Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Paris (France) Hechsherim

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 3:40 pm
Dear Ladies,
iy´´H ds and I will be staying in Paris for a couple of days (19th arrodisement). I have found this site listing many many kosher shops, takeaways and restaurants.

http://www.kosherinfrance.com/.....ubmit

However I dont know which Hechsher to go by. We are realtively strict eg. we order glatt kosher (flesihig only from ashkenazi butchers we know or badaz yisroel and similar- however when in doubt, we will just not eat meat in Paris that would also be ok), chalav yisroel - basically mehadrin. I am a bit overwhelmed by the huge offer Smile

We will hopefully find a bakery and buy fresh fruit/veggis, but it would be really nice to go out for dinner or have at least one or two hot lunches during our stay (our hosts dont keep kosher, so I cannot cook there).

I am definitely going to ask our Rav before we leave, but maybe some more experienced Fancetravellers can give me a hint which restaurants or Hashgachas would fit us.

T H A N K Y O U !!!! Smile

THANK YOU!!!

ps: anon, because some friends with financial issues know my screenname, and I dont want them to read about the trip - I hope that makes sense

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:04 pm
Rabbi Rottenberg's hechsher is considered the best and most reliable, though there are only a handful of places under his supervision. Most places are under the hashgacha of the Paris Beit Din, about which you'll get different opinions: some will say avoid it completely, some say it's all fine, some only eat dairy from them but not meat.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:08 pm
there are some decent restaurants under Rav Rottenbergs hechsher, iirc.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:13 pm
Beth din may or not be glatt -generally not. Or definitely involves some non glatt cuts too, you have to ask what glatt they do.
Chabad is glatt, so is Rottenberg, so are a couple others.
All are chalav Israel except beth din can use non chalav israel items on the card too. You can definitely ask what is or isn't.

You cannot ask if the butcher is Ashkenazi, it probably won't be understood (I am ashkenazi and wa slike what? lol). But you can ask if it's glatt or beth Yossef. Ask a shaila if BY is ok for you.

And yes kah the choice is GRAND in parisian area (out of town... another story...).

If it's important to you, ask before settling down if someone speaks some english in the restaurant. I've had to translate for people LOL

I personally don't know a French person who wouldn't eat even just parve, or fish, or dairy (CY) in a beth din restaurant. Meat is a diff story. Some hold by the BD glatt and others not (or not ideally).

I wonder if the Indian restaurant Darjeeling isn't Rottenberg. Luv it.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:55 pm
Darjeeling is under Rav Rottenberg, and definitely worth checking out! Amazing Indian food that I still dream about.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 1:24 am
thank you for the wonderful responses. that definitly helped me A LOT! Smile
I never ate indian food- so maybe its worth a try Wink

mom in france

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 3:42 am
My kids love it when we take them to tibs in the 19th section ( a rare event when we go into paris) you can buy pizza sushi salads etc I also like the atmosphere there, not cheap pizza style place if u get what I mean, its restaurant style.
And I get to see jews walking in the street! Yes that is an amazing sight if u lived where I live.

mom in france

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 3:43 am
And I want to second the idea of darjeling. There used to be a fancier

mom in france

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 3:46 am
Sorry I cant figure out how to edit.
There used to be margoa a fancier place.what a pity it closed down. Who remembers them??

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 9:29 am
I remember!! and I also keep saying "bh so many Jews" when I go to such places (also where I live now, bh...). Maybe we're neighbours?? LOL

I don't think the Thai restaurant Baan Hai is glatt? anyway I also highly recommend it.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 10:34 am
darjeeling also deliver over a certain amount, we had them deliver to our hotel room. Smile

mom in france

Post Sat, Jan 25 2014, 4:37 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I remember!! and I also keep saying "bh so many Jews" when I go to such places (also where I live now, bh...). Maybe we're neighbours?? LOL

Probably, can you see me waving at you from my kitchen? Wink

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jan 25 2014, 4:43 pm
YES!! Wink

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 7:56 am
LADIES, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

We returned from an amazing trip and had the best food ever !!!

I fell in love with the bakery at rue d'hautoul - and was sooo impressed witht he food at darjeeling.

shkoyach for your recommendations, they were very very helpful!!!

Smile

mom in france

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 1:30 pm
Glad that u enjoyed it:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics