Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Things to do in frankfurt germany?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:04 pm
We have a twelve hour layover in Germany and we would like to leave the airport and do something fun.
I know that the airport is pretty close to the city and was hoping someone here may know of restaurants, activities or any famous sites that we could visit.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:27 pm
Auschwitz?

Sorry, it makes me a little Puke that you are looking to have fun in Germany.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:31 pm
no kosher restaurants in Frankfort as far as I know..
you could go to the Main (pronounced Mine ) River, there's a walkway along it and a touristy area, I think a Jewish Museum too....I'll try to remember more.
oh, there's a really hip shopping area downtown...I'll look up the name for you.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:41 pm
Thank you MommyLuv

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:00 pm
The shopping area is called the Zeil-it's an outdoor pedestrian mall.

withhumor

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:55 pm
Eat sauerkraut and cole slaw
Shop designer for less, feel guilty, then wear it anyway.

Piper

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
Auschwitz?

Sorry, it makes me a little Puke that you are looking to have fun in Germany.

The Jewish community in Germany is growing again. I know someone who was born there and she misses it.

faigie

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:35 pm
the very idea of germany makes me ill. on the other hand, the yidden there, say they stay there IN SPITE of the nazim yemach shemam, whos purpose was to erradicate the jews.
having said that, I wouldnt spend a tourist dime with those non jews, apart from going to see the lager camp and such.. to do something to support the community, of course I would leave money.
have you ever bent down and touched the cobblestones from the warsaw ghetto? you would swear you could feel/ hear them scream.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 3:29 pm
faigie, I know what you mean. you can't spend a minute in Germany and not feel the horrors in your very skin, it's unescapable.
But many Jews-particularly Israelis-choose to live there, and there's a lot of growth in Yiddishkeit right now.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 4:37 pm
Frankfurt has a strong Jewish history. There are probably shuls (if they weren't destroyed) and Kevorim you could visit. (including many of my ancestors)

There are lots of russian Jews living in Germany. Apparantly the German govt felt so bad that there was virtually no Jewish community left after a 1000 year plus history they made it vey easy for Jews to move there, so lots of Russians came. Outside France and England, I think Germany has one of the largest Jewish communities in Europe.

smiley:)

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 4:38 pm
[quote="amother"]Auschwitz?

Sorry, it makes me a little Puke that you are looking to have fun in Germany.[/quote]

Auschwitz isnt in Germany

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 5:44 pm
Raisin wrote:
Frankfurt has a strong Jewish history. There are probably shuls (if they weren't destroyed) and Kevorim you could visit. (including many of my ancestors)

There are lots of russian Jews living in Germany. Apparantly the German govt felt so bad that there was virtually no Jewish community left after a 1000 year plus history they made it vey easy for Jews to move there, so lots of Russians came. Outside France and England, I think Germany has one of the largest Jewish communities in Europe.

Isn't Shimshon Rafael Hirsch from Frankfurt? Also there's a tiny yeshiva of all places. I can't imagine going to yeshiva in Frankfort but I know someone there.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 5:48 pm
OP was looking for fun stuff to do. She didn't ask about kivrei tzadikim or shuls or yeshivas.

faigie

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 6:30 pm
kivrei tzadikim is a wonderful idea, such a wonderful opportunity to go and get a bracha from such a place.
it is a good stuch to those nazim that yidden are flourishing again. im sure the community there knows about fun stuff to do, maybe call the chabad house for info. anyway theyll need food and a minyan etc.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
OP was looking for fun stuff to do. She didn't ask about kivrei tzadikim or shuls or yeshivas.

for some people fun stuff equals kivrei tzakim shuls and yeshivas. thought this was a frum board. go figure. Confused

Squash

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 7:11 pm
I would call kivrei tzadikim inspiring, a great opportunity... and yeshivas and shuls interesting. When I think of fun I think of something not on that spiritual plane.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 7:28 pm
inspiriing is fun to me. although certainly I wasn't suggesting they are only things you can do in Frankfort but it was somewhat silly that someone is complaining because someone mentioned these possibilities. Whatever.

faigie

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 7:38 pm
to me fun means exciting. to have a chance to go and daven by a kever is so high up on my excitement scale, I cant even hardly find much higher........ok I like archeology too.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:08 pm
OP, you can travel an hour away to Rashi's kever, shul and mikvah in Worms. If you can find a way to get there, it's a very special trip you'll remember forever.

There's also cemetery there at least 1000 years old, the Maharam of Rotenberg is buried there, among other tzadikm.
It's hard to believe Worms was once like Jerusalem...it's practically devoid of Jews today.

You can also visit the old Jewish ghetto where Rashi's shul is located, and there's a jewish museum there with amazing stuff. (the Germans are very good at putting us behind glass exhibits Mad )

I'm looking through my old pics of the summer I spent in Frankfurt....this brings back lots of memories.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:15 pm
If you decide to go to shul, be careful because some look Orthodox and have members who look frum, but aren't really Orthodox Exclamation There is a new kind of Mo in Germany, that is very frum on some aspects, but out of halacha on others!
(not trying to create a controversy, just warning u).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics