Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do 'young' couples support themselves financially?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 7:58 am
How do young couples support themselves and their families when they are getting married at 18? or even 24?

shayna82

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:04 am
um, if they have jobs, or at least one of them does - wouldnt that be enough???

and a job that has benefits is a help too?

not sure what your question is?

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:08 am
that's funny I just got into a heated discussion with my friends 21 year old son ... about boys not planning for the future ... too busy learning ... I think there should be dif categories of boys that yeshiva looks upon and okays them to take on a level of learning and working that will work for them for now and later ... depending on the capabilities of that individual ... and still be respected by their peers and community and the girls they go out with ...

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:10 am
A job one gets with just a high school education cannot support a couple, never mind a family. It is extremely expensive to live in Jewish neighborhoods, keep kosher, send your kids to yeshiva. Just paying for rent and utilities alone is impossible. Most single college educated and emplyed well individuals find it necessary to share rent with multiple roomates.
There is not way a young couple can afford to support themselves.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:11 am
they get a job!!!!!
somebody gotta pay those bills!!!

Flowerchild

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:13 am
Quote:
How do young couples support themselves and their families when they are getting married at 18? or even 24?

they rob a bank, really, you just dont know.

ok but seriously I dont know about an 18 year old, but sure do hope that a 24 year old person has a job they are not kids they are adults and most people hold jobs at this age. at 18 I can still see some who dont have jobs who might be in college, but the way they can support themselves is either have jobs, parents help for a while, or if in college can live off loans thats what one of my friends did when she married at 18, now she is in her 20s and has a job. how do most people support themselves?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:13 am
for a young couple its even easier since they dont have the expense of kids yet. (clothing, formula, pampers etc...)

shayna82

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:17 am
amother wrote:
A job one gets with just a high school education cannot support a couple, never mind a family. It is extremely expensive to live in Jewish neighborhoods, keep kosher, send your kids to yeshiva. Just paying for rent and utilities alone is impossible. Most single college educated and emplyed well individuals find it necessary to share rent with multiple roomates.

what are you talking about????

yes its expensive to live in a jewish neighborhood, but it depends where? brooklyn, miami, los angeles, yes, very expensive, virtually impossible. but not attainable. other places like out of town, - like pittsburgh, its not that hard to pay the 750 rent on a two bedroom apartment witha steady job. paying for rent and utilities is NOT impossible. we arent talking about single college kids. we didnt get help from either side, and we are fine, and dont expect it. my husband has a great job with awesome benefits. most here have good jobs.

im assuming that you come from one of the above mentioned cities.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:21 am
amother wrote:
for a young couple its even easier since they dont have the expense of kids yet. (clothing, formula, pampers etc...)

and how quick do you think this young couple has a baby ... 9 months and if they are lucky usually within a year ... kid yourself not ...

we need to change the world so that they get hold of this situation ... and it becomes respectable to earn a parnassa ...

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:23 am
I agree completely Greenfire.

We have to make it respectable for the woman and the man to both earn a parnassa.

Nobody also mentioned the fact that many of our community receives goverment support. WELFARE.

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:25 am
Amother I was just going to write the government supports them!!!!! Okey I know that is a generalisation but in the UK the government support alot of people and it actually wiorks out better if you get benefits that to work.

brooklyn

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:27 am
Even if one works it probably won't be enough. In todays age most families have two incomes in order to get by.

shayna82

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:30 am
I think that is something that is not the average in smaller towns. almost all the younger woman here in pittsburgh are home with their kids, while their husbands have jobs. 80 percent of them have houses with mortgages and a couple in school already. this mentality is not seen everywhere. most people get by here with one income, with money leftover.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:52 am
well over here everybody is so big on learning ... I do not see tzaddikim ... my sons school didn't even know how to help me get him the sats ... I think that is appalling ... he is a good smart boy ... both in limudei hakodesh and secular ... and he too feels the yeshiva doesn't care ... he learns in his free time and does odd jobs to make a few bucks ... but for yeshivas to make it taboo ... to get a higher education and a respectable job ... has left lots to be desired

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:56 am
Quote:
Most single college educated and emplyed well individuals find it necessary to share rent with multiple roomates.

all I know is that a major reason why single ppl share apartments is because it would be lonely without anyone else there.......

Quote:
thats just plain not true....fine, you cant live in an expensive area, you move to the suburbs or out of town...we live outside of jerusalem because the cost of living and rent put together was very prohibitive, but we manage just fine where we live...

Quote:
are you kidding? that is NOT any way to go into a marriage..."well, we are going to be ok financially because we have no kids yet"...nobody knows when HaShem will bring children into this world.....and you have to be ready, mentally and financially, I think.

Quote:
yes its expensive to live in a jewish neighborhood, but it depends where? brooklyn, miami, los angeles, yes, very expensive, virtually impossible. but not attainable. other places like out of town, - like pittsburgh, its not that hard to pay the 750 rent on a two bedroom apartment witha steady job. paying for rent and utilities is NOT impossible. we arent talking about single college kids. we didnt get help from either side, and we are fine, and dont expect it. my husband has a great job with awesome benefits. most here have good jobs.
like what I said above, here in many many communities in israel there are many families like that, where there is one income and the other spouse stays home with the children and nobody is lacking for things...

Quote:
Even if one works it probably won't be enough. In todays age most families have two incomes in order to get by.
again, I think that that is talking about major cities, not if you live out of the city or out of town, like I said we do.....it cuts back on many different costs of living.

shayna82

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:57 am
its like that here also, but not to the same degree. I dont think my husband took sat's either, didnt go to college, but has a great job at a university. they definitly didnt push college or anything like that. it is sad.

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 9:08 am
I expect that his family is being supported by the British govenment.

http://mangalorean.com/news.ph.....41979

Here in the UK teenagers expecially get themselves pregnant because it means they get their own flats and everything payed for them. It seems that the tax payer has to pay for this.

Someone that I teach with owns some houses. One of these teenage girls rents the house. she has not payed rent for months. The woman that I work with has been told that she is not allowed to contact her for the rent, becaus the social services are involved and if she does the police can be called ans she can be arrested for harasment. If she took her to court the judge will take the tenants side because she has a child and especially if she gets herself pregnant. She is basically kissing goodbye to the owned rent and it is going to cost her to go to the court and get an eviction order and to get the bailiffs in.

So basically here in the UK the law is more weighed to people who get benefits to people who work. So yes that is how many young married people live in the UK on benefits

shayna82

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 9:17 am
also if people learn to live with less, lots of time they will realize that on one salary, everyone gets what they need, and money up for luxuries. so its not, we NEED twosalaries, we would like two salaries. but of cource in lots of cases, two salaries is a needed aspect of the financial situation, OR the wife feels she needs to work for whatever reason.

withhumor

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 9:22 am
When dh and I got married, it was agreed that he will be working right after. He found himself a job that was paying a ton for us at the time, we had a ‘luxurious’ start because I was also working. If couples get married and the dh plans NOT to work right away, it comes with an agreement that someone will support them. Either the inlaws or the wife works, or both.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 9:26 am
whatever their plans are going into a young marriage ... things morph ... life changes... circumstances change ... and nobody takes that into account as well ... not every woman is cut out to have kids and keep a job ... it depends on the situation ...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics