Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Gital Dodelson, agunah featured in N.Y. Post, obtains get R
1  2  3  4  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 3:04 am
http://www.jta.org/2014/02/05/.....s-get

NEW YORK (JTA) – Gital Dodelson, the “chained” woman featured on the front page of the New York Post last fall, says she has received a get, or religious writ of divorce, from her husband.
The announcement appeared Wednesday afternoon on a Facebook page dedicated to helping Dodelson obtain a get and was confirmed by a publicist who has worked with the Dodelson family.
In a story than ran in the Post on Nov. 4, 2013, and in subsequent media interviews, Dodelson detailed her struggle to obtain a religious divorce from her ex-husband, Avrohom Meir Weiss, whom she had divorced in civil court in August 2012.
According to traditional Jewish law, or halachah, a woman must obtain a get from her husband to be considered divorced; women whose husbands deny them a get are called agunot, or chained wives.
Shira Dicker, the publicist who has worked with the Dodelson family in their public campaign to compel Weiss to give the get, said the pressure finally worked.
“The community pressure really just began to multiply, and then something changed,” Dicker told JTA.
Dodelson’s claim of having received the get could not be independently verified with Weiss, who is a great-grandson of the late Orthodox luminary Rabbi Moshe Feinstein.
Dicker said Dodelson will continue to advocate for the countless Orthodox women chained to recalcitrant husbands.
“The family wants to remain as agunah advocates,” Dicker said. “It doesn’t end with Gital’s get.”

etky

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 3:17 am
In the same, happy, vein - Irit Ron, the Aguna on behalf of whom students from my DD's highschool demonstrated in Tel Aviv last year, was just awarded her get less than 2 weeks ago after 9 long years of being an Aguna.
Let's pray for similar resolutions for all other women in this awful situation.

chavamom

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 10:58 am
I hope her parents didn't have to pay through the nose for this (he wanted a lot of money).

Last edited by chavamom on Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

harriet

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:21 am
chavamom wrote:
I hope her parents to pay through the nose for this (he wanted a lot of money).

The facebook page said last night that they paid "a six figure sum, but not as much as he was originally asking", which I believe was about $350,000. So they paid somewhere between 100,000 and 350,000.

As part of the agreement, the page is no longer in operation (but it was up for a few final hours last night).

QUEENY

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 1:16 pm
chavamom wrote:
I hope her parents to pay through the nose for this (he wanted a lot of money).

Do you mean I hope her parents didn't have to pay?

QUEENY

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 1:17 pm
harriet wrote:
The facebook page said last night that they paid "a six figure sum, but not as much as he was originally asking", which I believe was about $350,000. So they paid somewhere between 100,000 and 350,000.

As part of the agreement, the page is no longer in operation (but it was up for a few final hours last night).

This makes me sick..like paying ransom..he doesn't deserve a dime!

MommyZ

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 2:38 pm
QUEENY wrote:
This makes me sick..like paying ransom..he doesn't deserve a dime!

I'm disgusted.

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Feb 08 2014, 10:33 pm
I am so happy she is finally out of this but I still don't think that it is right, nice or perhaps al pi halacha that she had to 'buy her way out'. Literally.

My husband also said he feels bad for her because after all this she will have a very hard time trusting any other guy suitable for marriage and the same when it comes to her kids.

Sad story.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:56 am
Agreed I'm happy she has her get but I feel it sets such a bad precedent that more guys will demand 6 figure sums to give a get.

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 1:38 am
I feel like women need to take a stand against Get Extortion. There should be some kind of standard prenup that states the Get will be given within a 3 month time frame in case of divorce.

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 6:47 am
how is it halachically ok to pay this money? Shouldn't he be supporting her according to halacha every day that they are married? If that support is not implemented nowadays then why haven't other things changed?

Hopefully no one will go near her ex (or his family) with a ten foot pole after all this publicity.

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 7:05 am
gold21 wrote:
I feel like women need to take a stand against Get Extortion. There should be some kind of standard prenup that states the Get will be given within a 3 month time frame in case of divorce.

3 months from when? When they separate? When the civil divorce is final? When they first call bais din?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 7:12 am
Is there any reason we should ease up on the so-and-so because he accepted a lower price? Maybe stop until the get is final, but afterwards, the rest of us, not the family should continue to treat him like something stuck to the bottom of a shoe until he returns every cent.

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 7:19 am
gold21 wrote:

There is a standard prenup like this available. It was referenced and linked on on of the earlier threads on this topic.

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 11:04 am
shanie5 wrote:
3 months from when? When they separate? When the civil divorce is final? When they first call bais din?

From when it's requested

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 11:12 am
It should be written into the prenup that if the guy withholds the Get for a length of time, it's like the marriage never happened, because it was a Whaddaya-call-it, a false representation of himself, what's the Hebrew term for that? Like if a guy finds out after marrying a girl that she pops 45 pills a day for 15 psych conditions, 15 health conditions, and 15 drug addictions, he could theoretically say she lied to him by not telling him before the marriage?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 11:14 am
Problem is, many rabbis don't recognize value to a halachic pre nup, or even won't do the chuppa. And no, not only talking of charedim...

etky

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 11:20 am
gold21 wrote:
It should be written into the prenup that if the guy withholds the Get for a length of time, it's like the marriage never happened, because it was a Whaddaya-call-it, a false representation of himself, what's the Hebrew term for that? Like if a guy finds out after marrying a girl that she pops 45 pills a day for 15 psych conditions, 15 health conditions, and 15 drug addictions, he could theoretically say she lied to him by not telling him before the marriage?

מקח טעות

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:03 pm
Yes, Mekach Taus. Thanks Etky

bookworm10

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 1:09 pm
I think its disgusting that she had to buy her way out. And I do think this sets a precedent for people having to pay for their get.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics