Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Pastrami Hamantashen, Cute Idea!

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 4:52 pm
Not my thing, but I thought these are adorable (and might be pretty tasty too!) for anyone who enjoys these types of things.

http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....d=331

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, diced
6 ounces chopped pastrami (or deli of your choice)
1 tablespoon mayo
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon honey
1 squirt hot sauce
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
20 round wonton wrappers
1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until extra soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
2. Add pastrami and saute for 1 to 2 additional minutes. Stir in mayonnaise, ketchup, honey, hot sauce, and soy sauce.
3. Place 1 teaspoon filling in the middle of each wrapper. Brush cornstarch mixture around the edges (this will help seal the hamantashen). Fold into hamantashen shape.
4. To bake the hamantashen, preheat oven to 400F. Place hamantashen on a lined baking sheet and spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Alternatively, you can fry the hamantashen (of course, it's much tastier this way and that's the version I prefer). Heat 1 inch oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add hamantashen and fry until golden and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.

willow

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 5:35 am
With wonton wrappers I find you can not make in advance as they get soggy/soft

HakolTov

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 7:27 pm
Did anyone make the recipe above?

HakolTov

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 8:44 pm
willow wrote:
With wonton wrappers I find you can not make in advance as they get soggy/soft

Do you recommend pizza circles instead?

HakolTov

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 11:06 am
Bump

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 11:16 am
I made mushroom hamentashen (filling recipe was in mishpacha ff). I used puff pastry dough because I had some in my freezer that I want to use before Pesach. I rolled it out and cut circles, filled and shaped. Froze them raw, gonna pop into oven and bake tomorrow.

The filling was delicious.

lfab

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 11:25 am
Chayalle wrote:
I made mushroom hamentashen (filling recipe was in mishpacha ff). I used puff pastry dough because I had some in my freezer that I want to use before Pesach. I rolled it out and cut circles, filled and shaped. Froze them raw, gonna pop into oven and bake tomorrow.

The filling was delicious.

That sounds really good (I love mushrooms). If you are able to can you please post the recipe?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 11:30 am
lfab wrote:
That sounds really good (I love mushrooms). If you are able to can you please post the recipe?

Saute a large onion for about 10 minutes in 1/4 cup oil (I didn't measure exactly). Add in 16 oz thinly sliced fresh mushrooms, saute another 10 minutes. Stir frequently. Add a cube of frozen garlic, 2 tsp salt (I would add a little less, 1 1/2 tsp), shake of pepper, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp onion soup mix. Add 1/4 flour to thicken.

Use as filling. I used 1 package (both pieces) of pepperidge farm flaky dough, and it was perfect ratio of dough to filling!

I'm figuring to bake till golden. Probably about 20 minutes or so....maybe a little more.

HakolTov

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 11:47 am
But no one made the recipe above???

synthy

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 11:53 am
I made hamantashen with pizza rounds, filled with ground beef. The dough held up beautifully and tastes delicious.

HakolTov

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 1:33 pm
synthy wrote:
I made hamantashen with pizza rounds, filled with ground beef. The dough held up beautifully and tastes delicious.

Did you fry or bake?

synthy

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 1:46 pm
vrichards wrote:
Did you fry or bake?
Baked
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus