Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Flying with small dogs
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 12:07 am
Has anyone taken a small dog on an airplane? Did they go in cargo, or stay with you in the cabin? How long was the flight, and how did you manage? Was the change in air pressure horrible for your pet? Did you sedate it?

I just can't imagine putting my two little girls in the cargo section, even though it's supposed to be perfectly safe. They are so skittish and scared of strangers, I think they'd be terribly traumatized. Sad

hila

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 3:12 am
I am not a dog hater but I cant imagine a long flight with two dogs in the cabin ! Even with little kids in can be unbearable. Dogs yapping would be awful.

I think you can sedate them (ask your vet) and put them in the hold. It has been done - are you referring to your Aliyah ?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 4:36 am
hila wrote:
I am not a dog hater but I cant imagine a long flight with two dogs in the cabin ! Even with little kids in can be unbearable. Dogs yapping would be awful.

I think you can sedate them (ask your vet) and put them in the hold. It has been done - are you referring to your Aliyah ?

Just thinking ahead. Last night DD asked me how we would get the dogs to Israel.

They are not yappy dogs, they're actually really quiet, and when they're scared or nervous they get even more quiet. 90% of the time I sorta forget that they're here! I'm definitely going to ask my vet about sedation. I know that show dogs are sedated and shipped all over the world every day.

I'd like to minimize suffering for both dogs AND fellow passengers. Wink

amother

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 10:04 am
We recently flew cross-country and had a dog on our flight. My DH has a phobia of dogs and the dog sat behind us the entire flight. We were miserable. The dog was actually quite well-behaved but we were not able to relax the entire flight and both of us had to take off work the next day to catch up on the sleep we could not get on the flight. The dog owner was also pretty nasty and insisted that her dog have the same rights as all the other passengers.

Please don't bring your dogs on the flight. Find a dog-sitter.

From someone on the other side.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 10:12 am
Check with your vet and the airline. Also read up on which airlines have misrepresented cargo conditions and which have the best care. It's difficult but you're right--dogs are flown for long trips successfully. However, if I had the choice of traveling with my dogs on the plane , I'd do it in a second. I spent one flight to Israel being deliberately kicked by the adult behind me who was angry that I reclined my seat. Babies scream on planes. You pay your money and you take your chances. Airlines allow small dogs in cabins and other flyers can often ask to be reseated.
I'm anon only because I have dogs that I travel with and also gave told my story to friends.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 10:25 am
I once from from NYC to LA and had a dog next to me. I don't particularly like dogs and I wan't so thrilled with it next to me.... I kinda kept my legs in the aisle.... He kept peaking out and sniffing me...

amother

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 4:02 pm
Are you talking about a short flight, or the long aliyah flight?

Am I correct in thinking that you have a pug? You'll need to check with the airline ASAP, because brachycephalic breeds are handled differently although I don't recall the details. Also, there are restrictions on temperatures when you fly. Airlines will NOT allow pets in cargo if the temperature is above or below a certain limit at any destination, so make sure that you have a contingency plan for that. Again, talk with the airline ASAP. If it's for aliyah, NbN may be able to help you.

I took a five-hour, one-transfer flight with my parrot in a carrier under the seat. She was mercifully quiet the whole time. Smile My seatmates didn't even know she was there.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 4:06 pm
Are you moving to J'lem? Because I believe there is a halachic issue with having dogs in J'lem.

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 4:45 pm
I know someone who just brought over her dog from australia to europe. I think it travelled in the hold, she was already here.

bamamama

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 4:52 pm
My dog flew in cargo from Europe to the US a number of years ago. I think it's not pleasant for the dogs as the cargo hold isn't heated but for my large lab she was able to tolerate it. I would worry about a small dog being without water for so long (no guarantee the water you provide is going to not spill but maybe there are new ways around this nowadays).

I have read that dogs in the cabin is hard on people with allergies to dogs.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 5:14 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Was the change in air pressure horrible for your pet?

How would someone find out?

bluebird

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 6:24 pm
bamamama wrote:
I would worry about a small dog being without water for so long (no guarantee the water you provide is going to not spill but maybe there are new ways around this nowadays).

They make water bottles in large sizes for dogs and cats that are the same type as for hamsters and gerbils. If you get your pet used to them, they work really well. Some crates are even made with attachment points for them, or you can use wire to attach them. They won't spill, but are vulnerable to cracking. You could use both a bowl and a bottle to get redundancy.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 4:37 am
amother wrote:
We recently flew cross-country and had a dog on our flight. My DH has a phobia of dogs and the dog sat behind us the entire flight. We were miserable. The dog was actually quite well-behaved but we were not able to relax the entire flight and both of us had to take off work the next day to catch up on the sleep we could not get on the flight. The dog owner was also pretty nasty and insisted that her dog have the same rights as all the other passengers.

Please don't bring your dogs on the flight. Find a dog-sitter.

From someone on the other side.

I'm really sorry you were miserable! I would probably feel the exact same way if someone had a "nice, quiet, furry" pet tarantula! shock I am an extremely considerate person, and I would never put an animal's feeling above that of a human being.

I don't bring animals on holidays, I think that's nuts. I'm talking about an Aliyah flight.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 4:39 am
amother wrote:
Are you talking about a short flight, or the long aliyah flight?

Am I correct in thinking that you have a pug? You'll need to check with the airline ASAP, because brachycephalic breeds are handled differently although I don't recall the details. Also, there are restrictions on temperatures when you fly. Airlines will NOT allow pets in cargo if the temperature is above or below a certain limit at any destination, so make sure that you have a contingency plan for that. Again, talk with the airline ASAP. If it's for aliyah, NbN may be able to help you.

I took a five-hour, one-transfer flight with my parrot in a carrier under the seat. She was mercifully quiet the whole time. Smile My seatmates didn't even know she was there.

Aliyah, Nefesh b' Nefesh flight. They make allowances for dogs. There's a TON of paperwork to fill out, and very expensive international clearance fees. I just couldn't imagine leaving them behind, and DD would be heartbroken.

Alas, Miss Daisy Pug is no longer among the living. We now have two tiny rescue chihuahuas. Their combined weight is around 13 pounds. They are very sweet little things.

A quiet parrot? How on earth did you manage that? LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 4:43 am
amother wrote:
Are you moving to J'lem? Because I believe there is a halachic issue with having dogs in J'lem.

Moving to Tzfat. Lots of anglos there have dogs. These are strictly indoor dogs, so I wouldn't be walking them around anyone who could be frightened. They don't even know how to walk on a leash, because they are kennel rescues. I tried to teach them, but they just curl up into a little ball and play dead. Sad

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 4:46 am
bamamama wrote:
My dog flew in cargo from Europe to the US a number of years ago. I think it's not pleasant for the dogs as the cargo hold isn't heated but for my large lab she was able to tolerate it. I would worry about a small dog being without water for so long (no guarantee the water you provide is going to not spill but maybe there are new ways around this nowadays).

I have read that dogs in the cabin is hard on people with allergies to dogs.

Excellent point about the allergies. I'll be sure to bathe them right before we go, and give them a good brushing. (Short, flat coats are low allergen, anyway.)

naomi2

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:17 pm
kinda off topic but, YAY!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!
I gathered that you wanted to live in EY, so happy to hear that it's finally a reality!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you all the best of luck and, oh, I love tzfat! so serene, holy, and full of warm, giving people.

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:32 pm
Congratulations! Yay aliyah! Yay doggies!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:47 pm
Recently traveled back from a trip to Israel. We sat in the middle row of seats, my 12 year old ds, myself with 1 year old on my lap, my 7 year old dd, and another woman (it was a middle row with 4 seats). Dh and older dd sat behind us. As we are getting situated, and then food is being served, and the baby is shifting around, my 7 year old dd is nudging me to tell me that the lady at the end of the row "has a dog in her bag." You know, I was so busy and (literally) had my hands full with the served food and the baby, that I was kind of tuning her out, saying things like "oh how silly" or "sure, I bet you'd love that!" I didn't take her seriously, I actually hadn't known that it was even permitted.

Well, she did have a tiny dog in her bag who ended up spending the rest of the flight on dd's lap.... it was a dream come true for dd.... very quiet dog, didn't make a peep. We joked afterwards (although it was really true) that for most of the flight the tiny dog and the tiny 1 year old took up most of the room, all spread out across everybody's laps, while we all squooshed in to make them "comfortable"!

(Anon since I told this story to a bunch of people...)

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 11:18 pm
I didn't know they'd let you take them out of the carriers! That would make me feel better if I could hold them for a bit, just to comfort them and give them a little water.

I'll make sure to make arrangements so that I'm not seated with anyone who is allergic or phobic - or otherwise offended.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets