Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Where to spend the day in manhattan w a friend tomorrow

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:02 pm
I'm planning a trip to manhattan for tom with my friend. We are both sahm and have toddlers home. We arranged a sitter for the kids and want to have a fun kid free day in the city. This is a rare treat and I want to make the mosf of it! Any suggestions? We dont do movies etc.
tia

ROFL

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:15 pm
It is going to snow tommrow Check the weather forecast to make sure that things are not closed or that transportation will be available

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:35 pm
op here. I just checked the forecast. No snow tomorrow, it'll start snowing at midnight. Any suggestions??

ROFL

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:40 pm
Times Square. Have lots of fun stores l. Ice skating in Rockefeller center

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:49 pm
thank you. anyone else?

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:56 pm
FAO Schwartz, but I guess that's more kid oriented. A pottery place?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 11:37 pm
a pottery place sounds nice! Could u list some places? what is the price of such places? don't want to spend a fortune

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 12:10 am
This place is called make meaning and they have a few locations in Manhattan and you can also do other things there besides pottery apparently:

http://www.makemeaning.com/act.....amics

What's good about it is that you can take home what you make that day; most pottery places have to hold onto it for a week before it's ready. On the website it says it starts at $10.

Would you go to a museum? Dave and busters?

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 12:12 am
Ice skating. I've always loved that. It's so invigorating and can be a great break and a great way to enjoy a day with a friend. It's a blast! Smile

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 12:17 am
Personally, I would go to a museum and out to eat.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 2:14 am
I like physical activity, so I'd go for ice skating. Or a climbing wall (although I am terrible at that).

Second choice: A museum. Find a free lecture at one of the museums and learn about something new. There's one at the Guggenheim at 11am every Tuesday. And there are about 15 every day at he Metropolitan.

Or go to one of the smaller, more focused museums (Frick Collection, The Cloisters, etc.).

Then out to lunch.

etky

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 2:57 am
It really depends on what your interests are. If you like history I would recommend the Tenement Museum on Orchard Street (you have to book a tour online in advance) or the newly reopened Ellis Island museum. The Eldridge Street Synagogue has been restored and you can visit there too. They have guided tours. Uptown, the Museum of the City of New York is a nice low key museum for both art and history lovers. Weather permitting you can take a stroll through Central Park which is just across the Avenue.

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 11:44 am
So what'r you doing? Smile

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 12:00 pm
It's probably too late for the OP, but if anyone ever comes across this thread, maybe check out this place:

http://www.chocolateworksnyc.com/index.php

My parents went to a sheva brachos there and had such a blast they went back with the grandkids for a workshop.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:33 pm
op here. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We ended up at the make meaning pottery place (thank you kiwistrawberry!) And had fun creating a glass pendant. We also stopped for coffee at starbucks. It was a short outing since we have kids in preschool and needed to be back home on time for them. But it sure was nice to air out. I hope to take my kids to Make Meaning one day.

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:14 pm
So glad!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics