Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
DH wants to name baby after Lubavitcher Rebbe

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 5:26 am
And I am perfectly happy doing so. I am a big fan of Chabad and know the Lubavitcher Rebbe was a great man.

But I was hoping some of you could give me some adjectives or descriptions of his character/personality. Since I don't know that much about what he was like.

Also, for a first name, we have a name after a relative. So I'm curious if it is ok (by Lubavitchers at least) to give a 2nd name after a different person. I.e., could the middle name be Menachem?

mimivan

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 6:24 am
Mazal tov mazal tov! Yiddishe nachas!

First of all, it is hard to describe the Rebbe standing on one foot, but what I feel makes him special was his perfect combination of unimaginably vast learning and absolute ahavas Yisroel. He would bring insights into the Torah that impressed the leaders of the generation, and he would also send young families to the other side of the world in case a Jew might happen to be in Timbuktu and need something.

This is what, I think, sets him apart.

The second question is trickier....We have a Schneur Zalman Avraham because he was born on Chai Elul (Schneur Zalman of Liadi's birthday...also the Besht;s) but my FIL really wanted us to put in Avraham for his father. Although some people do not combine names of gadolim with names of relatives, our mashpia said we could for shalom.

Again harbe nachas! Very Happy

brooklyn

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 7:36 am
I personally don't see why you can't name after two people, I did that for my son.

momof6

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 7:51 am
There is alot of info. about the Rebbe on Chabad.org.
Yiddishe Chassidishe Nachas.
Although Lubavitcher minhag is not to mix the name of a tzadik w/ another name, many ppl do mix names (My sister has a mixed name).
It sounds like that would be best for you, and no Lubavitchers would get upset. I expect that you will get many nice comments.
Much Yiddishe Nachas!

momof6

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 7:54 am
http://www.chabad.org/therebbe/default.asp

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:03 am
I have seen many Menachem Mendel Something or Chaya Mushka Something, so I suppose it is ok?

mimivan

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:07 am
Yeah...just because some people don't, it certainly isn't a prob, otherwise our mashpia would not have suggested it (our mashpia who said "yes" in our case is from a family that goes way back with the Schneersohnn family in Russia)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics