive appointments during standard business hours.

Good luck. I too have a HS Senior DD. She is determined to make Aliya. Interested in all ideas.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:53 pm
This thread is over 5 years old. The OP's daughter is probably out of college and working.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:12 pm
So important to do what you love. I got a masters in Ed and special ed. Ended up going back to school for another degree in counseling. Now I’m a therapist. My husband also just went for a career change and is now in medical field. There’s a new website [name removed] that I use with my clients to help them navigate their career journey. Hope it can help.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children