Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
RIP Shirley Temple Black, actress and ambassador

bigsis144

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:51 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02.....?_r=0

Sad

Here are some of my favorite Shirley Temple moments, the music of my childhood. Rest in peace.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:00 am
My favorite is "Animal Crackers in My Soup."

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 4:16 pm
definitely a fan of shirley temple ... brings back fond memories of my favorite black & white films ...

ditto to animal crackers in my soup Music

rest in peace

EmesOrNT

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 4:19 pm
One of my faves is The Littlest Rebel.

Gotta get me some closet air.

RIP

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 4:24 pm

shosh

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 4:42 pm
My mother was named after Shirley Temple!!!

Apart from that, I have great admiration for her because she was so normal. She didn't fall into the excesses that other child stars did or do, such as Judy Garland, who was married about five or six times and was a drug addict, or Elizabeth Taylor, who was incredibly decadent, or the more modern child stars, like Drew Barrymore or Macaulay Culkin. She managed to lead a normal, productive life, probably because her parents still allowed to have a childhood.

A very worthwhile person.

ShirleyTemple

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 4:52 pm
Loved watching her films too, hence my screen name. :-)

RIP

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 4:58 pm
http://www.aish.com/sp/pg/Shir.....e=yes

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 5:01 pm
shosh wrote:
My mother was named after Shirley Temple!!!

Apart from that, I have great admiration for her because she was so normal. She didn't fall into the excesses that other child stars did or do, such as Judy Garland, who was married about five or six times and was a drug addict, or Elizabeth Taylor, who was incredibly decadent, or the more modern child stars, like Drew Barrymore or Macaulay Culkin. She managed to lead a normal, productive life, probably because her parents still allowed to have a childhood.

A very worthwhile person.

her parents did not allow her to have a normal childhood. she was kept separate from the other children she worked with, worked longer work days than any of us, thought having a career from the age of three was normal, starred in short films in which she had to dress up as movie stars in diapers, had her own cottage at fox studios, and eventually was expected to play with a couple of girls from her neighborhood at strictly scheduled times and only at her house. she spent sundays with her hair being set into curls, so she couldn't do certain activities. she did not go to school until her career started to taper off, and then her mother signed a new contract for her and took her out of school against her will. she didn't really have a childhood. whatever she had was highly orchestrated.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 7:43 am
mummiedearest wrote:
her parents did not allow her to have a normal childhood. she was kept separate from the other children she worked with, worked longer work days than any of us, thought having a career from the age of three was normal, starred in short films in which she had to dress up as movie stars in diapers, had her own cottage at fox studios, and eventually was expected to play with a couple of girls from her neighborhood at strictly scheduled times and only at her house. she spent sundays with her hair being set into curls, so she couldn't do certain activities. she did not go to school until her career started to taper off, and then her mother signed a new contract for her and took her out of school against her will. she didn't really have a childhood. whatever she had was highly orchestrated.

Yeah, I've heard some hairy stuff about her childhood years. And yet, when she was no longer a child she didn't go to desperate, destructive means to stay in the celebrity limelight, and she had a pretty productive and normal adulthood. Still something to learn from.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics