Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Att. anyone who runs a medical office.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 2:39 pm
I am starting a new job and have never done this type of job before.
I am going to be an office manager for a doctor. He has not had anyone to manage his office and it is a mess. He would like me to organize it get his filing all in order follow up on calls and make appointments. Sounds easy but I have never done this type of work before and really want this job.
My question is any secrets as to how to juggle the scheduling and what is the best way to get the filing in order.
he doesnt take insurance so I dont have to deal with that.
Also what is the going rate for an entry level person?
Any help will be appreciated as I need this job as my husband was just fired from his job.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 4:39 pm
When I worked in a pediatricians office the patient files were filed alphabetically by last name. All results from tests... Filed in their folders. Today a lot of doctors are computerized and files are scanned and filed in. Also he might have a program for entering peoples appointments or you might have to get an appointment book and do it manually.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 4:55 pm
op, I have never done this kind of work before. I'll give you some advice from the patient's pov. don't triple-book appointments. find out how long an average appointment lasts from the doctor. ask if he has a policy that allows the office to charge a patient who cancels last-minute. I have been to doctors who triple book each time slot (I got a peek at the appointment book). this results in a three-hour wait in his office. patients don't stick to a doctor who has a long wait.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 6:15 pm
OP here

Thanks for both of your in puts.

Nothing to worry about with overbooking because he doesnt want to see more than 4-5 patients a day

Anyone else have any advice.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 6:23 pm
also, I would go through each and every file and anyone who hasn't been to the doctor in a specified time I.e. a year (depending on how often people see this dr) and put it in a separate filing cabinet in another room or basement or something.

In terms of payment, you are not just a secretary but you are running his office. Plus a doctor that doesn't see more than a few patients a day and doesn't take insurance usually is a top doctor that can afford a quality worker that is paid well. I don't know what I would ask, but it would be higher than a regular secretarial job. It also depends on your experience and how good you will be iyh.

sunlight

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 6:30 pm
Have you ever done any other secretarial job? Because the filing is pretty much just that: filing. You know, some drawers for the copies you need of empty forms. Some shelves near you to place a couple clipboards with blank forms to give to a new patient to fill out etc. Charts for patients should have their place... Most of stuff are probably filed on computer anyways... You'll figure it out probably.

With making appointments, you can get yourself an appointment book and highlight the times that he would be okay with making time slot for a patient. This way its all clear to you... Just giving suggestions. Also I would try to glean as much as I can of just general medical knowledge because its easier to do your job when you know what's considered an emergency and what can wait.

Hatzlacha rabba...

Petra

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 7:02 pm
You need to ask him for his schedule "template" which is appointment times and length of appointment for new and established patients. and get an appointment book and fill it with slots he wants. Needs to be 6 months in advance if not longer. You also need to know his vacation schedule so you can block those days. Files are filed by last name. You need to know how he wants messages handled. (Ie- will he call patients back or do you call them back and relay what he said.) also need to know how results will be conveyed. Does he expect patients to come for an appointment, will he send a letter you type up, or will he call them? does he also want you to do book-keeping? If so, hope you are getting paid well. 4 to 5 patients a day is not much though so wont be too hectic. Final piece of advice, dont do anything medical you arent trained or licensed for.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 7:18 pm
I'm the first amother just curious what kind of doctor it is that will be seeing so few patients a day? Also find out if you will need to be in charge of restocking the exam rooms... Ordering what's needed for them ie table paper..

Sherri

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 7:25 pm
Go Imamother!

Good luck OP!!

Sherri

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 7:27 pm
A link I just found that might be helpful:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/567954
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics