Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Homemade containers

amother

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 8:43 pm
I found the idea for the cutest homemade containers for shaloch manos online. They are made out of empty soda bottles. Then u line them with gift wrapping paper. My husband said ppl may be grossed out that it's made with empty bottles. Do u think its gross or fine? Wanna hear ur opinions! Tia

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 8:46 pm
I'd be grossed out.
Sorry.
Most people don't want to receive arts-n-crafts as mishloach manot.

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 9:17 pm
I don't think it's gross if you wash it and dry it very well, assuming you're not putting food directly into it without a wrapper.

But it might not be the most elegant either - unless you are very good with your hands and are very creative.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 9:48 pm
I think it's a great idea. more power to you. obviously you'll be washing and polishing the bottles very well and wrapping the food so it doesn't touch the plastic. Soda bottles are made of a type of plastic that should not be reused for food because it a. harbors bacteria more than most plastics and b. breaks down and leaches toxic componenets into food. So if you wanted to, say, fill the bottles with popcorn without a liner, I'd say no. But so long as you're lining the bottles and wrapping the food, go for it.

If the packages look homemade, so what? They're obviously a labor of love and are not adding still more packaging material to our already overburdened waste stream. It pains me to see how much money people spend on fancy MM presentation materials that just get thrown out in the trash.

Sorry, lady Godiva, speak for yourself. What I don't like to get is MM in which the FOOD has been used as an arts & crafts project, iow it has been handled by human hands a bit too much. You know the kind of thing I mean: a Purim mask made of dried fruit glued in place with marshmallow cream--how likely is it that the artist wore gloves when putting together this magnum opus? But arts-and--crafts packaging bothers me not at all. Even if it's a brown paper bag on which my friend's two-year-old scribbled with crayons. Not elegant, no, but where is it written than MM has to be elegant? I rather like the thought that the MM was a family project and even the youngest was put to work in preparation--as long as it wasn't the preparation of the FOOD.

And as long as they don't include an icky-sticky pathetic attempt at "poetry". (Ducking under the table to avoid being pelted with rotten prunes by incensed balabostes whose kallah teachers taught them that the "ikkar" of MM is the theme, tied with the poem that explains the theme, and the food itself is of tertiary importance. )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics